Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Ainsley Jo Phillips

I always loved to observe him eating. He really got into the food. Almost orgasmic about it. Just wanted to reach through the TV screen, pull him out, and hug him like a big, cuddly teddy bear!

Hal

I always wanted to meet him. May he ris in peace.

Extravagantly-Creative

Another Veteran Actor from Classic Old-School Hollywood is lost forever unfortunately.

Dom DeLuise was a very talented actor who brought many laughs to several people throughout his long career.

LULU

GOD SPEED! YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED. OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Honeythorn

One of the GREATS!! We will miss you so Dom.

Ellen

Dom was awesome! Best movie line ever from Blazing Saddles...."That guys nuts......grab em!" Will miss him terribly

marc jay

Dom lived in Pacific Palisades,California.Where I live.I met him in person twice in my life ,but use to see him around town all the time.he'd be walking around.
I worked at a photo store and he came in right after Natalie Wood died.Dom and Natalie were in a movie together.When he walked in the photo store he said a natalie driftwood joke and then started to cry. Another time I bagged his groceries at the local market I worked at.He seemed very serious.I walked his carft of groceries with him to his car.He did'nt say a word.Still he was a very nice man.Also ,some of my family members knew Dom's sons.He loved them so much and was a loving father and a good husband to his wife carol.
My favorite film that Dom starred in was "FATSO".Ann Bancroft co-starred in that movie with him.I was so hungry for food watching that.Dom should of been given an award for that film.He was Great in it.
thank you Dom for being a wonderful human being.

greeneyedlass

Actually, he was in Space Balls...he was Pizza The Hut. He was a great person and will be missed!!! Another great gone...so sad.

janet

I very much respected this man and will miss his humor, RIP.

Aquanet

So sad! Very funny man that loved life, family. and food. Never heard a bad word about him. I will enjoy a nice Italian sub with everything on it and a nice glass of wine in his honor! Buona Sera Dom.

LNDZ

Sad news. His kids are great actors as well. The one on "Gilmore Girls" was really talented.

Brian Peppers

RIP!

Ooooo Noooo!

Highly regarded as a chef, he has published two books of his favorite Italian recipes, "Eat This!" and "Eat This, Too!"
Favorite quote: "I'm really a thin person. I only play a fat funny guy in the movies."
Class act -- loved him.

LisaL

Oh my gosh.... so sad :(
RIP.... RIP

vmj

Always loved him. Seemed like such a nice man. He will be missed. God's gain, our loss...