Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Resiak

NO! Not, Itchy Itchiford!

Lenn K.

Another of the greats of my generation has passed. This guy was a class act and very funny. Godspeed to your family.

MaryMac

Dom's son is the dad on Wizards of Waverly Place and you can just tell that Dom raised his children to be really nice people. Dom will be so missed. My favorite Dom line went something like this:

When my family gets together we eat and eat and eat until somebody dies.

R.I.P. Thanks for the laughs!

Sebastian Stoker

He was a great comic character who helped to make the 70's the funniest decade.

Lori

God Bless this man. He was a WONDERFUL comedian. Thank you for all the years of laughter Dom. You will be GREATLY MISSED. I pray for his family during this difficult time.

:what ev errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

R.I.P Dom

Disneymom

This truly saddens me. How he made me laugh. Rest In Peace! My condolences and prayers for him and his family.

gina

he was so funny, we will all be sad .we lost one of the best.

ntvnat

To quote the bastard dad from the movie 'Stand By Me': "It should have been you, Gordie."

Only replace the name Gordie w/ the name Good Burger (Kenan Thompson)!!!!!!!!

fat_aggie

Maybe Xistenz99 ought to take a look at IMDb himself. TMZ is right. Dom DeLuise was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in Spaceballs.

MaryMac

I also loved Dom with Burt Reynolds in The End...my favorite part was when Burt is going to have Dom push him off the top of the building and he keeps saying it's not high enough. At the last second, Burt steps aside and Dom goes over the edge and falls to the ground. He then looks up and says "you were right...it's not high enough!"

Lucie in the Sky with Diamonds

OMG!!! This is another sad day for comedy. When I think of Dom Deluise - the first thing that comes to mind is one of his greatest performance in 'History of the World Part II' as Ceasar; and I quote, "Oh it's so lonely at the top of Olympus!"

We will miss you Dom!

Quizziemama

So sad to hear about Dom passing away, thoughts and prayers are with his family. Fondest memories are of him starring in The Cannonball Run with Jack Elam, Burt Reynolds etc. He was such an hilarious man, may heaven be a brighter place with him up there.

nola1961

He was one of the best. I had the good fortune of meeting Dom. He was attending the 1987 NATPE convention in New Orleans. All of the stars of tv and screen were there. I was working the convention as a volunteer and I saw Dom. I yelled to him, "DOM!!" He turned and came over to say hello. He was kind enough to take a photo with me. I still have it. He was a real comedian. Who could forget the classic "Tonight Show" skit with the eggs and broomstick. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try looking it up on youtube.com. He and Burt were great together in the "Smokey and the Bandit Part II". "Fatso" was great but my favorite of all times was "Hot Stuff." RIP Dom. Heaven just got a little bit funnier.

Bridgid

Whenever I heard of his name I thought of his acting role in the straight to video movie Fatso. In fact, I wouldn't say he was acting for he lived his life with compassion, kindness, love, and generosity. My love to his family, whom he loved so much.