Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Danielle

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Dom and his wife while Carol was working on a play I was as assistant for. He came to hekp out and took the cast and crew to dinner. He grabbed the light over the tabel, threw water in the air and shouted, "Man overboard, Man overboard!" Man, he was funny. Also, he was a stand-up guy. Another time we all went out was to a bar and grill. I was only 18 at the time and they wouldn't let me in. He made a huge stink and fuss about it and they finally let me in with the rest of the group. Dom-you'll be missed. He was truely a class act.

NudeMoon

A true class act and gentleman! He still makes me laugh to this day when I watch his movies! SALUD Dom!!

blac

Lord save his soul ...
I just learned that Dom DeLuise-died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.
He was 75.
The history of life:Dom DeLuise-FILM

LYNDSAY

A GREAT COMEDIAN...SURELY WILL BE MISSED!

unzipt

To Xistenz99: You should surf over to IMDB yourself before you criticize TMZ. Dom DeLuise is shown as providing the voice for Pizza the Hutt in SPACEBALLS. Rather than bemoaning TMZ's stupidity, you should acknowledge your own.

Bethany Hope

As the voice of Tiger the Cat in The American Tale Dom DeLuise was my first favorite actor, the first one I actually knew the name of. My fascination with the lives of celebrities, the reason I ever visit this site all began with him. I am still and always will be enamored with Dom DeLuise.

sw

A good friend of mine worked with Dom on a movie called "hot stuff" back in 1978 or 79 in Florida. He told me how sweet and nice Dom was to him. At the time my friend was 14 yrs old. Loved Dom in Cannonball Run, but my favorite was the movie "The End" Thanks for all the laughs

jessemosslover

Wow. This was shocking news to wake up to. I knew he was sick, but not THAT sick. He was such a nice man and will be greatly missed. GOD bless and rest in peace.

blac

Lord save his soul ...
I just learned that Dom DeLuise-died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.
He was 75.
The history of life:Dom DeLuise-FILM

Atlanta

Thanks for many years of laughs, friend. Blazing Saddles, after 30+ years, is still one of my favorite movies. Truly classic slapstick comedy with twists all over the place. You will surely be missed not only by your family, but by your millions of fans.

Will

I am truly in shock to see one of the funniest big guys to die. Truly a king among the most of his work being the fall guy for joke setups. Dom was a gentlemen and one of the brightest stars I had the honor to meet. His personality filled the room. Rest in peace to him and his family may deepest respects to you! I wish this was not his last curtain call but atleast heaven is getting a lot funnier. Will C. Va

not to be petty, but...

The man was a GREAT talent, and looked like he just loved life to its fullest. He will be greatly missed by many. On a side note:

Xistenz99 before you accuse people of not doing their research and their level of intelligence, you might want to make sure you practice what you preach. They did not say that HE was in Spaceballs, but that he provided his voice to a character. Also if YOU had really done an "a simple IMDB search before you post", YOU would have noticed that he is mentioned. Enough said.

David L. McNiel

RIP, Dom; you are gonna be missed! :(

Zoya

Dom Deluise was in Spaceballs as Pizza the Hut.... Great Actor Great Author and according to everything I have ever seen written abt him A Awesome Human Being

dhuntguru

for the dum@## who said he wasent in spaceballs do your home work moron ,he was the voice of pizza the hut on that note ,GOD SPEED DOM YOU WILL BE MISSED.........