Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Twinker

What a nice guy and great mutlifaceted entertainer! He will be missed. His talent and special brand of comedy spanned over 3 generations and just goes to show that all fat people don't die young.

Lloyd G

Such fond memories of growing up in the seventies and finding Mr. DeLuise so funny! Just one of those people who posessed such strong self confidence and was able to put themselves in funny situations allowing us (the audience) many hours of relaxed, sincere entertainment. A true "personality", and one of those people whose proverbial "mold" was broken. RIP Dom, you were so funny!! ; )

HDMarsh

Very sad indeed. Thank God his wonderful humor is preserved in media. He will be missed.

DLC

A classic example of a life well lived, and enjoyed to the fullest!

My heart goes out to his family, he was one of a kind!

Captain Jack

DOM, You gave us all many laughs and things to think about. Thank you! DOM more men should be like you, a real gentleman and a great cook. God Bless! Captain Jack will miss you.

Nance

What a great man .........RIP sweet man

yo

Dom was in Blazing Saddles as the Gay Director towards the end of the movie the big fight seen. Classic scene. He will be missed

Mike

MY prayers are with Dom and his family. He was a great comedian, his timing was impecable! He made me laugh constantly...he will be missed.
God Bless!

blac

Lord save his soul ...
I just learned that Dom DeLuise-died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.
He was 75.
The history of life:Dom DeLuise-FILM

Greg Harewood

"You are parasite. Like Goa'ould." The single best episode of SG-1 ever. Rest In Peace, Dom.

Mrs. Pine

I have seen Blazing Saddles a million times and I don't remember him in it???

However, Dom's acting tour de force was the title role in "Fatso." I am totally serious when I say IMO this was one of the best movies ever made about addiction. Was there anything sadder than when his impulses drove him to devour his nephew's communion cake, ruining the little boy's party? And remember the "Chubby Chasers" support group, whom he called upon to save him from his out of control eating, only to have them too weaken and join him in the all-night pig-out. It was like an episode of "Intervention" gone wrong.

STFUP

"Have some respect for the guy, he was not in Space Balls, can't your guys do a simple IMDB search before you post"

Can you?

He WAS in Spaceballs - the voice of Pizza The Hut.

Mrs. Pine

#122 Yes I agree Fatso was a terrific movie, way underrated, and directed by the late great Ann Bancroft. (The recovering fatties' group was called "The Chubby Checkers," not the Chubby Chasers FYI).

As a child of the 70s, I will always remember Dom from The Mike Douglas Show, Dean Martin roasts, etc.

Thanks for the great memories Fatso!

Gordon

His most memorable role was the avaricious Russian priest in the early Brooks film, The Twelve Chairs.

rjt

I met him in the early 1990's in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans. It was about 1AM and you could tell he was really tired. I asked for his autograph and he was so pleasant. He asked for my name, my wife's name and then for my kid's name's. When told him, I had no kids, he asked for my dog's name and made the autograph out to me, my wife, and my dog. What a GREAT guy he was.