Carrie Prejean -- The Origin of Homophobia

5/7/2009 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carrie PrejeanSo how does a beauty queen turn into the poster child against gay marriage? In the case of Miss California Carrie Prejean, the answer may lie in an ugly divorce that may have cemented her views on gay relationships.

Carrie's parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade -- it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.

In one of the docs, Carrie's dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where "Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality."

The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said "The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate."

Carrie's mom says the "gay" allegations went both ways. In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says "The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay." The father's response: "The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather's brother being gay, not the stepfather."

Launch PhotosAlso in the docs -- a handwritten letter from Carrie's older sister, in which she recounts a weekend stay with her dad: "One time my sister & I went in the hallway of my dad's apartment, & his roommate's door was open all the way & we saw [the roommate] in bed with another man. I don't think it's right for my sister & I to have to live that way."

So does Carrie believe gays broke up her parents' marriage? We called her rep ... no comment so far. We could not reach Carrie's dad for comment.

For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers -- which we have elected not to publish.

Previous 15 Comments | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29

TMZSUXS

How To Convince People To Support Gay Marriage:

1) Call anyone that disagrees with you a homophobe, a bigot, or a hatemonger.

2) Publish blacklists over the internet of anyone that dared to not vote your way.

3) Assault people. For senior citizens, destroy their crosses.

4) Protest all day long in a threatening way.

5) Tell people that your vote is the only one that matters.

6. Destroy property.

7. Send terroristic mails with white powder to churches.

8. Boycott businesses of people that disagree with you.

9. Preach tolerance, but practice forcing your beliefs down people's throats.

10. Preach love, but practice hate.

11. Preach equality, then trample on the rights of others.

12. Tell people that marriage won't be taught in public schools after the exact opposite
happens.

13. Sue everybody

1932 days ago

Chris

First of all, this girl does not need all of the harassment the media is giving her.
That being said, all of us posting on this article are being hypocritical if we agree with that statement.

And third, the entire gay population did not provoke this mess. Perez Hilton provoked this mess. To group all homosexuals together into a single category and accuse them of such hatred is as controversial as this article. Yes, a part of the gay population appears to be hateful, but that does not include all of us. That being said, I'd like to add that I have also been raised in a Christian setting, both parents are happily married, living in possibly one of the most functional families in America with a mom and a dad, and I'm gay.
I believe that Ms. California is entitled to her opinion. To say anything else would be stripping her of the rights we all enjoy equally in this country. But to accuse me of actively hating her is unjust, for I have not done so.
In addition, read your bibles. Given that you are Christian. They teach peace, love, and tolerance. (That being said I am being slightly intolerant though not to the level that many whom are lashing out against gays in this commentary are). There are stories that promote homosexuals, but not homosexual acts. And yes, there are passages against homosexual acts. And yes, the bible doesn't promote gay marriage.
But what else does it not promote?
Bi-racial marriage and sex. That's a sin, according to the bible.
Any form of sex that is not in a certain set position, penis in vagina. And it must be for procreation.
Any of you who have performed or receive oral sex, or who haven't had sex in those strict set of terms proposed in the bible-according to the holy book itself, you will be burning in hell with me.

So think about it. It's not just the gays that are sinning. It's most of the people in our country, especially my generation. And no, I'm not heterophobic. I love my family, and my friends, who are all straight. I appreciate that they respect me as a person and, yes, there are some differences that we have. But we get past that.
Who I am intolerant of are those who are actively intolerant of me, where I do not do blatant things such as ask a controversial question in the method which Perez Hilton did. I just want to live. I personally don't even care if I get married, I just want to be recognized as a human without being oppressed for who I am. I am not sick. I know I am not sick. I'm human. Not all of us were made right. Some of us are flawed, some of us are different. That's what makes us who we are.

1928 days ago

Emma C

Wow... I'm straight myself, but very strongly for Gay Rights and marriage equality and I'm actually quite horrified by all the disgustingly homophobic comments on this article... I find it so sad and depressing that people can be still be so intolerant and in such an unapologetic, almost proud sort of way. Such narrow-mindedness. Makes me feel even stronger on the subject!

1913 days ago

Justadude

Carries woes are not because she answered the question about Gay Marriage...its because of the level she took it to, and because of using the pageant as a soap box as little miss religious...meanwhile, being a hypocrite. Its that simple...people for or against Gay marriage are mostly all against hypocrites. This woman sold her soul long ago.

1904 days ago

Jesse Vasquez

How far we have come as a people,When if your belief is within a belief and still you are renounce for your views when views vary in so many ways yet when linked with honor or righteous truths you will become a target remember the words if they hated me they will hate you if they huried me they will hurie you,GOD bless you and keep that intergrity growing with the nuture of love for life you have and am sure you continue to show, a fan of yours and hope someday to find one with your charm within as well as without,keep being the example of change!!!

1900 days ago