Carrie Prejean -- The Origin of Homophobia

5/7/2009 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carrie PrejeanSo how does a beauty queen turn into the poster child against gay marriage? In the case of Miss California Carrie Prejean, the answer may lie in an ugly divorce that may have cemented her views on gay relationships.

Carrie's parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade -- it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.

In one of the docs, Carrie's dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where "Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality."

The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said "The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate."

Carrie's mom says the "gay" allegations went both ways. In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says "The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay." The father's response: "The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather's brother being gay, not the stepfather."

Launch PhotosAlso in the docs -- a handwritten letter from Carrie's older sister, in which she recounts a weekend stay with her dad: "One time my sister & I went in the hallway of my dad's apartment, & his roommate's door was open all the way & we saw [the roommate] in bed with another man. I don't think it's right for my sister & I to have to live that way."

So does Carrie believe gays broke up her parents' marriage? We called her rep ... no comment so far. We could not reach Carrie's dad for comment.

DL13

To me it is an attempt to suppress the First Amendment Rights of Miss Prejean by those that oppose her point of view. This is a tactic used by extremists that can only see their way of looking at things. When I got back from Viet Nam and was repulsed by what those on the Left were saying in the name of "Free Speech," the thing that got me through it was what I had learned when I put on the uniform, "I may not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend until death your right to say it, for without the freedom of speech this country is nothing!" True, we need dialogue to resole our differences, but trashing those we disagree with is turning America into the USS of A....

allen antrim

TMZ's obsession with this girl's anti-gay marriage opinion is turning into an example of Hetrophobia

OxyCon

The Liberals and Gay activists have perfected character assassination to a science.
Most of them don't have to worry about anyone airing their dirty laundry because they live in moral debauchery and are damned proud of it.
Please, do keep up the vicious attacks. It reveals what horrible people you Liberals and Gays are and turns the country away from your agenda.

Really?

This woman never said anything derogatory or defaming against gay people, she simply said she does not agree with gay marriage. Last time I checked, we live in America, and we have that annoying little free speech thing, so when you ask someone their opinion about something, you now sit back, shut up, and listen. You have the right to disagree but what you don't have is the right to defame, destroy, and bully that person whom you don't agree with.

TMZ, you are in the same realm as Mario, disgusting, despicable, defamatory "journalism" against a young woman because she doesn't agree with gay marriage. Since when does representing the majority of Americans open someone up for constant slander and criticism? I am so disgusted by the actions of these people against Ms. Preagen that there are not even words. It's despicable what you disgraces to journalism are doing to this young woman.

Pongo

#1,

She is not being trashed for answering a question, she is being trashed for using her public platform to promote a personal religious view (also a violation of her contract) and for being a hypocrite. She is the one who pushed this by going on every media outlet and appearing in every church service she could after the pageant to make a point of her piety. She also arrogantly stated she considered herself the true winner of the pageant and went on to claim her 15 minutes of fame at the expense of the young woman who actually won. Her behavior has trashed the pageant and turned it into a focus for religious and political controversy, which it is not supposed to be.

That said, I feel sorry for her after these divorce papers became public. What loser parents.

ynot4tony2

From the story: "For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers -- which we have elected not to publish."

Oh, yes. Because we all know that TMZ is such a classy organization and very respectful of people's privacy.

Meanwhile, every sarcasm detection unit within 100 miles overloads and burns out.

gwen

Not since the days of Salem have I seen such a witch hunt..this woman gave her honest opinion to a question that should have been asked and wow, look at the fall out and who is leading this witch hunt but a gossip columnist named Parez Hilton..Personally, I don't care either way whether gays marry or not...I believe they have a right to live a life without threat of harm or retribution but on the same hand they are treating this woman in the same way they are asking most people not to treat them. This is so clearly a smear campaign against her and I only hope she has the strength and presence of mind to realize what is going on and that her opinion is just as pertinent as the opinions of gay crusaders..So what she had implants..like that has never happened before a competition and it's a non issue. Leave her alone and I hope to see her run for a senatorial position in the future as she is clearly very smart, strong and committed...

oldleprechaun

"For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers..."

SOMEONE ALERT THE MEDIA!!! Hideous allegations (and possible UNTRUTHS) in a divorce filing! WOW! Bet nobody heard of THOSE before!

"-- which we have elected not to publish."

And for that, I'm certain most of us are very grateful. Thank you.

mimi

THIS IS REDICULOUS, YOU GUYS NEED TO LEAVE THIS POOR GIRL ALONE. SHE IS ENTITLED TO HER OPINIONS. WHY DO WE HAVE TO ACCEPT THE GAY LIFE. IT IS A WAY OF LIFE THEY HAVE CHOSEN, WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE RAMED DOWN OUR THROATS. FRANKLY, I DO NOT GIVE A DARM WHAT THEY DO OR DO NOT DO, BUT DO NOT EXPECT ME TO ACCEPT IT.

WHY ALL THE HATE, GAYS SHOULD BE THE LAST PEOPLE ON EARTH TRYING TO BELITTLE OTHER PEOPLE. BY THE WAY, I ALSO DO NOT BELIVE IN INTERACIAL MARRIAGES, DOES THAT MAKE ME A RACIST. NO!, IT IS JUST MY PREFERENCE.

AFRICAN AND PROUD

Jack

TMZ, come on. You're going to dig into the custody battle over this girl when she was a kid??? That's pretty low. I read your site more than I should and it's great for cheap distraction during the day, so I'm not going to act like I don't like cheap gossip. But this is going from the fun news reporting that you guys usually do to ripping up some girl because of her parents. Seriously?? I gotta vote "not cool" on this bit of news reporting.

Elli

You never know when the events of your life - past or present - will become known to the public at large. I bet her parents never had any idea that total strangers worldwide would be reading the details of their divorce. Amazing!

Anita

Vista is the hotbed of rightwing nutcases in California. So that would explain her idiotic behavior.
The Vista schoolboard used to be in the news frequently for having ultra-conseatives who tried to shape the thinking of everyone else.

Beats me hoe she feels it's ok to pose in lace panties and sans bra, though.

Lost

I am a believer that marriage is between man & woman....and that doesn't come from a messy divorce or a messed up childhood. This is America and we are supposed to be free to believe what we want to believe...free to have the "freedom of choice"...but what I am seeing is that freedom of choice and opinion is ONLY ok if you go with the grain. I am a christian, I have my christian beliefs, but my "freedom of speech" because I am a christian is not allowed. Now, if I were an atheist or agnostic or anything other than christian, (and I mean no disrespect whatsoever to anyone that doesnt' believe in what I believe) then I would be able to say anything I wanted and it wouldn't be made a big deal out of. We (christians) have had our rights taken from us...anything that has "God" in it, on it, near it, is no longer allowed or is being fought to be removed. Where are my rights? The pledge of allegiance has been removed from our schools because it goes against peoples "freedom of whatever or constitutional rights...well, what if it goes against mine and my childrens? We have the right to say the pledge of allegiance in class....that is our constitutional right!!!!! I am just lost at how it is all fair. People are fighting to have the "national day of prayer" cancelled or no longer made a noted day. What is everyone so afraid of? How is a national day of prayer hurting anyone? How is the Pledge of Allegiance hurting anyone? Because it may go against your beliefs. There are so many things in this world that go against EVERYONES beliefs, but if you stand strong in what you believe to be true, then why does what anyone else believes, matter. How is believing that marriage should be between a man & a woman make me or anyone with those believes a bad person. This is AMERICA people. We should have the rights to practice any religion we want, believe anything we want and have the freedom to do so without being ridiculed or lashed out at. This is the state of CA, and like someone said, we did vote to ban same-sex marriage and I truly believe that as a representative of CA, Miss CA answered the question the way she should have...HONESTLY. I believe that Mr. Hilton knew already what she believed and knew he didn't want her to win because of that reason so choosing that question for the entire world to hear was unfair and she is being chastized for her beliefs....should we chastize Mr Hilton for his since he believes in same-sex marriage? That is not what this country was founded on. It was founded on the fact that we all get along....regardless of our believes.

Gay everyday

Hederphobic? FUBO misses the point.Why can't people see the difference. No one is disrespecting hetero relationships.YOUR right to marry or not,have sex,fall in love ,whatever.You haven't got a clue what it would be like to have your rights taken away.How can you claim to be "friends" with someone and not want them to have the same rights you have.

offtheproperty

on a related subject: Just because someone thinks marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman doesn't mean they hate gay people, OK?