Lynyrd Skynyrd Bassist Dies

5/7/2009 9:54 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ean Evans, the bassist for Lynyrd Skynyrd, has died after a long battle with cancer.

It's the second death in the storied band this year. In January, Billy Powell, the former keyboardist, also died.

In 1977 three band members died in a plane crash.

Victoria

I thought the photo was of Courtney Love

RIP Dude

1911 days ago

Wanda W.

Of all the original members of the band only Gary Rossington is left. Sad its true, but death is part of life people. That band has left some excellent music behind, so the essence of their beings lives on. Jacksonville, Fla. is their hometown, and we do love them here. They are still like gods here, and always will be.

1911 days ago

guitar man savannah

Ean may God give you rest, you have given us much Joy as a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Now as Ronnie said You're "as free as a bird now" So fly on my prayers are with your family and band mates during this time your fans will never forget you. and as they say in Mad Hatter from Vicious Cycle Now that you're there say hello to our brothers

1911 days ago

why?

Bitch slap..bite me know it all clown. I saw Skynyrd in concert 2008 and they were awsome.

1911 days ago

veryprettybrowneyedgirl

SKYNYRD FAN SINCE '74.

**flicks bic in respect of the band, pours a shot out for those finally free***

1911 days ago

oreo

R.I.P # 17 Wanda..I am from and grew up in jacksonville, fl...I use to go to freebirds all the time down by the beach.

1911 days ago

James

In 1964, SKYNYRD was Ronnie (vocals) Gary (guitar) Allen (guitar) Bob (drums) and Larry (Bass) Anyone who joined the band after those members are not original...know yer facts! However, they were and always will be the greatest of all times. Plain and simple, the Allman Brothers may have started this southern music thing, But...Skynyrd took it out of the south and gave it to the world. So long live skynyrd, then... now and in 50 years when you hear some small kid trying to play "Freebird" for the first time. Just rest in peace to every fan, family member and the ones that has gone on.

1910 days ago

James

Steve...Tell me how Ricky Medlocke was an original band member when he played drums for skynyrd, when they had Bob Burns on drums long before "Medlocke"?

1910 days ago

ingscram

Too bad they can't change their name out of respect for the 99% of their dead bandmates, but obviously too many drunken fans would not know how to find them

1910 days ago

ingscram

Great band, I love them and saw them in 77. However, after the crash the band signed an agreement with Ronnie's widow that they would never continue with less than 3 original members. I guess that money trumps everything, including anyone's beloved memory. Change the name and quit ripping off the ignorant.

1910 days ago

phil hinckley

Sad, Another one of Southern Rock legends lost. Growing up listening to this band (and still do) Greatest talent ever recorded... RIP

1909 days ago

James

Steve
All that you said about SKYNYRD was true, But... the original band was ronnie,allen,gary,bob and larry. They had songs as in "Michelle" and "Need all my friends" that my friend, came out in 1967 on a 45. I know this to be a fact, I still have one, along with a 1977 (still in the plastic cover and autograph by them all) Street Survival, with the plane on fire. And NO... it's not for sale, even though I was offered 500.00 for it, those two babies are going to the grave with me! Also... up untill 3 years ago, Pyle was a neighbor that lived down the road a little piece, then he got busted for a crime that happened back in 1991, that was when he left skynyrd (cause they didn't want to be apart of that) And if you'll notice in the song "Give me back my bullets" Ronnie says... 7 years of hard luck coming down on me. That was in 1974, take away the 7 years of hard luck, that puts them back to 1967 and at that time... they were no Ricky Medlocke. At any rate... in my book, once a Skynyrd fan, always a fan and I am glad to talk skynyrd with you. They are the best then...now and as long as I live.

1907 days ago

donna

i just cant get over this 2 death in the same year. i feel sorry for the band. after the plane crash in 1977 and now this lost and just cant image how the band feel right now.i am a big fan of the band just think they still playing its not slowing them down.keep it up no matter what hit you just think you all got one person to look at is god.goodbye peace. your biggest fan donna love ya guys.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2