Shields: My Mom Was Victimized By Reporters

5/16/2009 10:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Brooke ShieldsBrooke Shields is claiming a reporter and a photog working for the National Enquirer checked out her 75-year-old mother from her nursing home in hopes of a good "tabloid story."

Teri Shields was signed out of her nursing home Thursday, and Brooke tells People that a reporter drove her mother around New Jersey in hopes of finding a good story. Brooke says her mother suffers from dementia, and claims her mom was allegedly tricked into leaving the facility after the journalist claimed they were friends.

Teri Shields was later found by police in a nearby restaurant, unharmed, having lunch with the reporter. The Enquirer claims the freelance reporter has known Teri for 10 years and was given permission by the facility to check her out.

No one was arrested and charges have not been filed.

Heather

Very 24

OMG! I know how Brooke feels.

My grandmother is 90 has Alzheimers and is in an assisted living. My grandmother is very convincing with her stories. and very adamant if you try to tell her that she is mistaken.

I lived with my grandmother for seven years before she went to assisted living last year. It is really hard and tiring to live with someone that needs 24 hour watch. She also began to pack things so she could go to heaven when her sister came. And would wake me up several times in the middle of the night thinking that it was morning. She would pack all her clothes, food, books, it was very tiring trying to put things away several times a day. I went to a seminar and they said that 15 to 30 minutes could be a whole day to someone with dementia or Alzheimers.
My mother is 70, it was the hardest decision for her and her brother to make to send my grandmother to an assisted living. It was really hard for my mom to accept that her mother needed more help than we could provide. Anyone with any experience with someone with dementia and Alzhemier disease can really understand what it was like for Brooke Sheilds. Her mother also has early onset dementia, which must be harder to deal with.
I totally feel for Brooke Sheilds. I hope she is able to sue and punish all the people involved. Her mother could tell them something completely false that never happened to any one let alone the Sheilds family and be completely sincere and emphatic that it is true.
I can't believe someone would do this to the Sheilds family. This is horrid.

meag

what is "was were"? come on TMZ, I'd think you'd proofread knowing that hundreds of thousands are reading this god awful website

C_IL

Wow, I would be busting...if not rolling...heads!

molly

Those reporters should be charged with kidnapping. My father had dementia before he passed away, and he was like a child, he would have gone with anyone. It's disgusting to think that anyone would take advantage of Brooke's mom like this.

You've got it wrong

If you saw the footage- she was in Sunrise Assisted Living facitlity in Old Tappan, NJ. Assisted living is not the same as a nursing home- you can leave with anyone you want- you just have to let the facility know when you will be back. Nobody was paid off- because they don't need to be. Anyone can go there and have lunch with her mom.

Cheryl

BROOK SHOULD BE SUED, WHAT KIND OF A DAUGHTER IS HE? A ROTTEN DAUGHTER FOR PUTTING HER MOTHER IN A NURSING HOME. AND DONT GIVE ME NO B.S. ABOUT HER MOTHERS CONDITION, MY FATHER (RIP) HAD THE SAME DISEASE & HE SURE WASN'T IN A NURSING HOME, THAT BROOK SHOULD NOT BLAME OTHERS, SHE SHOULD BLAME HERSELF FOR NOT LOVING HER MOTHER ENOUGH TO CARE FOR HER AT HOME. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO BROOK THINKS SHE IS? SHE'S A TERRIBLE PERSON AND A ROTTEN TO THE CORE DAUGHTER FOR PUTTING HER MOTHER IN A NURSING HOME.

Cheryl

BROOK IS JUST LOOKING FOR MONEY, AND VICTIMIZED? WHAT A JOKE, HER MOM WAS VICTIMIZED THE DAY HER DAUGHTER (BRROK SHIELDS) PUT HER IN A NURSING HOME. BROOK IS A TERRIBLE PERSON, IF SHE TRUELY CARED ABOUT HER MOTHER, SHE WOULD HAVE HER MOTHER LIVE WITH HER, I GUESS BROOK DOESN'T WANT TO CLEAN UP AFTER HER MOTHER (MY FATHER HAD THE SAME DISEASE AND HE WAS WELL TAKEN CARE OF UNTIL THE DAY HE PASSED AWAY.) I HAVE NO LOVE FOR BROOK SHIELDS, SHE IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE FOR PUTTING HER MOTHER IN A NURSING HOME, I HOPE I NEVER SEE HER ON TV AGAIN. (I WOULD CHANGE THE CHANNEL QUICK)

Clearsky54

Dear Mr. Axelrod (Comment #13)

Whatever Teri Shields was or whatever she did, it has no connection to the incredibly vile, lowlife magic trick pulled by National Enquirer's retarded minion. You don't take a feeble, sick woman out of a nursing home to "interview" her. And... whatever it is what Teri was or did... obviously Brooke turned out a lot better than most of the freaks in celeb city. So, what exactly is/was your point?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2