Bruno

Based on a

Real Gay Austrian?!

6/18/2009 10:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Austrian media is going crazy over the new movie "Bruno" -- claiming Sacha Baron Cohen based his fake flamboyant Austrian TV host ... on a real life flamboyant Austrian TV host.

Bruno
The dude caught in the middle is Alfons Haider -- he's proud to be gay, he's into fashion, and (just like Bruno) he's also been known to compare himself to Zac Efron

Want more evidence? -- Alfons is the highest-paid presenter on Austrian state broadcaster ORF. In the film, Bruno works for a channel called OJRF. Coincidence?

The controversy has been raging in Austria for a while, but Haider just told The Telegraph newspaper, "I never understood the comparison to myself at all. The only comparisons I can think of is that I'm Austrian, I'm gay, and I work for television, but the rest is completely fiction."

Anyone really buyin' that?

ahhrealmockery

wow people wayyyy to serious over this crap. its just a movie. who cares, let him dance around all crazy and act like a fool. he's getting paid more than you.

1953 days ago

Razor

If he really enlisted in the Army for bruno then they should make him finish his term.

1943 days ago

Tessykinz

hes not making fun of gays and hes not making fun of austrians, hes just turning everyone stereotypes on themselves. hes trying to show people how stupid there being for believing that gays are all flamboiant and outrageous and austrainss are all sickos. he knows there not and hes trying to make a point, that when you really sit back and look at what your saying its pretty rediculous just like his character, stupid peoples stereostypical views, and its makes anyone in the film who believes the way he acts, look stupider for it.

1941 days ago

Ziggy

Cohen is rehashing the same old tired plot over and over again.

If this movie bombs at the box office, maybe he will have to find a new avenue and actually write an original script.

1940 days ago

Galt Viergutz

I don't think cohen wants to humiliate and embarrass others, especially if they don't deserve it; He usually targets that which is ridiculous in the first place. However, if he did have that intention then it indeed would be reprehensible and it would not be right for people to laugh at that, its all find and dandy but at the end of the day no one likes to be the one humiliated. On the matter of Austria, I am really disinterested on what SBC, an entertainer, has to say about Austria in a movie as a gay fashion reporter. I mean common, you have to be a mental midget to stoop to that level. However, I do care if he makes me laugh, I mean that's the purpose of me going to the movie theater to watch this movie, I am not going to let it offend. I saw the movie and it was ok, not great. Nothing like Borat, that's for sure. The american audience I saw it with was enormously shocked at some of the scenes, I just thought they were lame and begging for laughs...Other times, it was quite hilariou

1938 days ago

antoinette

first...... love you guys out there

1962 days ago

GAG

I think everyone is tired of Sacha Baron Cohen. No one finds him funny, everyone thinks he's an idiot. The movie is going to bomb, without a doubt. Please stop your coverage of this idiot, nothing he does or says is even remotely amusing.

1962 days ago

Jasper Snodgrass

You forgot to add a button for "Who cares!"

1962 days ago

Bob

I'm already tired of him... it's old and getting older.

1962 days ago

SaturnGirl

Hate Sasha Baron Cohen, but dammit why are all the HOT ones gay??? the real austrian bruno is freakin' HOT!!!!!

1962 days ago

Bex

Enough with the gay stories! What is this, Perez Hilton??!! Does anybody know of a site that does not focus on gay agenda's all the time?? This movie will bomb, people are sick of this ignorant humor! Hollywood makes crap and it's not funny!

1962 days ago

gh_

Sacha Baron Cohen is freakin hilarious. Why can't we have more intelligent comedians? College isn't a disease, Hollywood.

1962 days ago

Katt

SBC's characters were on British TV for a long time, I'm sure he got ideas from a lot of different people and rolled it all into one character. Ali-G was by far his best!!!

1962 days ago

sourpus

I HATE THAT COHEN. HE IS NOT FUNNY AND HE MAKE ME WANT HURL. PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THE STUFF ON HIM.

1962 days ago

Tee-LeeMarie

Remember what happened with Bruno? I would totally buy this story if it turned out to be real!

1962 days ago