Ed McMahon Dies

6/23/2009 9:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ed McMahon Ed McMahon has passed away at 86.

He died at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in California this morning. McMahon was fighting a multitude of health problems, including cancer.

Someone connected with the family told us, "Ed was at peace because he got his business taken care of. He settled his lawsuit with Cedars and with the settlement he was able to take care of his family."

He is best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on "The Tonight Show" and for his infamous catchphrase, "Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

McMahon also hosted "Star Search" and "TV Bloopers And Practical Jokes" with Dick Clark.

He was a colonel in the United States Marines and a fighter pilot and served during the late 1940s and 1950s.

Ed McMahon: Click to launch

Ed was one of the good guys and a true American hero!

Story developing ...

Love me some TMZ

Well thats sad but did you here Jon and Kate split????

janet

Rest in Peace Ed, they die in three's heressssss one!

Me

I never did win that Publisher's Clearinghouse. So sad though. You feel like you know these people personally.

springs

You know, it's too bad TMZ can't flag some of these disgusting comments!
Shame on those of you who have no respect for the dead.

upchuck21

One of the good ones....we don't see people like him anymore. Instead, we get Mario the blogger...

Google-me-bitch!

aww! R.I.P

Google-me-bitch!

and I agree with others..tmz wrote so much crap about him..like the saying goes..give someone their bouquet of flowers while they're alive! I remember watching him on star search as a child..R.I.P

jerzegrl

You will be missed Ed. God bless you and your family! There is no one like you and no one else can even come close to measuring up to you!!!

RIP!!!

Jody

In the last couple of years before he died, all he did was sue anyone he could in order to get money. I think that is absolutely pathetic. I hope the credit card companies come in and take every penny away from his "grieving widow" that we are supposed to feel sorry for because she now has to shop at Target.

rick

Who???
Is he related to Vince

SickofTMZ

R.I.P. Ed.

Tao

) : R.I.P

Linda Mott

He was a really nice guy!

anthony

HE LIVED A GOOD LIFE AND ENTERTAINED ALL OF US WHO WATCHED THE SHOW. he will be missed.

the owner of the mansion where he fell and settled the lawsuit a little while back really made a good gesture to settle that claim. he gave Ed peace of mind for his family while being at the hospital. not too many people in hollywood willing to look the other way and settle out of court.

xcalibur

THERE GOES THE HOUSE!!! NOW THAT NO ONE IS STOPPING THE BANKS FROM FORECLOSING, HIS GOLD DIGGING WIFE GETS THE DESERVED BOOT!! CYA!!