Hasselbeck

Accused of No Original Thoughts

6/23/2009 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Elisabeth Hasselbeck ripped off a woman by plagiarizing her disease material -- so claims Susan Hassett, who fired off a letter to "The View" host just before suing her.

Elisabteh Hasselbeck Click to view docs

We obtained the letter -- in which Susan claims she sent Elisabeth a book called "Living with Celiac Disease" back in April of '08. Thirteen months later, Susan says Hasselbeck published the same book with a new title: "The G Free Diet-A Gluten Free Survival Guide." Yes, the title sucks.

Susan compares chapters and lines. Here are some highlights.

Susan's Book Chapter 1: What is Celiac Disease?
Hasselbeck Chapter 2: What is Celiac Disease?

Susan's tips: "Shop in the outer isles of the supermarket."
Hasselbeck's tips: "Food in the outer isles of the supermarket."

And the comparisons go on and on.

Susan just sued Elisabeth for copyright infringement and plagiarism.

UPDATE: We've just obtained a statement from Elisabeth's people: "Neither Center Street nor Elisabeth Hasselbeck has been served with the Complain in this action. However, there is no basis for the allegations in the Complaint as published in the press. Ms. Hasselbeck worked diligently and tirelessly on her book and is disappointed in this attempt to discredit her work and her ability to bring this important message to the public."

Lara

She has a very strong case especially since she used a lot of what Susan put in her book. She is a little worm who should not even be on TV. Nobody cares about her views and she is a crook to boot!

Anita

GO AWWAY ELIZABITCH !!!!

JT

Oops sorry for all the typos. That's what happens when I get distracted at work but that book was a huge disappointment to me so I had to say something.

Anita

She grates on my nerves wih her whny litle girls voice while pretending to bea functioning auly. But all she does is parrott other people's phrases.
Can the dumb bitch already!

Anita

NO light is on and no one is home in her brain.

WiddoMouse

Shopping the outer aisles of the grocery store is good advice for almost any health issue. It just means to eat fresh inprocessed food rather than canned, boxed or otherwise processed choices. What is Celiac Disease? and Shop the Outer Aislles of the Supermarket do not constitute plagerism. They are topics that should appear in any book written about living a gluten free life. Not everything we write is a totally new thought of the author. There is certainly room for several books on the same subject..

Sarah

Anyone that has Celiac Disease knows that those two points are very general. She can't plagiarize general info!!!

tigerlilly

The woman suing Elisatwit sent her a rough draft of her book over a year ago by certified mail as a gesture of kindness when she found out Bitsy supposedly suffers from celiac disease and didn't receive so much as a thank you. Then lo and behold the dumb broad publishes a book about the same disease using material that's just a little too similar to Sue's. I think she has a good case against Hasselbeck and somewhere Barry Manilow has a huge smile on his face if he's heard the news. Karma's been busy this week; first Pigez Hilton and now Twitsy. LOL!

saraezzyk

honestly i never liked her, but the lady trying to sue her is just after some money... i really hope that she leaves the view for good after she has this kid...

Go Away

Lazy Plagiarist.

JT

Woddomouse,

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease in which red blood cells attack wheat/gluten and destroy the lining of the stomach causing everything to go right through the body...in other words constant uncontrolable diarrhea. Even when it's under control the body has a hard time obsorbing nutrients and the immune system is weak. I take supplements before every meal for absorbtion and digestion and in between meals to strengthen my stomach muscles. Many things that don't contain wheat but were made in a plant that processes wheat can make me very sick for a week straight. There are blog sights strictly about people who got divorced due to Celiac disease. In general it's a very unpleasant disease but it can be managed. Once I was properly diagnosed I learned all I could about it, I eat proper foods (mostly cooked by me), I drink a lot of water and work out well. I'm pretty hot looking if I do say so myself and as long as I maintain my basic habits noone would know I struggle with Celiac disease.

patilee

I actually have several other books with those same statements. A couple of the books are probably older than either one of those ladies. I'll notify the authors, maybe they can sue.

SUN

#4 I agree with you- good point. However, this woman seems too stupid to write any book.

norjay

She's a right wingnut--what would you expect? She grates on my very last nerve. Go to work for Rupert Murdock ala Faux news, You and old O"Reilly, Beck and Hannity would be hilarious.

Julie Barman

I am really enjoying reading her new book and find it very helpful to hear about the struggles of another young women dealing with the disease! The information included in this book is very similar to the other GF books out there, but that is because you can only explain things so many ways. This lady should not try to gain from the work and effort Elizabeth put in to this and should just get over it or ask for a free signed copy of the G Free Diet book!!!