Betty White Dead?

'Today' Makes Grave Mistake

7/8/2009 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've lost a lot of icons recently -- but no matter what NBC says, Betty White isn't one of 'em!

Today Show: Click to watch
During a report yesterday morning at Forest Lawn Cemetery, "Today's" Michael Okwu listed the "Golden Girl" as one of the celebrities already buried there.

Meredith Vieira corrected him -- he probably meant Bette Davis.

Pat-Mann

This is one of the reasons I've given up watching both local and national "news shows". Besides not confirming their facts, too many of these anchors and "journalists" seem to be more interested in chit-chatting, joking, doing some sort of bit or stchick, conversing among themselves, than confirming facts and getting the correct story out. This happens all too often on these "news broadcasts". Professionalism in Journalism has gone down the drain, and obviously there's no desire among the news organizations and broadcast stations to want to correct this increasing problem.

Mistakes like this never happened 40 year ago, and if they did, the station apologised immediately, and the erring reporter was in a heap of trouble for his carelessness. Back then, a reporter made sure he confirmed and reconfirmed every fact before the story aired, and if he wasn't 100% sure of a fact, it was left out. It was better to err on the side of accuracy.

By the way, I'm saying "he" because almost all TV reporters were men at the time. That part of broadcasting has changed for the better.

At least TMZ has the decency to not try to be anything other than a silly little celebrity gossip show.

Bob

Young buck newsman has no idea who Betty White, Bette Davis, or even Betty Crocker are. So sad.

LYING LIE-beral MEDIA BIAS OBAMA RUMPKISSERS

WHATS UNUSUAL ABOUT A LIAR AT NBC. THEY LIE ABOUT POLITICS ALL OF THE TIME

posh

That man is one of many I can not stand on the today show which I barely watch because of all the sub-human anchors. Al Roker he has really got to go.

Peter

Okwu-- idiot - learn how to read your notes!! will you ? . your blunder proves my long standing point..

FRANK

JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THE QUALITY OF THE MEDIS TODAY

Jeff

I stopped watching NBC news as well as MSNBC, or MSLSD, as Hannity calls it sometimes, during the primaries last year when Hillary was being slammed every night, and Barack Obama had the red arpet laid out for him. I swtiched to Fox, something I thought I'd never do, and couldn't be happier. It reminds me of ollege a bit, informative, I'm always learning something new, interesting, and it's unbiased. If you like 100% Obama, all the time, 24/7, then Fox isn't for you. And I wish these other channels would stop trying to re-create the civil rights movement, it's almost like a do-over, like the first stimulus package. If, after forty years, you still have to check off a box and threaten people with lawsuits to get what you want, i.e. the firefighters in CT, then it failed.

Jeff

Typos on my comment: arpet/carpet, ollege/college. Bad c on keyboard.

Obama's Neighbor

Michael Okwu attended the Phillips Exeter Academy and received his Bachelor's degree in government from Harvard University, so I assure you he is not stupid. Because he made a mistake on live tv proves nothing. He might unfamiliar with white culture from a different era. I'm sure Albert Einstein wouldn't have known whether Betty White was dead or not either. Ronald Reagan didn't even know who his only black cabinet member was. He thought he was the mayor of D.C.
During MJ's memorial I heard Charles Gibson and other white anchors comment in a way that made me know they knew little about the Jacksons or other performers at the memorial.

In regards to the statement that Browns have surpassed Black. That is a misnomer. Hispanic is not a race. It is an ethnic group. You can be black and Hispanic. Also Hispanics weren't here in great numbers during Jim Crow and were not slaves. They also chose to come here.

Fran

They probably meant Bea Arthur from the Golden Girls.

ml

It is so creepy. It is a mistake! It must be another Betty. Not Betty White.

JOE

BETTY WHITE DEAD? JUST ASK BOB BARKER, LOL.

White Jealousy

Jamie Foxx is ill you sound like a stupid white trash biotch. Black is beautiful trash and you hate it because you are ugly. You are just upset because your poor white trash ass will always be a nobody. If white was all that blacks and browns and yellows and even green men could never have taken over. You are the one that needs to go to school. Quit making babies with your sister and your mama and get your ass a job. You and your kind are the reason California is broke as hell now. Welfare trash bum!!!!!!!!!!!

parents?

I stopped watching the Today show and all of NBC a long time ago for this very reason. This guy is an idiot!! They made fun of him on The Soup last week!! Ann Curry is just as bad...and Willard Scott need to retire!!!
NBC SUX!!

White Jealousy

JD I would not brag about being a Fox news watcher. Obviously your point means nothing, your getting your news from online like the rest of us. FOX news is full of bs and your point is to!