The Video Simon Cowell Just Couldn't Bury

7/31/2009 5:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

That guy in the blue doggy suit is a young Simon Cowell -- and this is the video his buddy Nigel Lythgoe didn't think we'd ever find. Check and mate.

Simon Cowell: Click to watch
Nigel challenged TMZ to uncover the "horrible" video of the "Idol" judge singing -- and did we ever. Here's Cowell waaaay back in '82 on the popular U.K. television show "Top of the Pops" performing as his barking alter-ego "Wonderdog."

Nigel Lythgoe: Click to watchBritain's got talent, indeed.

03smithr

urm...this clip has been shown on British TV years ago...so it probably wasn't that hard to find it TMZ

me

This is not a big secret. I've seen this clip on several celebrity flashback type shows here in the UK.

me

There has to be a way to erase this video from my mind. Now I'm going to hear that barking dog song all day.

Carissa

yess, TMZ is the best. always up to the challenge and never fails. Go TMZ!!!

zzz123

Laugh all you want, but look at Simon now! He's making obscene amounts of money and is world famous. Simon is laughing all the way to the bank!!

5150hp

i though heas supposed to be singing??

El Johnson

Sorry but I din't notice the diference, at that time Simon have more hair, but he still look the same!

Larien

So obviously as others have said, this does not constitute singing. Keep looking.

I'm not sure I'm getting why people are so pissed off about him supposedly being "talent-less" yet being so harsh on AI: It doesn't take a talented singer to judge a singing competition, it takes EARS. Any moron who isn't deaf can tell when someone's voice sucks. Simon hasn't made a career as a singer, so he can criticize all he wants. So he sings bad? That's why he's a judge and not a contestant.

Besides, he's doing something really well, the SOB is richer than all of us put together.

Steven H.

Congrats TMZ for finding that video so quick!! The only thing is that he is ONLY barking during the song...and the barking isnt even him. Can't you find a video that he actually SINGS in?? I bet i could, if/when I do I would be happy to send it to you

Harvey

He was NOT singing - it was just an interview. The barking was by a dog that was edited. Please!

justice4MJ

hahahhahahaha!!! i laughed soo hard last night when you all were talking about ur gona find this AND YOU DID!!
LMAO
tmz is goood! u all are good! wow

Raejean

I think Simon's talent rolled over and played dead.

Joanne & Ken Pietuszka

I expected more.

Jamie

Way to go TMZ! I am glad you found the video. Nigel didn't tell just HOW BAD it really is.

Natsuo

Sorry Harvey, I believe you guys at TMZ called Check Mate a little too quickly. Rewatch the challenge that Nigel gave you. The challenge was to find a video of Simon singing. At no point in that video does Simon sing. He speaks while in a furry costume and then a recording barks to music at the end.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments