Autopsy: Cocaine a Factor in Billy Mays' Death

8/7/2009 5:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Autopsy: Cocaine a Factor in Billy Mays' DeathA mighty shocking autopsy report concludes cocaine contributed to the sudden death of pitchman Billy Mays back in June.

The report, which was released today, lists "cocaine use" as a contributing cause of death -- along with hypertensive and arteriosclerotic heart disease.

A Hillsborough County press release says "from the presence of metabolites of cocaine and the absence of cocaine itself, it was concluded that Mr. Mays used cocaine in the few days prior to his death but not immediately prior to death."

Mays died in his sleep on June 28 at his home in Florida.

UPDATE: Official documents show the following drugs were in Mays' system -- hydrocodone (Vicodin), oxycodone (painkiller), alprazolam (Xanax), nordiazepam (Valium), benzoylecgonine (byproduct of cocaine) and temazepam (anti-anxiety). Ethanol -- alcohol -- was also in Mays' system.

**Check out today's TMZ Live, when Harvey and Jason answered your questions about Billy Mays and Michael Jackson's toxicology reports.

Remembering Billy Mays

doc murry

BILLY MAYS DID THE MOONWALK

BabsDriedUpCooter

Awesome--I was coked up when watching him...

old news

I don't think the coke had anything to do with hsi dying. Look at all the depressants he was on! I can't believe a "real" doctor was giving him all this. Add the alcohol on top of all the downers and its lights out permanently.

old news

#182 Billy would not be the 1st person who used cooke to try and get some relief. Cocaine kills pain. It's a known fact. I do not beleive he was a stoner or street druggie, but with all that was in his system he was a drug user and possibly an addict. Because a doctor prescribes them doesn't make then any less addictive. In fact prescription drug addicts are harder to detect and help becasue they do it in secret. I really feel as I already wrtoe. The combination of sedative (hypnotics) and alcohol with the untreated hypertension. kiled him. ALso I wonder why none of these doctors were treating the high bloodpressure.

happy22

I could never understand how any man could be that HYPER naturally. His voice drove me nuts and i always had to turn the channel. I always said to my husband WOW what is that guy on!! He sounded like a run away train, and to get so excited over selling such CRAP that kills our environment, pollutes our homes and costs alot when you know it comes from another country where people work all week for a tiny smitten of pay to only be shipped over here to the greedy gods of the world. He was so so annoying to listen to and you could see he could not keep one apendage on his body still. Arms flailing all over, bouncing from side to side, his eyes bugged out of his head, his eyebrows forced up to the top of his head from RAGING EXCITEMENT all to SELL A PRODUCT.

I could not stand even the sound of his voice, and I also never purchased anything he pitched. If you have to pitch something that hard to have someone purchase it, there is a problem.

Now he is in peace from SELLING, he could not even SELL health to himself.

It is very very scary to me that people are walking driving and existing in our world today in a daze from life. WOW is all i can say. To his wife, well sadly she may have had no clue what he was doing or anyone else in the family. He obviously lived with a MASK on and they bought it. Since when do wives know exactly what their husbands do in a day, like hello does she actually think he came home everyday from that highly stressful sell job and said oh by the way i was so unhappy today so i took 7 drugs to cope. I think there is more in his CLOSET. DENIAL is a terrible thing, it kills too and also contributes to people taking drugs for that too.!!! WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!!!!

Carrington (North Florida)

I gotta admit, I feel smug to hear that his system contained elements/ cocaine. Whenever his LOUD & INTRUSIVE voice or image comes on the tube, immediately *EVERY* raw nerve in my body goes into Flight/ Fight / Panic mode. Never could stand him.
I am sorry that his family has had a loss but YECCCCHHHHHH. (G_d forgive me please).

guy rich

harvey your a tool. DONT YOU THINK BILLYS FAMILY HAS ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH?

prayforthefamily

I hope the family sues and wins this one. It is not right to publicly announce something to defame a person, until it is officially recognized by independent autopsy as far as I am concerned. RIP

happy22

Oh my gosh,Tony Little is another one. HE IS THE MOST ANNOYING PERSON I HAVE EVER HEARD ASIDE FROM BILLY MAYS. Tht guy is enough to make anyone feel hyper. I cannot stand that guy, he is so fit like would steroids look like part of his puffed up little manican body, like PLASTIC MAN. If i see him on tv the hairs on my arms stand on end, my heart races and its not because he is good looking, and i feel instant need to turn off the tv. These people are all phoney, they sell and push so much crap for a buck.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smarter Than You

His life and death is no more significant than any of ours. Just another dumbass that did too much.

Marge Temple

When will people understand that celebrities are still PEOPLE and stop putting them on pedestals? The same things happen to people with money as those those that don't have money. Someone needs a reality check. You just don't hear about the people without money that have the same drug problems!

Keaton Smiley

How is it not a HIPPA violation to tell the public what prescriptions ( and other drugs ) someone had in their system? I do not understand how it is anyones business. Billy Mays seemed cool and never harmed anyone I know of. I apologize to his family for having his dirty laundry aired in the manner the media finds it ok to do.

Ask yourself this question.... if you died today would you like the world to know ALL your secrets? Unless your name starts with POPE something... my guess is NO.

C.A.

Where is my e-mail to verify my comment. What is it? Does the truth offend you? If the truth offends you, then you must be one of the tares. If you block the truth of GOD, then you call GOD a lie.

nutella

why are white people defending this guy? he was/is a coke head. He makes MJ drug use look like a joke. MJ only had propofol and xanax. This had at least seven or drugs, alcohol and coke in his belly. Hope the press keep roasting his pale ass.

ComMan

Oops, there goes a bit of family fortunes in royalties from re-usable commercials or from any branding/image use. No one will want to air/publish them now. Additional tragedy for the family.