Autopsy: Cocaine a Factor in Billy Mays' Death

8/7/2009 5:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Autopsy: Cocaine a Factor in Billy Mays' DeathA mighty shocking autopsy report concludes cocaine contributed to the sudden death of pitchman Billy Mays back in June.

The report, which was released today, lists "cocaine use" as a contributing cause of death -- along with hypertensive and arteriosclerotic heart disease.

A Hillsborough County press release says "from the presence of metabolites of cocaine and the absence of cocaine itself, it was concluded that Mr. Mays used cocaine in the few days prior to his death but not immediately prior to death."

Mays died in his sleep on June 28 at his home in Florida.

UPDATE: Official documents show the following drugs were in Mays' system -- hydrocodone (Vicodin), oxycodone (painkiller), alprazolam (Xanax), nordiazepam (Valium), benzoylecgonine (byproduct of cocaine) and temazepam (anti-anxiety). Ethanol -- alcohol -- was also in Mays' system.

**Check out today's TMZ Live, when Harvey and Jason answered your questions about Billy Mays and Michael Jackson's toxicology reports.

Remembering Billy Mays

Lynne

So, Billy Mays had 6 or 7 drugs in his body when he died, and Michael Jackson only had 2. Ironic much? I guess Billy wasn't the saint everyone made him out to be. Is anyone famous NOT on drugs? Why is it so impossible for people with money to live a clean life? What a bunch of losers...the whole lot. Give me some of that money so I can afford go to medical school please.

DON'T GET SCAMMED

sounds like John's supplier is out of goodies.

Russ

Man, I am completely SHOCKED over this report. I would have NEVER imagined this guy to have a need for so many prescription drugs and then to throw coke in the mix. I hope his family is not shocked by this. They may have known. In any event, when are people going to realize cocaine today is deadly cause you don't know what they are filling it with! Are you people crazy? Here he had everything. Huge home, DROVE A BENTLEY, great family, super friends and now all for what? Isn't anyone ever satisfied any more without dope?

jimmy too

The coke did it. all the other drugs found in Billy's system ( hydrocodone (Vicodin), oxycodone (painkiller), alprazolam (Xanax), nordiazepam (Valium), temazepam (anti-anxiety). Ethanol -- alcohol ) those are all good for ya Legitimate drugs.

RenoSteve

It's a given he got the dope while he was in Hollywood for his appearance on Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien a couple of days before his death. People in Hollywood are all on dope and narcotics. Billy got the hook-up with the dope man there and got himself high before going back home to his straight-laced wife and family. If one were to check, I bet Billy got a hoe hook-up while in HOLLYWEIRD as well. What a disgrace. I hate Hollyweird and wish an earthquake would come and cause the sea to swallow up the whole godforsaken place.

filocast2

Excuse me, John # 57, "WTF, so he did a line of Coke, who hasn't".... I haven't, nor have I ever taken any prescription pain killers, even though I have been in situations where they may have been deemed necessary. I can't tell you how many times I have been given samples of and prescriptions for pain killers from Dr.'s numerous times for various reasons. I never took them. Not b/c I feared addiction, but b/c I don't want to put "stuff" in my body I don't really need. Now, I know the pain killers have their place, but a lot of time it is a choice and people choose to alter their senses, which come with consequences and ramifications.

I feel bad that Biily May passed, but you can't justify his actions. Using Coke a few days before his death or a month before is wrong either way and illegal.

music4life

it shouldnt change anyones opinion about him. Look drugs are addicting everyone in this whole world has some type of problem with something. People do drugs to get their mind off other stuff, they do it to escape people do things for a lot of different reasons but it was his life and everone always has to make their own decisions and everyone makes mistakes too, its just too bad he didnt get help before it was too late.

San Diegan

#59 (John) - I sure as hell hope you're not a pharmacist or even a pharmacy
tech, because you're greatly misinformed. Xanax and Valium are both
Benzos. Under no situation would you take a benzo to counteract a
benzo along with opioids, you dummy. Also, I'm sure he just didn't do
"one line of coke". There's no such thing as "one line of coke". Once
you pop, you can't stop, honey (well, until you run out and your nose
is a bloody mess that is).

lu

this is so shocking. he does not look like the type to do this.i dont beleave it.

J Roberts

Hi Billy Mays here for good ole cocaine! Want to stay up all night talking your friends ears off? Drinking endlessly? Banging out ho's? Subsequently getting the runs? Smoking insane amounts of cigarettes? Try my high grade cocaine! It's the powder with the power!

John

Yeah Sure I supply you...

let me break your s1,l5,l4 because some assclown thought his speaker box in his back seat was more important than me sitting at a red light stopped. So all it took was me being hit at 65mph+ and smashed into a cop car than was in front of me.

You can gets lots too :) all the norco and oxy you want.... to bad i am one step from a wheel chair. I feel bad because I can walk but half the time I cant feel anything so I fall on my face. guess that what happens when your at 80% loss of nerves

music4life

how come you(TMZ) didnt mention prescription drugs until the end of the paragraph, all of those would be very harmful and contributing factors taking all those at once, isnt oxycodone dangerous? All of that was factors along with heart disease, as we all know prescription drugs arent any safer then street drugs, their all harmful.

D. Pickering

His commercials were extremely annoying, and he probably would have sold chocolate-covered buffalo droppings if they paid him enough. I refused to ever buy anything he was pitching. He was like a carnival barker: promise a lot and hook them in.

Nameless

The cocaine explains A LOT.

When I first heard about his death, I was shocked considering a person in their 50's these days is still relatively young and energetic. So to hear MJ and BM die out of the blue was surprising. Seems like now drugs are actually the underling cause in some of these deaths.

Summer of Death Tour '09 is still rolling strong with John Hughes' recent death.

frogpudding