Lil Mama: Sorry For Being a Lil Insensitive

9/2/2009 1:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Rapper Lil Mama has just apologized for comments she made on "America's Best Dance Crew" this weekend -- after she went a lil too far while grilling a transgender dancer.

During the rant, Lil Mama -- a judge on the show -- told Leiomy Maldonado: "Leiomy, come on. Your behavior ... it's unacceptable ... You were born a man and you are becoming a woman. If you're going to become a woman, act like a lady ... It gets too crazy and it gets confusing."

After taking heat over her comments, Lil Mama sent the following apology to GLAAD:

"I would like to clarify anything that was misunderstood from Sunday's show. My remarks were never meant to be disrespectful regarding Leiomy's gender nor offensive to the LGBT community, which has been a community that has supported me in all my endeavors. However, in hindsight, I recognize that my words may have come across as hurtful. I spoke with her privately after the taping to express that it was not my intent to offend her or any member of the transgender community and that I still live for Vogue Evolution."

me

lil mama you ugly man looking something i dont even know why they say you look like bow wow cause he cute you dogged that leimoy person out on abdc the other night talking bout you where born a man tryin to be a woman that she should act like a woman you should look like one.

Barb

I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Leiomy was acting like a diva and they haven't won anything yet. It's way to early for you to act like this, it will pull your group apart and your 15 minutes will be over at the 5 minute mark.

jimmysimpson

Oh now TMZ, someone dissed one of your homosexual brethern. Roast 'em.

LakersFan

Lil Mama looks like Bow Wow in drag..what's she talking about

J

She did not need to apologize. I don't know why people like this feel the need to act like damn fools, like she said, act like a LADY. That's what my mom always told me and what I always tell my girls.

I have nothing against transgenders, but, just bc you change what's on the outside doesn't make you a woman on the inside honey.

pua

"She lives for Vogue Evolution"???? Pitiful.

MacArthur

Transgenders or whatever they are called are as confused as a person can get. How utterly sad. They need to come to Jesus in the worst way and stop living a life of confusion. GLADD demands respect but come-on, GLADD and it's lot is a freak show.

kate is a very classy lady

HEY LIL MAMA YOU MEANT EVERY WORD U SAID. U MUST HAVE BEEN CALLED OUT/THREATENED BY PRODUCERS ON THAT SHOW. THAT'S WHY YOUR TRYING TO APOLOGIZE. YOU SOUND LIKE A HATER. DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND THESE PEOPLE ? THEY CANT HELP IF THEY WERE BORN A MAN BUT, ALWAYS FELT LIKE A WOMAN.DO YOUR HOMEWORK B4 U GO JUDGING PEOPLE. AND WHAT DOES THAT HAVE 2 DO WITH THE DANCING SHOW ? NOTHING. SEXUAL ORIENTATION/GENDER SHOULD NOT B JUDGED. RIGHT ? LIL MAMA'S BIG A** MOUTH LOOKS LIKE IT REALLY GOT HERSELF INTO SOME TROUBLE. SHE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT HER TASTE IN CLOTHES. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN HER OUT WITH HER TACKY OUTFITS ? LIL MAMA GET A FASHION COORDINATOR PLEASE. AND LEARN 2 KEEP YOUR GENDER HATER OPINIONS 2 URSELF. OR LOOKS LIKE U MIGHT NOT HAVE A JOB. AND PLEASE DONT TRY THE SINGING ACT AGAIN. U SUCKED BALLS.

sick of Rihanna

WTF- why did she apologize? It's the truth- that man was acting a fool. If he wants to be a woman he better start behaving like a lady... I totally agree with that statement.

Truth Hurts

I see where lil' mama was coming from and she could have said more with less. She should have just been direct and told leiomy that she was behaving immaturely when she/he left the squad hanging and that his/her attitude is going to hurt her chances of success in the long run. The fact that she is transgender has nothing to do with the fact that she was acting bit*chy...I know plenty of bit*chy men and women.

mia

She had to do the formal apology because going the PC route is expected of celebrities. But we all know she doesn't mean it. :) And I for one totally support her original statement. I'm so sick of flamboyant transgender queens.

CrossT

I don't see how the comment was in any way inflammatory. I am liberal. I don't care how people live. If you act like a dumbass, I'm calling you on it. That's all she did.

cash

if thats the face for transgender they need a new face.This dude looks like a dark young frankenstein and it dances like him too!

Homie1Kanobe

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY, CD SALES. LIL MAMA DID'NT WANT TO LOOSE THE GAY AND TRANS-GENDER BUYING POWER.ALL ABOUT MONEY

J0anna

I can see how her comments could be taken out of context as insulting to transgender people.

Although, if you watch the whole clip and how Laomy is behaving prior to the actual dance performance, you can see that is what is really being commented on - that behaviour. Not the best word choice though.

Act like a Lady is code for don't be a drama queen bitch and represent women as that - be a 'real' woman.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments