« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chargers Star -- Tila Tequila Was Drunk

9/7/2009 10:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

San Diego Chargers superstar Shawne Merriman is finally speaking about the incident that got him arrested yesterday, telling FoxSports.com that his girlfriend Tila Tequila was drunk and he was only trying to keep her safe.

"On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriff's Department responded to a citizen's complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided.

"We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California.

"There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriff's Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department, and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers."

UPDATE: Tila has Twittered a response to Shawne's allegations -- saying there's no way she could have been drunk because, "I am allergic to alcohol. It has been publicly known for years. That is how I got the name Tila "Tequila" cuz the irony. I cant drink"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Seppy

socalgal

Gee, if this doesn't work she'l be working in tj performing with donkeys.

rachel

"Who is this woman? She looks skanky?"
That does not justify battery.

"She was drunk"
That does not justify Battery.

Every woman should steer clear of P. Diddy also as he seems to only know batterers.

PG

"Caldwell said deputies determined Tequila had been drinking."

She is a liar. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6605619.html

Creeder

First, thanks to the well-paid lawyer for writing that wonderful statement.

Second, if she's drunk just take the keys away.

Third, Nicole made O.J. do it too.

Googie

WOW - she acts that way while sober???? She's such a whore - I meant media whore, she's just not believable. Dang look at the pictures where she's just all over him. She should be charged for poor judgement, bad behavior

A Person

get a life ya skanky stanky ho

Schwan

So I guess on your crappy VH1 show you were allergic to the alcohol then as well? So you faked being drunk because why?

ATXGirl

Uhm... IMDB.com says she started drinking at 14... and I'm pretty sure, unless they were virgin, she has been filmed drinking over the last few years... Regardless, real men don't hit women... that being said, real women don't cause our men such frustration they want to hit us.

honest t

A lot of alcholics have alergic reactions to alcohol.
I obviously have no clue if she was drinking or not but
to say that,
It is not possible because she is alergic to
alcohol makes no sense.
People who have allergic reactions to alcohol get drunk all the time.

yeah_right

If Tila was the drunk one she would would have been charged with drunk and disorderly. No cop is gonna take a drunk persons word for anything. And there had to be some physical evidence proving what she said or she wouldnt have had to go to the hospital and he wouldnt have been arrested. Just another athlete thinking he can do whatever he wants because he plays a sport professionally. This is what happens when a stupid person has too much money.

bobbyozone

damm ya beat me to it...
i was gonna say...
--all alcoholics are allergic to drinking--
*******************************************************
54. For the record EVERYONE is allergic to alcohol, that's what being 'drunk' is, an allergic reaction our body has to being poisoned.

Posted at 1:05PM on Sep 7th 2009 by Seppy

ricky

Apparently Tila isn't able to get press anymore so this was another attempt for her to get some fame on someone else name . Its a shame shawne has to hang out w/a bimbo .... Tila's 15 minutes of fame clock runs out every once in awhile so she has to do some kind of publicity stunt !!!!
Mr. Merriman maybe you should start hanging with some higher class ladies instead of leaches who have no talent OR WHO'S ONLY TALENT IS LIVING OF OTHERS !!!

ricky

I'm allergic to alcohol also NOW PASS ME MY DAMN BEER !!

who dat

He needs to dump this psycho immediately.