Ellen: I'm the New Judge on 'American Idol'

9/9/2009 9:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paula Abdul's vacant seat at the judges table on "American Idol" has officially been filled ... by Ellen DeGeneres.

Ellen announced the big news during a taping of her talk show today, saying "I have a big announcement to make. No one knows this ... I am going to be the new judge on 'American Idol.'"

UGGGGHHH

ELLEN IS THE BEST....

same same same

like this makes sense! no music backgound.... crap! Homosexuals are ruining everthing! poor adam came out one season to early!

lkjmpb

Is this a joke? I can't believe this, and the chemistry would really be off. I wonder how Simon fells about all this?
Bad choice, should have kept Paula.

ex lax

the lesbian american idols have it made!

Canadian Comment

Congratulations to Ellen! Kudos to the American Idol producers. This is an absolutely brilliant plan that will bring back AI fans who, yawn, yawn, were tiring of the old judging panel. And, it will be interesting to see if Ellen will be happy to be a player on the team, or will her celebrity upstage and overshadow her peers on the judging panel. My humble opinion from small town Ontario, Canada; Ellen will be the headliner this year; her popularity alone trumps the contestants and the panel.

Saved

I will no longer watch it!!!!

Darrelacity

Go to Darrelacity.webs.com

Wasted Spice

Ellen is okay , but the way they got rid of Paula , well, i'll never watch that talent show again.

Wasted Spice

opposite" HAHAHAHAA

Canadian Comment

Oh, all you American Idol non-watchers, I think you are so wrong. You may swear 24/7, on Harvey Levin's book of Good Ethical Practices for Tabloid News Dealers and Pimps, that you will not watch, but you will. You will watch at least once out of curiosity, or you'll watch once to gather ammunition to criticize.

elaine

I beleive Ellen will do a great job

Tommy

GREAT!! I am sooo excited!! Ellen is a great person and she knows what the public wants! She is definitely the perfect choice! And why the hell are all of you saying they should have someone judge who is fimiliar with the "music" biz?!?! Simon isnt in the "music" biz, so shut the hell up everybody!! Now they have 2 people who are "in" the music biz, and 2 people wo are not! Equal!! Music and dancing and entertaining is Ellen's passion and love, she's great for this!! :D

LC

Much as I am a huge fan of Ellen and her show, I'm not sure how and what she can contribute, as a judge, to American Idol. As a loyal follower of So You Think You Can Dance, I was really not impressed with her guest judge appearance in one of the shows this past season. She provided 'entertainment' and comedy, but there was no purpose to her appearance; no constructive comments. She made no difference... and I'm not sure if she will make a difference to the contestants and to the show.

I hope it all works out!

ileandromp

She's not going as an music expert, she's going as one of us, to represent the people that goes to the store and buy the cds.

I feel bad for Paula tho. being replaced with Ellen got to hurt.

NICOLE

I AM SO UPSET ABOUT THIS !!!! WHY ELLEN ???? I AM NOT EXCITED ABOUT THE NEXT SEASON AT ALL !!!!