Burt Reynolds

Goes to Rehab

9/16/2009 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0916_burt_reynolds_bn_01-1Burt Reynolds has checked himself into a rehab clinic in West Palm Beach, seeking treatment for a painkiller addiction.

Reynolds' manager released a statement earlier today claiming the 73-year-old actor was struggling after a recent back surgery and "realized that he was in the prison of prescription pain pills."

Burt's manager added, "He checked himself into rehab in order to regain control of his life.

Mr. Reynolds hopes his story will help others in a similar situation.

He hopes they will not try to solve the problem by themselves, but realize that sometimes it is too tough to do on their own and they should seek help, as he did."

UPDATE: Burt's manager says he's been released from the rehab clinic.

Valerie

Good luck to you Burt. You're a strong man. You can beat this.

As for all the negative comments - remember the word Karma? Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

God Bless you, Burt. My prayers are with you.

Peace and Love Always....

kim

WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT'S HIS NAME... CURT OH I MEAN BURT...

HEY #2 THAT SOUND SO GOOD, GOT MORE?

K

mrez golucky

Yikes! But don't touch the toup!

LOL

WHO CARES!

for; while my guitar gently weeps

Superstar Addiction, another Hero, Medication's gone Wild, how many unfamed die unnoticed, Best of Luck Burt!

sexy hollywood kid

OPEN LETTER TO TZM.COM AND BURT REYNOLDS

God Bless you Burt. I had an addiction problem in the past and have since been 4 1/2 years clean and sober . Thank you for getting help, and for being SO OPEN about it, so you may help others.

It's really a private fight, but you went public anyways because you CARE so much for other people...

Your are a great star and forever will be.

Get well soon

God Bless you Mr. Reynolds.

Sincerly,

Chris Blount

Phishsteak

He's still a good looking man after all these years. Sue your doctors for over-prescribing, Burt! Smokey and the Bandit forever!

High Dog

And to think I trust him giving me direction on my GPS. Well, saying that, the other Navtones I got was Gary Busey!

David M.

Isn't he the bald guy with the carpet on his head? I remember him when he used to appear in those real bad movies. No wonder he is taking drugs. It's not because of back pain, but hes remembering how bad his movies were.

mjoylaw

I love you Burt

R I P King MJJ and Anna Nicole, Elvis and countless others

Lawmakers, keep working

May these deaths not be in vain. Get well soon Burt

Jenn

You know, if you REALLY wanted to help after u get clean, u could start by helping some of the addicted that doesnt have the money to go to rehab and stay. I know some of you who dont know about addiction are thinking "well all the money u spend on dope could pay for rehab" but in all reality, no it wont. For someone who doesnt have insurance (most addicts dont) it would cost almost $100,000 for the minimum of a week stay, and getting proper treatment. and a addict needs more than a weeks stay, or they will go right back to using.

$$$

#9...What? You think we need a law to prevent people from being stupid and overdosing on drugs? Get the Government OFF our backs... IF they are that stupid, let them take all the drugs they want. Just so it does not infringe on MY rights...

whocares

He is still alive? Didn't know that...

Just wondering??

Oh man. And here I was thinking I was going to see him in some courdouroy OP shorts at a pool in Vegas. Bogus...

Pierce Aero

Oh God, they are going to ruin him. I'm not the biggest of Burt Reynolds fans, but even he deserves some credit for some pretty good work. The Dr. Drew/Dr.Phill types are making thier freakin bones breaking the "Anonymity" of thier celebrity patients to gain publicity for thier brand/Logo of rehab centers and devestating the lives, images and careers of those that they claim to help. Anonymity is NOT about "Nobodyism". Even Lindsey Lohan had a point recently when she commented that Dr Drew should be practicing his "Medicine" behind closed doors and not out in public. This kind of thing dates back to when Ralph Greenson made his name on Marylin Monroe's back. Literally.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments