Phillips: I Aborted My Dad's Possible Love Child

9/23/2009 5:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mackenzie Phillips went public with an incestuous relationship with her father today on "Oprah" -- and says the reason the affair finally ended was because she became pregnant ... and didn't know if her father was the father.

Mackenzie Phillips: Click to watch
Phillips claims she was raped by her dad, Mamas & the Papas singer John Phillips, while she was 19 -- and the relationship continued for 10 years. The "One Day at a Time" actress says she later became pregnant -- but wasn't sure if John or her then-husband Shane Fontayne was the baby-daddy.

According to Phillips, her father paid for the abortion -- and then she "never let him touch me again."

Nix

I believe you MacKanzie. I hope you are getting help. Your Dad also got you onto drugs first, I believe. That was to make you compliant and in his control. You did nothing wrong now try and be strong and have a good life.

The Truth

If you believe this GARBAGE you're an IDIOT..PERIOD!!

thinkaboutit

Where's all the pro-lifers to give her sh!t about having an abortion?

Ziggy

I agree with Rob, why would her father bang her fugly skanky ass when tons of beautiful women were throwing themselves at his feet? What a crackhead will do or say for money? She must have smoked up her inheritance already. She's a washed up crackhead looking for her next fix. Fast forward, this is Lindsay Lohan in 20 years.

gsbbutabi

I believe her. It is amazing how our minds work to protect us. Trying to make sense of the insane. Hopefully she will be able to heal more fully with this revelation.

.............

I'll never hear the song "California Dreaming" the same again. Please help!!! It's stuck in my head!

moveover

She's been coked up for the past 30 plus years. Whether it happened or it didn't, this is the icing on the cake of her sorry, pathetic life ... to come out and make this serious accusation against someone who isn't here to defend themselves. Junkies will do or say anything, or sell anyone down the river for money when they need it. Sorry, but I doubt any of it happened.

whatever

How very convenient daddy is dead so can't answer these allegations... Not saying the man was a saint - his drug issues are well known - but I wonder about the integrity of these claims when someone is trying to promote the sale of a book. I also didn't buy her demeanour on Oprah - alot of the time it felt like poor acting.

saddened

when you are abused like that - and have that kind of childhood you DONT know right from wrong - not only that - its not just physical abuse - for me it mentally broke me, you don't think like a normal person thank god my abuser was NOT my father - i cant even imagine

my2cents

To #50 (Tina) - Whether this story is true or not, this is NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT! I was mosested by my grandfather for 7 years beginning at age 11. I tried to avoid him, but he always seemed to find me when nobody was around. I didn't tell anyone, because I knew my mom wouldn't let my sister and brother and I ever see our grandparents again, and that they would be mad at me for that. It took me years before I saw a therapist, and it took a long time before I could admit that it wasn't my fault. I still have flashbacks and it has been over 30 years!

jwoolman

This doesn't really sound like something she would fake to sell a book. If she were just making it up, I would expect her to say it happened when she was much younger (and therefore she would get more sympathy from you folks who don't seem to understand that non-minors can be very vulnerable to pressure from such a parent as well as generally confused about their feelings - this is the guy who gave her drugs when she was a child, after all, hardly a candidate for Father of the Year). Admitting it started when she was 19 and didn't end until she was ten years older has the ring of truth.

This also is not in the same category as people who accuse parents of abuse after "recovering" memories under dubious therapy techniques. Memories are very easily manipulated under hypnosis, etc. But this is not the same - she didn't "forget".

It also is not unreasonable that she waited until the man was dead - much too complicated to reveal it while he was alive. She wasn't trying to drag him into court over it, so there was no urgent reason to reveal it earlier. I suspect she's trying to just get everything out in the open as a therapeutic measure, and this was a pretty big secret she's been holding in. Probably has taken this long just to come to terms with it all, including the fact that the baby she aborted might have actually been her husband's child rather than her father's.

Kevin

I'm buying it for two reasons. First, who would come up with something this sick about themselves if it wasn't true. Second, its in keeping with the self-indulgent, drug culture of the 1960s and 1970s. Sick, sick, sick.

Tia

That is disgusting on all levels. What a shameful thing to admit. Hopefully what she is saying is true. If it isn't she is very disturbed.

pokoinla

UGH! this is so disturbing, the fact that she can forgive him is incredible. I do not think she is making this up.

TITINA