Sharon Tate's Sis -- Polanski Didn't 'Rape'

9/30/2009 9:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Debra Tate -- the sister of Roman Polanski's second wife Sharon Tate -- doesn't want the director hauled back to the U.S. to be prosecuted.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Tate went on the "Today" show this morning, claiming Polanski wouldn't get a fair trial stateside for the rape of a then-13-year-old-girl back in 1977 -- because our "system is broken" -- and the matter would be better served in France ... whatever that means -- France can't prosecute him.

Tate added there's a difference between "rape and rape" -- and this was "a consensual matter."

juls

Its funny that the general public sentiment is that he needs to "do the time" (whatever that may be) for the crime and for fleeing to Europe and Hollywood types are all rallying behind him to just "forget the whole thing" because 30 years have passed.Why would Polanski be above the law? It disgusts me that he has been so egotistical for all these years to believe he is above the law!

Maggie

You think a 13 year old consented to ANAL sex?? I didn't even know where my whole was at 13, let alone that you could enter through the back.... seriously.

dave

why did he plead guilty then?

He raped a 13 year old - orally, vaginally, and anally - after, as she testified, she repeatedly told him no.

That's rape. And even if it was consensual - it's still rape, she was 13 and age of consent at the time was 16.

If any of us normal folks did something like this, we'd be in jail - b/c he is an international celebrity he somehow deserves compassion? Thats B.S.

chicken head

he was her cash cow--of course she has to say this-- HEY BITCH! if this happened to anybody else except a Kennedy he would be locked up for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!

melanie

OMG!! What is the world coming to when people want to forgive a man of raping and sodomizing a little girl? Just because hes in the movie industry? Come on people!!! Get a grip! If he did that to my daughter I would hunt him down myself and take care of it myself!! UGGH! Come on! That girl wasn't old enough to consent!!

Harry Kunt

FREE Polanski !!!

Flower

Stupid woman. I felt for her and the loss of her sister, as she raled for years against the release of the people who did that. What they did was a crime against her whole family.
What Polanski did was also a crime. There is nothing "consensual" about sex with a 13 year old child. It is even moreso lacking in "consent" when that child is drugged by an adult male, with the sole purpose of raping that child.
Stupid, stupid woman.

Ballistic

Wow- I wish I was a famous director. Then I could screw 13 y/o's after prying them with drugs and booze! One problem-- I am not a sociopath.

Bite Me !

WTF!Good Guy,my ASS.
How about if he had sex with her 13 yrs. old daughter.

Off The Rack

Listen, this pig is not being extradited to stand trial for raping a 13 year old. He's being extradited to be sentenced for it, and to stand trial for a 'fugitive from justice' charge. And all these hollywood famous folk who think their opinion matters, are just as twisted as Polanski if they want to excuse what he did to that girl. AND I'll say that the victim herself needs to shut her yap if she wants it behind her. The more she opens her mouth, the more I doubt her claim of just wanting to get on with her life. Let the system do what it needs to do.

Suzanne

It's amazing how fame wins people over. I don't care if you are the pope or the president or the homeless bum on the corner, rape is rape and this 40 something year old man raped a child.

Phishsteak

This numbskull sister should be prosecuted. What a moron. I grieve for humanity. Our planet is destroying itself because of nimrods like this.

miz

A guy I went to scholl with had sex with his 15 y/o girlfriend when he was 18. He now has to to live for the rest of his life as a registered sex offender. This guy took advantage of a child. Even if the girl thought it was consentual at the time, he knew better. She did not even look 18, so he can't play the "I didn't know" card. Not only that, even IF they drop the rape charges, he should be nailed for running as long as he did. Perverting the course of justice is illegal last time I checked.

moey

Yes- I'm sure every 13 yr old would consent to sodomy!He's a disgusting pig and I think he may need a little 1-on-1 with "Bubba" - I'm sure Bubba would consent!!

WTF is wrong with this country?

Unreal. This guy drugs and rapes a 13 year old child and says it's consensual? Since when does a non-drugged 13 year old child have the mental and emotional maturity to agree to have sex with a man of 40something, let alone a drugged one? And now for these so called Hollywood directors/petioners to voice their "demand" to release this already convicted criminal is beyond the pale. What unbelievable gall. I wonder how eager they would be to have this pervert go unpunished if the assault happened to their daughter or neice or granddaughter? My money says not so damn eager.

Sharon Tates sister usually has my deepest sympathies for her families tragic loss, but this woman is dead wrong on this matter. Just because this guy is "brilliant" or a "talentented director" does not preclude him from the law. I guess the moral to this story is, if you are a wealthy hollywood figure and commit a heinous crime (OJ, Robert Blake, Roman Polanski, et all) don't sweat it, the law does not apply to you.