Paul Anka -- Michael 'Stole' from Me

10/12/2009 9:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's the quickest resolution in Hollywood history: Paul Anka says the special administrators of Michael Jackson's estate gave him a 50% cut of "This Is It" ... after he said Michael "stole" the original recordings from his studio back in the 80s.

Paul also said John McClain told him, "Now we know why the song was so good ... it wasn't the type of Michael Jackson song that he could write."

Anka said he was humbled by the compliment.

Scott

37. Paul Anka should get 50% or more, you don't get something for nothing!

Besides MJ was so drugged up he probably forgot that he stole the song. What A LOSER, SICKO, and NOW THIEF!

I suppose all of you MJ fans are watching Roman Polanski movies too, or are you racially bias to Pedophiles??

Posted at 9:10PM on Oct 12th 2009 by isa1isa2

I get a real kick out of people who are haters but they still come to forums and read everything they can about him, kind of a contridiction huh? In any event I would comment on your comments but you are obviously so bias the truth would not sink in

Peace...

Water

Kooky I love you in ALL your incarnations!

Posted at 8:52PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Deb

You are so desperate for a man you would love anything that you think is a man

lili

To #6. "Now we know why the song was so good ... it wasn't the type of Michael Jackson song that he could write." That's such an insult. Michael wrote so many beautiful songs. His songs are legendary. Who ever said that is an idiot.

Posted at 8:38PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Michelle

*********************

I totally agree with you! To be honest, I liked this song, simply because it was a 'lovely' tune, but I thought that it lacked the Michael genius of his beautiful pieces. Paul Anka is NOWHERE NEAR Michael in originality, or genius. What rescued that song was Michael's sweet voice! Was it ever a hit when the other singer sang it, the answer to that is a resounding NO.

Paul Anka is LUCKY that Michael sang that song. Otherwise it was a loser.

stan

Hurray. I am a huge fan of both artist. Before I even herd the song (AKA PAUL ANKS VERSION) I knew Paul is no liar. When I herd the song I was proven right. Now that SOny and the MJ estate has setteled this (and in record time) I am sure Paula Anka would love to say (but I will do it for him) "I told you So" "I TOLD YOU SO"

Hypocrites

LOOK AT ALL THESE RABID FANATIC FANS TALKING SH*T ABOUT PAUL ANKA WHEN HE IS IN THE RIGHT. YOU FANS ARE THE MOST STUPID PEOPLE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

lili

35. This is a joke how long have they been talking about this song? for a while now and we have never heard noithing form this guy now that he think he can make a quick few million is really sad is there no statue of limitation on this kinda stuff? he claims Michael stole it way back when why didn't he do something when Mj was alive and they could hash it out like men ...if the two of them wrote the song together then yes he should get something but it was no need to call Mj a cheat.... This is the first I have ever heard of anything like this before Micheal is the king an Icon why would he steal this song it really aint up to par with What Mj dose he should have taken it up with Sony first becasue they released it Not Mj himself...so I think he could have been better with they way he approached this situation..I heard he has had a few good song but not no where near Michael's level and He should have been Greatful to be working with Mj.. seem like Micheal really put him on the map just like he did a lot to starts in hollywood..this is not Michael fault its Sony..and Anka becsue he should have taken care of it a long time ago...I think he had no intintions of taking action unless one of his songs is going to do well and he can make money off of it...

Posted at 9:06PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Michelle

*****************************

Excellent points here! Where was he 25 years ago, if he claimed that Michael stole this during Thriller?! I doubt that Michael stole this. I bet that he contributed more to the song that Anka did. There's more to this story than meets the eye, they probably settled this quickly just to keep away the controversy, but I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY THAT MICHAEL NEEDED ANKA FOR INSPIRATION, WHAT A LAUGH!

The King of Pop did NOT NEED ANKA!

There's much more to this than meets the eye!

Scott

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. Paul did not know they were using one of his old songs? With all the connections and people he knows he still did not know until it was "officially" released? I smell a rat and your the rat Paul way to make a buck off a dead man and his three kids.

Alex

46. FYI - I did a little checking on this issue.

Facts - In 1983 Michael Jackson & Paul Anka recorded this song together. It was rejected by MJ.

MJ didn't like the song. However, he didn't want his vocals used or released. So he placed them in a Vault.

Sony & The Michael Jackson Family Trust found the song without doing any due deligence. It was never MJ's intention to release the song and he wasn't STEALING the song. He was simply protecting his vocals from unauthorized display.

What Paul Anka didn't say, was that he had to sign a NON-DISCLOSURE before Michaels vocals were returned(years ago). So he should stop suggesting that the song was "STOLEN ".

Posted at 9:16PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Kent

Well said.

Sincerely, I understand why MJ did not want release it. I do not likr this song too.

Stop Milking his name

NOW I WANT TO KNOW....WHO IS SUPPOSED TO KEEP MJ'S LEGACY WHILE HIS THREE KIDS ARE UNDERAGE.

WHY IS MCCLAIN, A CO-EXECUTOR, BELITTLING MJ'S SONGWRITIGN SKILLS? MJ WROTE, EARTH SONG, BILLIE JEAN, BEAT IT AND A HOST OF OTHER CLASSICS ALL BY HIMSELF. HOW THERE THIS JACKASS IS SAYING MJ ISN'T A GRET SONGWRITER.
THE JACKSONS FAMILY ARE A BUNCH OF LEECHES, BUT NOW I AM WONDERIGN IS THIS MCCLAIN IDIOT IS EVEN FIT. HE WAS PRAISING MJ'S SONGWRITING SKILLS WHEN THEY FIRST RELEASED THE SONG TITLE, TODAY HE INCOMPETENCY IS REVEALED ADN HE DARES SAY MJ COULDN'T WRITE SUCH A SONG BY HIMSELF. YOU GET THAT RIGHT, HIS SONGS WERE BETTER.
WHAT IS JOHN MCCLAIN CONTACT INFO? I THINK WE NEED TO CONTACT HIM TO CONFRONT HIM ABOUT INSULTING MJ'S TALENT.

Missy

come on tmz paul did at first say "stole" but he immediately
re-worded his statement! So why don't tmz re-word this headline? Seem like tmz is trying to once again paint MJ in a badlight like the rest of the trashy tabliods...this is sonys fault not MJs!

MJ

6. P.S. Don't forget that Jackson bamboozled Paul McCartney in matters of the Beatles song catalog, also: innocent, angelic, perfect little Peter Pan that he (pretended) was alleged to be.

Posted at 9:09PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Raejean
______________________

That Peter Pan was clever enough to buy the BEATLES SONG CATALOG Why?? Because your Sir Paul McCartney was too cheap to buy his own music. deal with it. In btwn i am Beatles fan. People forget that when MJ bought the Catalog he wanted Black Artist to have rights to their own music. yes whenever Paul have to sing Hey Jude he has to pay royalties to MJ estate. (from Paul's owwn mouth)

Water

The King of Pop did NOT NEED ANKA!

There's much more to this than meets the eye!

Posted at 9:22PM on Oct 12th 2009 by lili

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/12/paul-anka-i-get-half/4#c22294313#ixzz0Tm6KRv44

He only needed little boys

LoveHimMore

Paul Anka, don't flatter yourself. The song, This Is It, is far below Michael Jackson's standards, and I'm sure MJ would not want the song released, at least not this schmaltzy lame version of the song, if he was alive to stop it. If MJ gave the tapes back, and there was some conflict, why, Paul Anka, do you have to say MJ "stole" them? Michael Jackson was a million times better songwriter and musician than Paul Anka will ever be.

shuffler

Posted at 9:09PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Raejean:
38. P.S. Don't forget that Jackson bamboozled Paul McCartney in matters of the Beatles song catalog, also: innocent, angelic, perfect little Peter Pan that he (pretended) was alleged to be.
------------

So, MJ is the bad guy for out-bidding Sir Paul McCartney fair-and-square? So MJ has to actually give these to Sir Paul because Sir Paul is broke and MJ is the charity?

Business is business. Paul did introduce Michael to the whole song publishing business, which is understandably why I can see Paul being upset, but I don't see why Michael had to hand over the Beatles Catalogue to Paul if Paul himself wasn't prepared to bid higher.

They don't buy these things just to listen to the tracks. They buy these things as an investment and both men had PLENTY of money to make it happen.

lili

Seriously, Anka is mostly a has-been, with very generic hits, appropriate for the 50's and 60's. Neither his lyrics nor his melodies match the complexity of Michael's repertoire.

He is LUCKY that Michael is dead to dare make such statements that MJ could not write that type of tune.

What a simpleton!