Tyler Perry

Sued Over Praising Jesus

11/26/2009 10:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Tyler Perry used too much of the goodness of Jesus in his movie, "Madea Goes to Jail," at least according to a new federal lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

1126_tyler_perry_doc_launch_ex-1

The suit, filed by the personal representative of deceased gospel singer/songwriter Bertha James, claims Perry lifted an entire verse from a song James wrote in 1950 -- "When I Think of the Goodness of Jesus."

The suit claims Perry pilfered the verse and used it in "Madea" -- specifically, "incorporating the entire Chorus in a monologue delivered by the main character in 'Madea" referencing her deliverance from a jail sentence and leniency for repetitive criminal conduct, in a staged court proceeding presided over by 'Judge Mabeline.'"

Bertha's estate, which is also suing Lionsgate Entertainment, wants unspecified damages for copyright infringement.

KATHY =( ^-^ )=

Liberals ruining the very fabric of this country.This and other things and the taking down the Christmas Tree down from Government buildings etc.IN THIS COOUNTRY THAT WAS FOUNDED ON THESE BELIEFS!

I think all you Liberals,etc. that don't believe in Jesus Christ have no business celebrating any part of Christmas festivities..It is Jesus' Birthday,and has been warped to greed. But it is STILL Jesus' Birthday,so WHY are you celebrating a Holiday that is connected to who you deny ,hate,etc.??? Why don't you just make up your OWN holiday called greedy day.. And pick another month while you're at it. What a bunch of bologna.. What are you doing with that Christmas Tree in your house?? You that complain about these things I feel sorry for. And enjoy your Black Fridays as you get in debt,and still will never be satisfied..

F. Attorneys

Estate: es·tate (n) property left to family members who have never held a real job and leech off their relatives' hard work.

See also: Joe Jackson

dragongball

Love the judge's name. Maybe it's her married name, or...... Maybe she's born with it

readmore
khampha24h
doimoi.org

JGreen

I think Tyler Perry is hilarious. Madea is a fantastic character and who could play her better than Tyler? I love that he incorporates Jesus into his plays and movies. Leave him alone people.

oprah

This letter was written by a honored WW II vet. He is well known in Hawaii for his seventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and causes all over the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body, he has never spoken out before about a government official, until now.He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the president.

Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor, allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.

I can't figure out what country you are the president of.
You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:
" We're no longer a Christian nation"
" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even
announced to the world,"America is mean-
spirited. " Please tell her to try preaching
that nonsense to 23 generations of our
war dead buried all over the globe who
died for no other reason than to free a
whole lot of strangers from tyranny and
hopelessness.)
I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals."

Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue. You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.
You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.
And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle.

Sincerely,
Harold B. Estes

When a 95 year old hero of the "the Greatest Generation"
stands up and speaks out like this, I think we owe it
to him to send his words to as many Americans as
we can.

MissingMJ

To: KATHY =( ^-^ )= I feel I need to say something and I do not want you to think I'm attacking you because I'm not. I'm just tired of how Liberals are called "Godless" or they don't know Jesus. Please stop overgeneralizing a whole group of people. I'm going to try to say this to the best of my ability, so if I start to ramble or not make sense please forgive me. I happen to be a Liberal politically and a very proud Christian. As a matter of fact I am a Sunday School teacher at my church.I try to keep my religion separate from my politics and my politics separate from my religion. I do not think the government should dictate morals to people. No one (I believe especially God) wants forced morals or religion. If God wanted forced religion or morals he would not have created freewill. I have strong Christian morals and I teach them to my son. I tell people about God whenever I can, but I want to explain I don't only "tell" with my words, but by example of how I live my life. I believe showing who God by the way of example is much more powerful than telling them who God is. I do my job as a Christian of teaching the word, living a Christian life (the best I can), and living my Christian morals. If people do not believe or do not want to live with Christian morals, then that is between them and God, not me or the government. You can have your beliefs and if you feel you don't want to separate your religion from your politics that is your God given right, but please, stop overgeneralizing people and please do not buy into the blind hate that mostly comes from a political medium (who by the way only uses this blind hate for their own agenda and normally personal gain) for a fellow human. God Bless you.

MissingMJ

dragongball

25. Back on topic I love Tyler Perry. I think he is an amazing talent. He has worked hard for everything he got. He is truly a rags to riches story and shows how God can truly bless someone. Didn't I just read on CNN the other day that Tyler just gifted NAACP?
www.khampha24h.com

Erica

@ MissingMJ

Very well said! Republicans are so full of hate and ignorance. So quick to claim that they are Christians yet, have hate in their hearts for others who don't look like them or for those who are less fortunate. The only things the buffoons care about is abortion and war.

MissingMJ

@ Erica Thank you for your kind comment. I'm not going to overgeneralize republicans. I know republicans that are wonderful people and great Christians. We may not see eye to eye all the time, but we show respect. I will say it again, please, stop overgeneralizing people and please do not buy into the blind hate that mostly comes from a political medium (who by the way only uses this blind hate for their own agenda and normally personal gain) for a fellow human. God Bless you.

Chuck D

What a bunch of bloodsuckers..they must be totally broke to do this.

lietyna eugene

i no your'll going to stop playing with tyler perry you'll must don't no who that man is tyler perry is a man of god and he has inspired so many people above and beyoung this godly heaven and earthly place.i can speak for not only me but for his other fan's as well don't hate congulate;;you nut's you not going to get a penny out that solder. now mark that down as a i,o,u.from the n.o you heard me;;;;;get your own pennis how you live and leave my boy pennis along.he not making money for some broke ass won't to be to hit him up get a job loser;;;;;;;;;

thomas stepheson

it shouldnt be people like we are suing... rather than punk kids that disrespect jesus like these kids..this is dispicable this video.

Steve Blankenship

Praise on Brother !

honesty

Tyler did not steal something on purpose. Let's be honest here, there is nothing that has not been said, that has not be said before, and nothing that has been done, that has not be done before. So many people, have been around so long, things will be copied if they are meant to be copied or not.
Pay the woman a token amount for the phrase, and go on. If you make multi-millions of dollars, everyone puts their hands out.
I loveeeeeddddd Madea goes to jail. Great movie, and it made me laugh. This is not a woman of God. This woman is all about MONEY. Just give her some. GEEEZZZZZ.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments