« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bobo Frog

His first mistake was getting married...part of that mistake was his choice in bride...all the following mistakes were his choice in mistresses and lack of common sense in terms of discretion. This is going to be a costly error(s), and he will pay a lot of money for them...and his concentration on the golf course will be blown.

Feds Under Suspicion

Tiger and Elin - hold fast to each other. Everyone is human. I'm glad I am not famous, because some of my behavior in my youth has been less than upstanding. Despite this trying time in your lives, you have a GREAT family. Cleave to each other. Pursue whatever counseling is necessary to help you control the desires that threaten your personal and professional success. Whenever you feel the need to stray from that, think of each other, the kids and the precious pouches. You as a family unit will weather this trial and be stronger for it. Why not consider taking a backyard astronomy class together at a nearby community college so you can see how small your problems really are compared to the greater scheme of things? Tiger - now do you MUST realize why Elin, your lovely wife, is the only woman you should trust intimately. Not only did you not watch out for your family, you didn't watch out for yourself. Tiger - be careful! These trashy types will throw you under the bus in no time for a nano-second of fame. There is no honor anymore in this cruel world. Its worse than the titanic - everyone for themselves, especially with the tanking economy. Its not worth it for a flash in the pan. Hold you head up high Tiger, and with renewed respect for what Elin brings to the table in terms of trust. That's priceless. Good luck. My love and prayers to you all.

Play

The way I see it, when you become a celebrity athlete who makes 2 billion off of endorsements, you kind of give up your right to privacy when you choose to be any less than the role model. It is a fair trade off. 2 Billion for leading a clean life. Part of accepting that 2 billion is knowing that you will always be under public scrutiny and smart enough to make the right choices in life.

ForeLeft

HOLE IN ONE!!!!

Way to go Tiger, I always knew you were a dirt bag. I may not be the best in the world at my job, I may not make hundreds of millions, I may not live in a fancy house (BTW, why can't you afford a more private home with NO neighbors?), but I do have one thing you'll never have...........respect for my wife an marriage.

I can't wait to see the fall out and the multiple women who come forward. You're an idiot....maybe apologize to your fans? I'll have a bucket of chicken delivered later today by Fuzzy Zoeller so you'll feel better.

A.B.

Happy now, TMZ?

Got your revenge?

DRS

And now, the carefully crafted, carefully managed facade that was Tiger comes crashing down in the acknowledgment that he's no better than the rest. But man did he make a s***load of money fooling the pack with that image. So tough to pull off in the long run in this instant video, instant audio, instant media age.

BB

Tiger it's no longer "private" after your Ho blabbed to the entire world. And strive to be a better husband...a Dude...you really don't have a clue, you can put an "ex" in front of the "husabnd."

ewamaria

ah, karma is a biotch. But he did the best he could do - he owned up to it. Can't help to think that he's mostly upset by the public scrutiny because it helped uncover his sinister ways. Good luck to his cute little family, hopefully they'll get through it even if he doesn't deserve it.

Jake

Just another hypocrite.

Denver

And Elin says : "You're not stickin' that ugly thing in me anymore you skanky brutha". "From now on...if you want to say anything to me...call my attorney...who really is a good looking man...unlike you"

Madeline Bulleit

Well said and from the heart. This IS a personal matter. Having been through a similar situation..it is one of the most painful times in my life...when your family's well-being is hanging on a precipace and others outside of the marriage are involved. Leave them alone so they can put it all back together. There is nothing in this world that will ever replace what they have within the walls of their home and between eachother. Let them heal.

Kooky Fan

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty women your wife
Go for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Don't let your friends tell you you have no taste
go ahead and marry anyway
Her face is ugly her eyes don't match
take it from me shes a better catch

Creeder

I feel sorry for Elin. Hope she can heal and take care of her kids. Tiger, I've watched you since you were a little kid at Dad Miller Golf Course in Anaheim. No excuses for what you did to your family.

lululatrue

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger. Oh well. Lets move on people nothing to see here.

deke

eff off tiger you p_ssy. you think you are so much smarter than us that we would just let this go away because you are untouchable? not so! you can't control everything, welcome to the real world...