« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

a fan

Tiger has shown nothing but contempt for his wife and the police. He is a billionaire athlete and thinks he can get away with anything he wants to do. He should be ashamed but he is only embarrassed that he got caught. How many women has he slept with that are keeping quiet? It makes me sick to think he was having sex with these women who look like tramps while his wife was either pregnant with his children or caring for them at home alone. He is the lowest of the low. At least the SC governor was in love with his mistress.

janicebyrne01

WHO CARES????? Stop printing all this boring rubbish about the Woods. It's THEIR business. ENOUGH ALREADY.......

DeeDee

Open letter to Tiger: I believe that down deep you are not sorry for what you did, but sorry for the fact that you got caught at doing what you did. Otherwise my guess is you would not have done it in the first place. When you are role model, and have the image of a "good" guy, there will always be someone out there, somewhere, who wants to knock you off that perch. It's a package deal. With the fame, money and trappings all that entails, comes the scrutiny, the lack of privacy. I can't believe you are that naive. My advice to you, don't give them anything to talk about. Conduct yourself with integrity. Stay out of Las Vegas nightclubs and hanging out with people who want nothing more than to be photographed with you, seen with you. If you have such high regard for your family, and don't want to hurt them, and truly love them, then treat them with the respect that they deserve.

Alexa

Now that he got "caught" he's going to strive to be a better husband and father? Why deprive yourself,Tiger? It's obvious what you'd rather be doing...screwing your whores. Who do you think you're kidding?

danica

Good words. In other words stay out of his business. This statement is a big slap in the face to all those tabloids who keep trying to make people's personal lives fodder for ratings.

j3105nm

I think Tiger has lived his life in a classy way, and it is disgraceful so many people want to bring him down to the Jerry Springer type role. Give him a break. He is a gentleman on and off the links. His private life is "private". Leave him alone.
Madalyn

Somebody , shoot it! Quick!

Another one bites the dust.

legal beagle

Well the shine is off that man. I don't think it will cost him any sponsors, Tiger is Tiger. whore monger or not. My guess is he patches things up with Elin,someone will convince her to stay with him.
Tiger is golf and this is really a crisis for the sport. I guess if you are married to a gorgeous woman you will cheat with a cheap trollop the nature of man . Tiger was never a lover of the press this should just make it worse. i just wonder if this will ruin his game ?
Tiger may be the greatest golfer in history but I bet Jack Nickalus never cheated!
never cheated. Lucky his Dad isn't around to see how he screwed up.

Brian

I tried to tell everyone this guy was a dirtbag & hypocrite.

Elin, just say when... me & you babe, it will make him NUTS! Then every tournament, I can just smile at him & wink. Best revenge you could get, better than half his $$.

NJ

If you purchase your phone legally with your own ID then your phone quite naturally will be identified by the reciever as the owner of the phone. with this in mind Tiger how can she remove her name from the phone without using someone elses phone?.....Cant do it.

FAUX NUES SUKS

I THINK ALL YOU A**HOLES THAT WERE TRASHING TMZ FOR PURSUING THIS STORY YESTERDAY & DEFENDING THE "SQUEAKY CLEAN" TIGER SHOULD
A P O L O G I Z E TO TMZ TODAY, AS THEY WERE RIGHT TO FOLLOW THIS STORY......

joe

Ok, so the scenario was. Thanksgiving day Elin tells him she has proof of the affair, and wants a divorce. Dinner is a disaster, he starts eating pain medication like candy, gets depressed, starts drinking, starts hallucinating, sees his life falling apart, losing his kids, runs out to the car in a zoned out state of mind and crashes the car. She did not chase him, but did, in fact, go out to get him out of the car.

missumj50

NOW YOU ALL KNOW WHAT MICHAEL JACKSON HAD TO ENDURE FOR ALL THOSE YEARS........

London not England

YOU Stupid, Stupid little BITCHES....

You constantly disrespect the "INSTITUTION" of "MARRIAGE", and STEAL EACH OTHER'S MEN, then Claim "Solidarity" when it's "DIVORCE" TIME!?!?!!

Ya know What..Keep Your F#@KING "Marriage"!!!!

Carrie Prejean & Jerry Falwell were RIGHT "MARRIAGE SHOULD BE BETWEEN BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN"
You Deserve each other!

ForeLeft

I wonder if Steve was there to wash Tiger's balls once he was done porking his mistress? Maybe Stevie had some flithy seconds?