« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Attorneymom

Memo to Tiger and all the whore mongering spouses: Talent, effort and charisma will help you acquire success but CHARACTER will help you maintain it. You are only as great as your character (i.e., who you are in the dark outside the presence of cameras, publicists, spouses, family, fans, endorsers). Selah.

L.A.

Tiger dont apologize for anything,,,You dont owe the public any explanation, half of the people complaining have never even swung a golf club and prob no nothing about the sport you make billions off of..lol

So what you cheated,,,I still believe you are a family man, you just cheated, with some dumb bimbo's who have huge freaking mouths. How are these retarded women going to try and ruin you NOW when you did nothing to them,,they are bitter b**ches, and just seeking attention,,

bear

I'm sorry but the sparkle around his star has just gone out. WHY do these guys with larger-than-life careers cheat on their families. Is it egos?

HonestGuy

Here's a clue, "tiger", if you want privacy then don't screw other women IN PUBLIC. Yeah, dumbass, when you fly women halfway across the world to stay in your hotel room with you it is no longer a private matter. You've aired your dirty laundry for everyone. Another thing, kissing women in bars, also NOT PRIVATE. - Finally, I might add that YOU put yourself out there. You used your personality, "good will", reputation and PRIVATE (as in not related to golfing) attributes to sell cars, watches, and shoes. If you pimp out your inner most PRIVATE ethics and morality to make a buck then you have invited the world in to judge you. - Want to be anonymous, buster? There are tons of pro golfers who no one can name. Their families and personal lives are off limits because they keep their game on the course. When you come into living rooms to tell us about how hard you work, what your personal value system means for investing and car ownership, etc, then you yourself are to blame for foregoing a private life. - One last thing, remember that Nike commercial about ten years ago when you LIED and said you had been kicked off golf courses for being black and then admitted you made it up to sell t-shirts and shoes? Yeah, some of us haven't forgotten you're a lying sack of sh*t either. Guess your wife just found out.

unreal

What makes me sick isn't even the cheating or the fact that he's making this more about the papparazzi and privacy then what he did was wrong. Don't get me wrong cheating is wrong and yes no one is perfect..but what makes me sick is the blatant disregard for his health and his spouse. The fact then when people cheat with multiple s*uts/who*res/vegas coc*tail waitresses...the chances of bringing a disease home to the mother of your children is all that much more greater. You're not just hurting your wife emotionally and mentally but also hurting your spouse physically. She needs to be around for her two children and not have to worry about HIV, AIDS or even Cancer causing HPV strains.

?????

Now this is a statement from Tiger that I can respect. He's acknowledging that he has done wrong within his marriage, he's just not going to give us all the details. That's fine. The whores will give us the details; let them make all the money from the media that they can because Tiger will be cutting them off. The chick who is denying an affair with Tiger should change her story too.

CooleyPink

Good luck getting your home back in order Tiger. All of this could have been avoided if you had just kept it in your pants but what's done is done. Everyone should leave them alone now.

Eric

HOW LONG WILL IT BE BEFORE A SEX TAPE COMES OUT...HMMMM...????

Mikey

I think when you accept that million dollar endorsement check, your image will by necessity fall under more scrutiny. But in return, you get compensated by big pay days. You can't have it both ways, bro.

Queenbee101

To Tiger's Wife: Keep your 98% man and the heck with the nonsense! Don't give your money to lawyers, you might get a 69% man next time. Keep him. After all this, He might just straighten up!

To Tiger: Stop fooling with Trash women and get on with your life! Women in the street want to be in the home with you and are just trying to cause trouble between you and your wife! Stand tall as a unit with your family, and leave the street trash women in the STREET! Where they BELONG!

thenewloon

Your Creator is speaking so stfu! Tiger Woods is one of my greatest creations, and he can do no wrong in mine eye...I bestowed upon him great talent and he has used my gift, and used it well...when he joins me in paradise he will have Helen of Troy and Cleopatra waiting to bathe his nuts with nector...so sayeth The Lord!

Rainey

"Made some mistakes" is not what a 3 year on-going affair is, Shady. His wife and those kids deserved to be with someone who values them above all else and who truly loves them....actions speak louder than words...and his show his doesn't. I hope Elin runs and ends up with a man that can be a real role model for those children. In time, he will be the major loser here - and it's all of his own making. What goes around does come around...Sad, so much time has been spent learning how to knock around a little golf ball...seems he should have been studying more important life lessons. Loser. Oh, and this "statement" isn't going to make any of this go away....I hope every detail of his transgressions are exposed for everyone to see! You play, you pay. There are ALWAYS consequences....and his are going to be so costly.

Susan

For all those accusing these women of being whores or skanks, TIGER is the only male whore sleeping with other women (yet to see how many) and he is the married one, not the women he slept with. He is a grown man and chose to sleep around so put the blame where the blame belongs. If it wasn't these women it someone else very possibly married women as well as there are many who would JUMP at a chance to bed him! From hearing from the first mistress it sound as though Mr. Woods was in love with himself and using women for his own pleasure and not being respectful at that (listen to his phone conversation and texting. Just because one can play a simple game of golf and make alot of money at it does not make him any better than these women that he slept with. People need to get their common sense and logic together and realize that he is just a man and quit making TIGER WOODS out to be a god as the bible speaks about worshiping false gods. It is not like this man created a cure for cancer for goodness sake he can hit a ball into a hole better than most. BIG DEAL!!!!!!

sharon

What he did was not okay, acceptable, or morally right. However, he's a human being and after he steps off the golf course he leads a double life. I'm not condoning his behaivor but is anyone really THAT suprised? This is a pattern with popular athletes. There's just too much temptation for them to resist. They do not posses super human resistant powers and at the end of the day he's still a regular guy who got busted for cheating. Only problem is, he got busted with millions of people witnessing it.

dd

And we were chastized yesterday for reading the tabs, come on Tiger. I was actually feeling sorry for you, I thought that your wife took it too far, but no, it's you. You deserved that golf club upside your head. Women have babies, support their husbands and they still run off with a two dollar ho! If a man denies his race like Mr. Tiger often does you just can't trust him. Now I am on team Elin, sometime women marry for love it's not always money!