Courtney Love

Loses Legal Control

of Daughter

12/14/2009 4:26 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Courtney Love no longer has legal control of her daughter. TMZ has learned a legal guardian has been appointed to care for 17-year-old Frances Bean Cobain.

Courtney Love Loses Legal Control of Daughter
Guardianships of this nature are frequently established when the parent is not capable of taking care of their children.

The guardians appointed by the court are Wendy O'Connor, Kurt Cobain's mom, and Kimberly Dawn Cobain, Kurt's sister.

The guardianship was established on Friday. Courtney Love was not in court.

The guardianship is for both Frances Bean personally and her financial well-being.

The guardians do not have power over the trust established after Kurt Cobain's death.

The guardianship was established after a fairly long period of unstable conduct by Courtney Love. The court proceedings, however, are sealed.

UPDATE: TMZ just spoke with Courtney's friend and lawyer, Keith Fink, who says, "Courtney wants to say she loves her daughter and she's the most important thing in her life." As for the guardianship, Fink says Courtney knows her grandma will take care of Frances Bean.

Dorein

This is NOT the first time. When Frances Bean was just a baby, her custody was given to her grandmother. After some time, it was reinstated to her mother. Whatever....this beautiful, intelligent, young woman will soon be on her own, legally. God bless her. Despite all...she's so much better than all she's had to deal with.

It's been such a joy watching Frances Bean grow up to be the young woman she is.

Lisa

Courtney Love has had more second chances and unbelievable opportunities handed to her on a silver platter than anyone else I can think of. An oscar nomination for playing a heroin addict?? Yet she manages to screw up every time.

kat

The last thing i've read about Courtney on TMZ was that FBC's inheritance from Kurt's estate was only one million dollars. That would be my guess as to why she's leaving her mother. Courtney has blown threw millions of her daughter's money,and claims she fought so hard for France's to have. I pray Kurt's mom has plenty of sense to invest whats left of that money, because a 17 yr. old is not going to...

blndee

WTF! It's about time! However Frances is probably womb-induced & addicted to heroine & crack since conception. SAD SAD we continue to allow idiots like her Mom to conceive

riotness_99

Dear Penny:

Thanks for your feedback re: 'riotness_99' I like the name too. Pity I'm not her but thanks.

what_the

Umm Penny Dreadful, riotness_99 is not CL. just one of her biggest fans and supporters.

Cindy

As a child of a dysfunctional family I know first hand what that does to you, but it is too late to help this kid. If she is 17, the damage has already been done. I can remember my life as it was yesterday. My mom and I didn't talk for many years due to her drinking and her hateful behavior. It was because of MY forgiveness of her that we had any relationship at all before she passed away at 73 years old. Too late to make any amends to me or my brother. Now, at 60, I have no family to speak of. Both parents are passed and my brother too. I hope that they can both forgive before it is way too late! God Bless them both.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4