Garth Brooks Sues: Hospital Made $500,000 Error

12/16/2009 2:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Garth Brooks Sues: Hospital Made $500,000 ErrorGarth Brooks is waging a bitter legal war against a hospital in his hometown, demanding the Oklahoma hospital return a $500,000 donation he made because it never named a building after his mother.

It's all over a deal Garth claims he made with Integris Canadian Valley Regional hospital in Yukon, Oklahoma about four years ago. In his lawsuit, filed in state court in Oklahoma, Garth claims his donation was supposed to go towards a new hospital building that would be named after his mother Colleen -- who died from cancer in 1999.

But the building never got built -- despite a $27 million renovation and expansion project last year -- and Garth wants his money back claiming the hospital breached the donation contract.

The hospital claims it's all a giant misunderstanding and hopes the dispute will reach a "swift and amicable end."

Sarah

Garth is expecting to much for too litte. Really, $500K? chump change. The Luci Curci Cancer Care Building at Eisehower in Rancho Mirage was named after Luci for a mere $60 million

Rob

I live about a mile from the hospital in question. If they ever build the building, I will take a picture of it for you!

Music Guy

I fail to understand the complication here. I (Joe Citizen) offer to -voluntarily- donate a half mil to my local hospital. Thats equal to 12 & 1/2 years wages for someone making $40k per year. All I ask in return for my generous donation is to puy my Moms name on the door.
Hospital says "sure, we will do that", but then doesn't. Tell me again who the guilty party is here. All Joe (Garth) is asking for, is some level of responsibilty in keeping an agreement. Gosh, what an arrogant ass.

KG

Mr. Brooks - I don't know if you read these posts or not but I hope that you do or at least your publicist does. I completely agree w/ your lawsuit (go for it!). I lost my Dad to cancer 2 years ago, and yes, it is very personal when you open your heart like you have. Memories of a Mom or Dad that are gone are priceless. My Dad watched me when I was born - and I held him when he took his last breath. God bless your generosity and please keep singing. Your songs are amazing. crickster4@yahoo.com, My name is Katherine.

Allison

I think a lot of the commenters on here are missing the point that the hospital didn't hold up its end of the bargain. If you donate money for a specific purpose, then it should be used for that purpose. He has every right to sue them!

Lori

For all of you who are bad-mouthing Garth, you are just jealous. He endures this bashing all the time and he takes the high road. There was a contract and the hospital has not or decided not to fulfill their contractual obligation and that is why he is suing.

Get over it. You would do the same if you had the money to donate and somebody didn't uphold their end of the obligation.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3