Blackstreet Singer: I Would Never Beat My Kids

12/30/2009 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Teddy Riley, a singer from the group "Blackstreet," claims he never carried out any sort of attack against his daughters -- but admits the only thing he's guilty of ... is over-spoiling his kids.

As TMZ first reported, one of Riley's adult daughters obtained a restraining order against him, claiming the singer beat her and her sister and threatened to hurt them with a guitar from the video game Rock Band earlier this month.

But in a statement to TMZ, Teddy flat-out denies the allegations -- and insists the entire situation arose because his parenting techniques allowed his kids to have "an inflated sense of entitlement and expectation."

Here's the statement in its entirety:

Due to recent events, I am compelled to respond in detail to accusations made against me, by my daughters.

I love my Daughters, but I will not allow my children to disrespect me in my home. Contrary to what I have been accused of, I would never beat my children.

Perhaps, I should have been a stronger disciplinarian as they were growing up. I worked very hard so that my children would want for nothing.

In hindsight, I see that it was a mistake to give them everything they wanted so that they could have the childhood I never had. Unfortunately, they have taken me, and the privileged life I have given them, completely for granted.

Instead of being appreciative and realizing how fortunate they are, my children have an inflated sense of entitlement and expectation without having to work or earn their way.

However, my 'children' are no longer children, they are adults and I am trying to instill in them values and a work ethic of their own. My mother always told me "too many grown people can't live in one house" so I encourage them to have their own homes if they cannot abide by the rules of mine. I am not an uptight Dad, I am as hip as they come but I will not tolerate being taken advantage of or disrespected, especially in my home.

I've been working since the age of 14, I bought my first car by myself. Nobody gave me a car. My kids don't even remember their first car. I grew up with 6 of us in an apartment fighting over one bathroom. My kids have never had to share a bathroom, let alone a bedroom.

I'm asking everyone to let this one go... I'm only being a good parent. I'm a great father and everyone who knows me, knows this is true.

With all my love,
Teddy Riley

Jean

I TOTALLY BELIEVE HIM. He discipline his daughters and they didn't like it.

Teddy Riley is a very nice guy. Shame on his daughters!

theTRUTH

ummm... okay great father you still fought those girls like they were guys! The Pictures don't lie... and neither did your tweets about the incident after. Check necolebitchie.com for the pics of Taja's face, and the tweets back and forth... Teddy I bet you won't hit a grown man the way you hit those girls!

Dani

Nice try, but can't retract Twitters timeline. You basically admitted to it and once you realized the ramifications of your statement, you pulled the page & statement down.

Broken

I agree with Comment #1 It's so easy to destroy someone by talking trash. You can say anything in the Medias and people will believe it, destroying the poor guy in the process. Shame on his daughter.

Missy

I agree with #1...I totally believe him! Kids today when given the world act like spoiled brats...it's really pathetic to see how they are when grown adults as well. You don't do your child any favors by giving them everything they want.

theTRUTH

all he has to do is release a BS statement and people are like oh its okay... TMZ needs to post the pictures of Taja's face and his now deleted twitter account where he says "I'll do it again... don't bite the hand that feeds you or it will smack you right in the face" every other site has it... put it up TMZ!

Teddy is suffering from shortman complex and took it out on his kids, TRY IT ON A GROWN MAN TEDDY BITCHASS RILEY! And Bita is still a golddigging whore who will leave you once she realizes just how broke you truly are

mporter88

Most of the people I know who grew up "rich" are lazy and out of touch with what it takes to earn a living and if it weren't for the cash flowing downhill into their pockets they would end up putting out for food..

But the worse part is when they disrespect people who actually work for a living as being "below" them.

Thank god my people are (insert color here)trash

Vonn

TRUTH, who is this bita that you are talking about?

b

Janet

Blah, blah, blah.

mlepps72

He needs to explain the pictures and the tweets . . .bottom line! Noone can really comment on this situtation unless they know the real deal . . . people can fabricate and touch up pictures and hack into twitter accounts . . especially children that want to hurt their father for putting down the iron foot!

theTRUTH

12. although i do not condone assult or abuse i do have to enlight that the last comeents made on twitter by a profile named teddyriley1 with a edward riley in it were comments made by a fake account made after his official accout was deleted!! but the pic of his daughter are disturbing. i pray for the family to maed and love. god bless

Posted at 2:16PM on Dec 30th 2009 by b
------------------------------------------------------------------

Incorrect... that was his twitter account... I saw it with my own two eyes. The reason that it says 28minutes ago or what have you is because they are screen shots... meaning that they are photos of the screen from when he first posted it that someone took and sent out to all the gossip sites. He posted those tweets on the actual night that the incident took place...

And to say that it's okay because they are spoiled... Seriously? Its okay to beat your kids up because they are spoiled? ummmm... NO! THAT IS CALLED ABUSE!!!! and because they are 18 and 20/21 it is BATTERY!!! Both Taja and Deja need to press charges!

Shan_Fan

www.overworkedmommusings.blogspot.com

theTRUTH

@Vonn... Bita is his 22 year old girlfriend who was the cause of the fight. He ABUSED his daughters because they didn't get along with/respect the dumb broad who he has playing mommy when she is their same age. A lot of the other sites have the tweets between her and his daughters as well.

TEDDY BITCHASS RILEY you are stupid for putting some girl you've known for 2 months over your daughters.

Oh and the girls make their own money! Both are professional well known dancers. Especially Taja!

Megan

He said he beat them on his Twitter page and said he would do it again.

This all steams from the girls and his extremely young girlfriend who got into an argument. It was all on Twitter!! Tell the whole truth Teddy

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments