Blackstreet Singer: I Would Never Beat My Kids

12/30/2009 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Teddy Riley, a singer from the group "Blackstreet," claims he never carried out any sort of attack against his daughters -- but admits the only thing he's guilty of ... is over-spoiling his kids.

As TMZ first reported, one of Riley's adult daughters obtained a restraining order against him, claiming the singer beat her and her sister and threatened to hurt them with a guitar from the video game Rock Band earlier this month.

But in a statement to TMZ, Teddy flat-out denies the allegations -- and insists the entire situation arose because his parenting techniques allowed his kids to have "an inflated sense of entitlement and expectation."

Here's the statement in its entirety:

Due to recent events, I am compelled to respond in detail to accusations made against me, by my daughters.

I love my Daughters, but I will not allow my children to disrespect me in my home. Contrary to what I have been accused of, I would never beat my children.

Perhaps, I should have been a stronger disciplinarian as they were growing up. I worked very hard so that my children would want for nothing.

In hindsight, I see that it was a mistake to give them everything they wanted so that they could have the childhood I never had. Unfortunately, they have taken me, and the privileged life I have given them, completely for granted.

Instead of being appreciative and realizing how fortunate they are, my children have an inflated sense of entitlement and expectation without having to work or earn their way.

However, my 'children' are no longer children, they are adults and I am trying to instill in them values and a work ethic of their own. My mother always told me "too many grown people can't live in one house" so I encourage them to have their own homes if they cannot abide by the rules of mine. I am not an uptight Dad, I am as hip as they come but I will not tolerate being taken advantage of or disrespected, especially in my home.

I've been working since the age of 14, I bought my first car by myself. Nobody gave me a car. My kids don't even remember their first car. I grew up with 6 of us in an apartment fighting over one bathroom. My kids have never had to share a bathroom, let alone a bedroom.

I'm asking everyone to let this one go... I'm only being a good parent. I'm a great father and everyone who knows me, knows this is true.

With all my love,
Teddy Riley

blahh

I can't believe TMZ seemed to miss this, seeing as they get into every detail of Michael Jackson's life, but Teddy Riley was the co-producer on MJ's Dangerous album and is still a close family friend to the Jackson Family.

newengland2

Lets face it, ALL PARENTS spoil their Children rotten, weather RICH or POOR, we all want our Children to have more than we had or more than the Children next door have!!!. It is not the Kids that are to blame it is us Parents. We are living in our own world NOT IN THE REAL WORLD!!!!! , It's about time we started acting like REAL PARENTS and not always trying to IMPRESS!!!!!

lenabenas21

I didn't see his tweets but his bad for putting his biz out there like that. I have worked since I was 16, NEVER had my own bedroom and my husband was the same way - our life today is GREAT, we are blessed with great jobs, a wonderful home and so are our kids. When we were kids we had such a great appreciation for what little we had, I really mean that. OUr kids are so spoiled and entitled - they have everything WE/THEY ever wanted and I really wish that we had realized just because you CAN give it to them doesn't mean you SHOULD before we got to this point. I relate!!! Spoiled kids need a reality check from time to time but not a beat down.

Martin

Ben

Some of you all want to go and turn your back on this man, this is just another of what we have seen before. TMZ STILL has not given this man his proper introduction. Teddy Riley is NOT just some black singer from the past, he is one of the most POWERFUL music producers in the world. Do you know who this man has worked with TMZ, I know you do. "Silver glove" anyone? Besides that I honestly do believe Teddy's statement. In a way, he probably did discipline his kids, but only to give them a reality check that so many spoiled rich kids growing up in LaLa land NEED. The chick was probably stupid enough to wack herself with a glass bottle or something and run to the police to overdramatize everything. It's Hollywood, there aren't too many sane people down there. But on the other hand, I do agree that it was stupid on Teddy's behalf to tweet about the whole situation after the fact. That is just like saying he is "begging" for legal attention, opening a floodgate for people to take his words and twist them and create daggers against his whole reputation. Not a smart move buy the frontman of legendary New Jack Swing Group "Guy"/ Hit 90s R&B Group member of "Blackstreet,"/ Legendary producer of artists Michael and Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown, Robin Thicke, and even Lady Gaga. There you go TMZ, I did your homework, now where is my check.

VaBeachsFinest

I'm from Va beach and I know LOTS about Teddy's butt. However, those are his kids and if he felt the need to lay the smack down then so be it. And his daughters are the biggest brats, just so conceited and spoiled. TRUST ME! They aren't nice girls, not totally innocent "victims". I pose this question, "who has kids?" Hmmm if I disrespected my mother or any of her friends even at my age now She'd check me. I'm tired of society acting like every disciplinary act is violence. Teddy's problem is he waited too late. Everyone with children take heed and set your kids straight at an early age or you may be like Teddy!

slap them again!

The little monsters need to be put out on their own!

shuffler

Teddy, let me just say I respect you as a producer/ musician, and have for years. I understand where you are coming from regarding discipline, too.

But I'm not sure what to think about those posts on Twitter, apparently coming from you & pretty much admitting to hitting her.

If you could clarify that, that would be great.
Love, shuffler.

LJ

WAY TO GO. American kids need some discipline time to time. Good job. Tell them to get a job and don't give them anymore money.

Jada

After reading the majority of these comments, I have something to say. Unless we were there when this incident occurred, NOBODY can say who was in the right or wrong in this. I wasn't there, so I'm not gonna say if Teddy was right or if his daughters were right. Both parties can say completely different things about the matter. Regardless of who is right, I can't say anything about it because I wasn't there. I think that's what should be said here.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4