KFC Ad -- OK for Australia, Racist for US?

1/6/2010 2:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Placating a crowd of black people with a bucket of chicken is considered good marketing by Kentucky Fried Chicken in Australia -- but it's causing a bit of a fervor here in the States.

The ad shows a very distressed white guy, surrounded by a crowd of black people at a cricket match, who wonders, "Need a tip when you're stuck in an awkward situation?" He gets out of the "awkward situation" by handing them a bucket of chicken.

A rep for KFC Australia told a local paper, "It is a light-hearted reference to the West Indian cricket team ... The ad was reproduced online in the US without KFC's permission, where we are told a culturally-based stereotype exists, leading to the incorrect assertion of racism."

UPDATE -- We just got this statement: "KFC Australia is removing the television advertisement that was being run in conjunction with the Australian cricket season. We apologize for any misinterpretation of the ad as it was not meant to offend anyone."

Better Than You

Brett 80,

If you hate Americans so much, please get off this site, which is totally American made, thank you very much.

DamoInOz

How is it racist to African-Americans if the ad features West Indies cricket fans? Even the simplest person can see that the ad has nothing to do with race - its about team spirit from both sides.

Do Australians complain about every sterotype perpetuated by the American media about our country? No...we take it in our stride, have a laugh and move on.

The fact that a fast food ad from Australia targeted at one of our proudest past-times is making news in the US proves that its a slow news day...taking something that has nothing to do with with America and making it ALL about them. It's easy to blast something if you don't know the context - which is the downside to YouTube.

Simple fact is KFC has its own business in the US, and would never do anything to jeopardise its interests there. If anyone had thought this could be construed as racist, it wouldn't have gone to air. So let's just except it as a humourous commercial from Australia with no ill-intent, and look for a real issue.

(PS - Im not anti-American - I love the US and want to visit...its just this story that is rediculous)

Steve

YES! its TOTALLY racist and Im offended!! Theres only one good decent white guy in it! RACISM RACISM RACISM!!

UGH

well..since osama was elected everything is racist. get a life dumbasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiona

The man is at a cricket match, I assume there may be one or two Americans who may be able to muster up the intelligence to google the sport, as I'm guessing you are unaware of what it is.
Australians don't need to assume everything is racist, as it is not the problem it is made out to be. Obviously the opposite of the situation in the US, who scream bloody murder at everything.
It is funny, however I guess if it's not spelt out for Americans they don't get it.

dave

The only people that find it racist are hypocritical racist liberals. Go figure

eric reza

why its racist is why does he say caught in an awkard situations...being surronded by black people is award?..thats racist

dave

The only thing racist about it is that there isn't more than one white person in the commercial

shuffler

The only thing wrong with this ad is that the corporation sells dead chickens - who don't exactly treat their commodity with respect while it's living.

Pamela Anderson, take it from here.

(I'm glad I care about what goes into my body)

Sandra

The "black people loves chicken" stereotype doesn't exist in Australia, only America. So there's nothing racist about the ad.

Spellchamp

81. Contrary to popular beliefs, not all black people love fried chicken or watermelon as some of the respondents seem to think. What you don't consider racist is considered racists by others considering the response. Why does Obama's name always come up when there's something considered racist mentioned? That right there shows racism is alive and well in this country. Frankly, I could care less about anything happening in Australia! If you don't like my opinion....eat me!

Posted at 2:44PM on Jan 6th 2010 by Julia

Hmmmm.... Well, Julia, why don't you start by telling me what you look like!

LOL!

AQ

Once again another example of the US thinking that everything should be done according to what we believe. No, this is clearly not racist in the context in which it was shown. We don't have cricket here but then again, none of the sports we play truly are world sports unlike say, the rest of the world! How sad it is that America has isolated itself that we have allowed the rest of the world to give up and move on without us. And most Americans still haven't figured that out!!! Would like to point out that we are the ONLY major country without a national healthcare plan as well - how pathetic.

I BE DARNELL

I`M LOVIN IT DAWG!

vhope

Are you kidding me? Of course that's racist...what was so awkward for the white guy, being around so many black people? And I guess we all know a good way to calm those savages is to give them some good ol' fried chicken! I think people should call it what it is...
If that commercial appeared on Saturday Night Live or other comedy show as a skit, I could see the humor, BUT this is a TV ad--come on. Too bad the guy didn't offer them some watermelon, red soda, and offer to play some rap music on a ghetto blaster.

Beth C.

He's not the only white man there. I noticed the shirt color more than skin color myself. Definitely get the message that he sat in the wrong section, but because of team not skin color.