Taxpayer Revolt Over Michael Jackson Memorial

1/6/2010 4:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson MemorialAn alleged do-gooder has filed a creditor's claim against the Michael Jackson estate, on behalf of the City of Angels.

Jose Freddie Vallejos claims it was illegal for Los Angeles city fathers to underwrite the Michael Jackson memorial last July to the tune of $3.3 million.

Vallejos claims the memorial benefited the estate so the estate should pay the full bill.

He filed the claim as a taxpayer for the City of L.A.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Nancy Sykes

MJ did more for humanity than any other human being. Why don't you have T. Sneddon pay for it. He wasted millions of taxpayers money back in 1993 and again in 2005. MJ deserved this memorial without having to pay for it.

me

I agree! Why the hell should I pay for that circus?

Eileen

Right on! Why should LA flip the bill? The family can more than afford it!

JLS

billyho613

alex

have to admit that tax dollars going towards that show seems odd considering the state of california's budgetary woes.

j.s.

If that's true then yes by all means the Jackson family should pay.

They were in it for the money

At least someone is calling LA out on this farce! Next I'd like to see a total recall of the Mayors office begining with the mayor; going off on AEG's dime to vacation.

Citizenland

some "do gooder"?? A state that had to give IOU's to its citizens for tax returns should be footing the bill for a Jackson memorial? This has nothing to do with liking or not liking Jackson, its about common sense. There are people in and around even LA living at sub-poverty levels and having the city/state shell out 3+ million is a slap in the face to the working class who make the state of Cali run.

Ana

I'd like to see this guy demand that the illegal residents of Los Angeles leave the city. Michael Jackson was a taxpayer also, not to mention a legal U.S. citizen.

DS

No, JLS...Michael Jackson was a CITIZEN of the CITY OF SANTA BARBARA.

Additionally, why should I have to pay for a function held by a private party?

One thing you CAN thank the city for...they now have to pay for ANY citizen's funeral or memorial up to the same cost and degree. THANKS, LOS ANGELES.

Hmmm

I can assume it was private monies that were used to underwrite the gold casket, the various and sundry decorations such as matching suits for the pallbearers the media run up, the media fall out... If this is the spectacle that he would want his mourners to experience, then his estate should pay for it... you can't take it with you!

numbskull

JLS, he lived in Beverly Hills which is a separate city from LA and who they heck knows where and if he paid taxes to; Bahrain, Santa Barbara . . . While they are laying off teachers, we should not subsidize the Jacksons.

shuffler

I'd really love to see receipts for that 3.3 million claim.

Missy

3. Jose! Michael was a CITIZEN of the City of Los Angeles just like you and I are. Therefore, some services, no matter the extent, are appropriate. I hope your legal bills from this farse are epic. Shame on you!

Posted at 2:44PM on Jan 6th 2010 by JLS