Dick Van Patten Hits Race Track After Car Crash

1/15/2010 7:12 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Dick Van Patten got into a pretty nasty car accident in Los Angeles the other day -- but was so determined to get to a horse race, he rolled out before exchanging info with the other driver!

Dick Van Patten Hits Race Track After Car Crash
TMZ has learned the "Eight is Enough" star t-boned another car in his BMW (top) in the San Fernando Valley Wednesday afternoon -- but after the run-in, he couldn't find the other driver ... so he took off to the Santa Anita race track.

Turns out the woman in the other car pulled into a nearby gas station and called the police -- who then couldn't locate Van Patten.

Luckily, Dick's son showed up and smoothed things out with the cops, who were thisclose to calling the situation a hit-and-run. Police later interviewed Dick, and decided not to file charges -- allowing the two drivers' insurance companies to take it from there.

Jeff Ballard, Dick's rep, tells TMZ, "The only time Dick Van Patten runs is down the stretch at the race track when his horses are winning."

FYI -- On Wednesday, Van Patten's horse lost.

Dix Handley

This has to be one of the most funny stories this 2010. DVP is suffering from dementia. I can hear him bolting from the car, "I gotta get to the track."

Simone

FIrst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simone

Very important news!!!!!!!!!!! Come on, guys!!!!!!! You can do better than this!!!!!!!!!! Hahahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahaha.

Simone

Number 4, are you serious????!!!!!! I don't think so. Hahahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahhaha.

chris

who?

Simone

I refuse to help the people of Haiti, I have to be first here all the time, and helping people takes away form that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

susieq

Obviously Simone ranks herself right up there with all the rest of these morons. Like anybody takes your comments seriously. Attention seeking is never pretty, Simone. You have some serious insecurity issues and you come off as a skank and an idiot. Go away.

Fan

Celebrity justice once again. That is, they walk free of charges.

Van Patten illegally left the scene of an accident, no other way to look at it. I guess he returned just in time to allow the authorities to kiss his celebrity ass? Give me a break.

Maggie

This sad senile old fart is 82, they need to take his license away, obviously he is incapable of rational thought and has no place behind a wheel!

susieq

Why is nobody paying attention to meeeee???!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

Now that's a good racing fan.

Mike S

How dare you call him senile and a fart? How awful you must be. **** Van Patten is one of the nicest, most kind natured people I've ever seen or known in my life. You could only dream to be the kind of person he is, I'm sure. Don't be jealous, it does you no good.