'Deadliest Catch' Capt. Undergoes 12 Hr. Surgery

2/1/2010 5:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Phil HarrisPhil Harris -- the captain of the F/V Cornelia Marie on "Deadliest Catch" -- underwent a 12-hour emergency surgery last night ... and was put in a medically induced coma.

Harris suffered a stroke on Friday and was rushed to the hospital. According to a source close to the family, doctors put Harris in a coma to reduce brain swelling after the surgery.

We're told his sons Jake and Josh -- who are both deckhands on the F/V Cornelia Marie -- plan to speak with doctors today. The F/V Cornelia Marie is currently back out at sea -- minus Harris and his two sons.

Harris was off-loading his boat when the stroke hit and he was immediately airlifted to an Anchorage hospital -- where a Discovery rep says Harris "is resting comfortably and is in the care of excellent doctors and nurses."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

BDillahay

Captain Phil
Although I never met you
You were like a friend to me
I watched you every week
Battle the great sea
But God has called you home
To sail on seas as smooth as glass
We will miss you, Captain Phil,
But you reached your port at last
Your sons will carry on
Your wonderful legacy,
But you will be greatly missed,
Especially by the sea

ilove95037

Poor guy... I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hope he gets better soon.

zoootsuit

I really hope he recovers fully, he's my favorite captain on Deadliest Catch.

Emmanuel

He had a blood clot problem a few seasons ago. On clot passed through his lungs, WOW

Kevin Chard

Best of luck Phil thoughts and praise with you and your family. Get well so you can start fishing again.......

LA

Get well soon, Phil! You are the most crotchety old man on the show and the funnest to watch....even when you yell at your sons for not holding their own on the deck!-D

Chris X

Phil - my thoughts and prayers are with you and since I am older than you, I will nag - please pull through - you are the best guy, set the best example as a dad and captain and quit smoking, drinking all that coffee and take care of yourself. Between your ship and the crew of the Time Bandit, you are examples of real men.

Who-Dey

Get well soon, Big Man.

KICK ROCKS

WAS HE SMOKING WHEN THIS HAPPEN?
I HOPE HIS KIDS DON'T HAVE THAT BAD HABIT.....

Rob R Barron

I want to wish the guy best of luck...he's one of my favs on that show, but the guy was a walking poster boy for stroke with his temper etc...Get well soon and learn to relax man!

vane

I hope he gets well and makes a full recovery. Best wishes to his family too. Guys on the boat must really miss him too.

Darlene

Wishing you the best care, get well soon!!

Death

Keep smoking, Phil. You can't avoid me forever.

atlantaseabreeze

Ouch!! Sounds like he had a bleed, and they tried to surgically repair it. Very bad mortality rate unfortunately. I see no fishing in his future-sorry! Prayers are with his family.

ashleymay100

Lots of love, Phil, hope you recover 100%.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments