Brittany Murphy Death - 'Preventable'

2/4/2010 3:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany Murphy's Cause of DeathSources involved in Brittany Murphy's autopsy tell TMZ her death was "preventable."

Sources say the primary causes of Murphy's death were pneumonia and severe anemia. L.A. County Coroner officials believe Brittany's condition was "treatable" but no one took her to the hospital in time.

As for the multiple drugs found in her system, we're told they were both prescription, including medicine for cramps, and over-the-counter medications, including cough syrup. Our sources say the drugs "pushed her over the line" but the underlying problems were the pneumonia and anemia.

In other words, Brittany was really sick, didn't get treatment and by self-medicating it pushed her over the line.

Brittany Murphy

gutsygirl

Sadly, her mom will live with those words; preventable.

RRRRRRRRRRRRR

I wonder if she was a vegan like so many are, in Hollywood. While this is trendy, and tends to keep you thin, it is not always healthy. People need protein in their diets. It is possible to get protein from other sources, but it is difficult. She was skeletal, malnourished an unable to fight off the pneumonia. That girl needed a burger!

I'dTapThat

Anemia is a decrease in the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin in the blood. I was diagnosed with anemia as a child, so no, it's not something that isn't diagnosed until people get older, and it's fairly common in women (about 1 in every 5 women in the US is anemic), particularly during pregnancy. It's treated with iron supplements and perhaps diet modification, and it is NOT life-threatening. For someone's cause of death to be attributed in part to anemia, they have to have underlying issues. It is not only possible but very likely that someone who is severely anorexic is also severely anemic.

TM8

There are some seriously ignorant people in this world. Glad to see a few of them here on this post. Thank you to those of you who knew what anemia was and posted. My mother is anemic. She was born without iron and B-12 in her blood and had to have a blood transfusion and now has weekly injections. I am anemic also. It's not fun. You feel confused, irritable, fatigued, really dizzy, etc.

There is no such thing as reality tv

It is sad to say, but Brittany was another celeb starving herself to death, and self-medicating. Hollywood needs a reality check, because they are losing too many people due to drugs.

Debbie

So, Briney dies because she DOESN'T go to the doctor...and Michael Jackson dies becuase he DOES go to the doctor. Seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't

ralph

Didn't really see a smoking gun. She was sick and took a lot of medicines. But how about a few clear statements on what caused her heart to stop and disallowed her resusciatation?

Clinton

Yeah, drugs weren't the primary cause. They were just "delivered" every friday in a large envelope labelled "Lola." this was her lifestyle, as is normal for the "stars" in Hollywood, and caused her death. Otherwise, she'd have just had pneumonia and gotten over it like the rest of us. Very obviously, she had a depressed immune system derived from the abuse. So much for the image-spinning white-wash.

L Gene Bartlett

Lots of naive people who think a weekly manila package of prescription drugs delivered to her front door for Lola is secondary cause of death, how about pneumonia & anemia secondary to drug abuse and overdose = death. Ask MJ, Elvis, Britney etc. etc. etc. if they agree, to late!

stonecold

I would venture to say ALL deaths are preventable, except for old age.

Dan

I love how TMZ keeps the facts away from telling a good story. This morning when they first published the story, they made it sound like she was on a coke & meth bender. Leave this poor woman alone.

adonna

Quick, someone file a lawsuit against her husband! His negligence in failing to get her medical attention has robbed society of the thousands of movies Murphy would have made over her life.

wPAguy

It's a shame this happened to Brittany. She was talented, beautiful and too young to die. However, let's face it; her decision to "self-mediate" was a bad choice.

I'm most upset with the douche bag husband and her mother. Foremost, Brittany's mother should have guided her to help or into a situation where she could get help. I suspect this didn't happen because the mother is having her own "self-medication" problems. The path her husband is on, media whoring, tells me that he's unashamed of flaunting his narcotic-ridden ass in public and has no remorse for his part in her untimely death.

Both of them need to fall out of the public eye (get some therapy)and deal with their loss in a way that's not disgraceful to the memory of Brittany.

RIP Brittany. I don't idolize your decisions, but I do have a great respect for your talent and brief life.

Lauren

I caught pnemonia in 2004 and almost died. The only reason that I didn't die is because I had called my mother and told her that I had the flu and was going to take some theraflu and get some rest. She called me the next day to check on me and I was speaking jibberish. She left work and came to my house and rushed me to the hospital and the nurse took my termerature and it was 112. She ran to get the doctor and not even two minutes later when the doctor came it was 115 and going up. My chest had filled up with fluid and was completely dehydrated. I got sick on a Sunday and this happened Wednesday. It happens so quickly.

Miranda

Everyone...read FURTHER...She didn't just die og Phemonia..she tied of DRUG TOXICITY....Go to Radar.com..the drugs it says CAUSED her medical condition...she didn't ahve to die...but teh drugs made her ill....read the info.,,