'Deadliest Catch' Captain -- No More Tubes

2/6/2010 2:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Captain Phil Harris, the badass star of "Deadliest Catch," is making serious progress in his recovery from last week's stroke -- dude is finally breathing on his own.

According to a source close to the family, doctors are "extremely impressed" with Harris' progress.

Harris had been using breathing tubes to help circulate oxygen through his body since he went down while unloading crabs from the F/V Cornelia Marie -- but we're told as of Friday, the tubes have all been removed.

We're told Harris is also regaining feeling in the left side of his body -- which had gone numb after the stroke. His motor skills are also returning to normal. Perhaps the best sign -- Harris has been talking a lot lately ... even dropping a few of his trademark cuss bombs here and there.

We're told Harris and his family have been continuously charting a recovery course with doctors and he hopes to get home ASAP.

Laura

Love Phil and glad he's doing better, but him speaking a lot has nothing to do with his stroke recovery. If his left side is weak/paralyzed his speech would not have been affected-just maybe some personality traits could be different.

The most important thing for him now is to get some intense phyical & occupational therapy.

Gina

the best news I have heard all week. love ya Phil.

Tina

I know people who've had multiple strokes. Their brains are practically mush and they're still puffing away. He won't quit smoking. These people don't get the connection and even if they did the addiciton is too strong.

melissa

Maybe this will get him to stop smoking cause the blood clot in his lungs didnt get him to stop.... If he keeps smoking his health problems are just going to get worse.... My prayers are with him and his family and for a speedy recovery....

KAP

Knew the ol' coot was too tough to bail on the crabbing season. Love the show, love the men, wish nothing but the best to all of them, and a LONG and JOYFUL life to my favorite Captain...

Jessica

Hugs and kisses to the Harris family. I've been praying for a full and speedy recovery.
Stay strong, you guys ROCK!

Danielle

Yaay captain Phil so glad he's pulling through! Hes the best!

Steve

I hope the best for the guy but I just don't see him retiring to a rocking chair on the porch. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get back in the captain chair, smoking, eating poorly and barking out orders. That's who he is. He'll probably die on that boat one day with a Marlboro in his hand.

dani

Not that you are reading this but, our prayers are with you, Phil. Love ya and God Bless you and your family always!

dani

Hey, to all of those who say Phil will never quit smoking, you might be surprised.

Hell, if I can do it for 1 year 4 months, 2 weeks and counting.... then Phil can too! Trust me. I didn't have a choice. It was DIE or QUIT and I couldn't even inhale anymore to smoke. It MADE me quit and it CAN make Phil quit too. Never under estimate anyone and their quitting smoking. We are all being told it's SOO HARD but, if you can't inhale anymore without coughing up a lung, it WILL make you quit, evetually, and I think, this might be the wake up call Phil needs. If not, then more power to him. Wish I could still smoke but, after this long, what's the point?!?! He may get there! I hope he gets there! Then again, he may die for other reasons, I hope he lives a ling life for his family who so loves him so.

hateliars

kat-used to have patients like that in the hospital, when they were finally on the way to recovery, 'can my sons wheel me out for a smoke? why not, why not, why not?' I can tell you right now, he is not even thinking about a smoke... his physical addiction will be gone-personally, I was in ICU from an accident, don't even think about it.. BUT that psychological addiction.... well, that takes a LONG time to break, that is what will make him light up after leaving the hospital. like those commercials, when you drink, you smoke...

dani

bmhurts

------------
You are right! I hope no one will give him one or stop and get him any on the way home. But then again, all that cussing he's fixin' to do?!?!?!?

dm

So glad hes doing well. Ive watched that show since it started. I feel like i know him. Cant wait for the new season

Highlander

Every time we saw him on the show he was smoking (listen to his voice) and he is overweight. An accident waiting to happen. Hope he drops some weight and stops smoking. He has to be careful with what he eats because when people quit smoking they often pick up another addiction like eating. Good luck and my prayers are with him. He seems like a good guy.

Nick

We love ya, Phil! Get well! Deadliest Catch crews and camera team are bad asses!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments