Ziggy Marley -- What's In a Name?

2/11/2010 5:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

He was born David Nesta Marley, but the origin behind the name he's more commonly known as, Ziggy, is shrouded in mystery -- and he ain't helping clear things up.

Ziggy Marley: Click to watch
"Ziggy" is supposedly father Bob's childhood nickname ... but other rumors say it's a Mary Jane reference, just another term for a spliff.

We tried smoking it out of him yesterday in L.A. -- but he was more interested the etymology of something else.

MadonnaAct2

I'm 1st. Whoo Hoo

shawn

Harvey. Harvey, Harvey!!!! Damn man, I'm from Oz(Australia) and even I know the answer to that one!!! Ok, let me break it down for you- Ziggy, yes you're right by the reference to "Zig-Zag" that is correct. He(Ziggy)like many middle to low class Jamaican kids love and play Soccer!!!! YEP- beleive it or not the term Ziggy means that you can play Soccer really well as you can zig-zag your way round the field and score a goal!!! I hope this helps the team. Love watching you guys everyday!!! Nice format.Great Show. Oh and if you need a correspondant in Oz I'd be happy to apply for the position. Cheers guys.

420

SM0KE WEED EVERY DAY

phillip

Shawn is correct. Ziggy Marley got the name Ziggy because as a soccer player he was very good at weaving his way through defenders while constantly changing direction. Zig Zag means to constantly change direction while moving.

RAS CARDO REGGAE

Well well, I am one of the few persons today who can tell you where the name Ziggy came from because I was the one who made that name to which Bob Marley gave his son Ziggy Marley in trench town when we were living there. If you really want to know the truth then you will contact I and I and know these truths. There is a whole lot to that name and only I can tell you in this time.
Let me tell you also that it has nothing to do with smoking weed and making spliff. Ziggy himself do not know this so how can he tell you. I await your response. I am Ras Cardo-Reggae creator/legend from trench town. Tell the people the truth.Respect.

Melissa

Saw Ziggy last Summer, and I believe a mandatory Ziggy marley show once a week might just solve all the world's problems!!! Oh yeah, the weed helps too :)

anasakrana

The Aussie dude is right.. the name Ziggy does refer to soccer skills. I was told this by the tour guide at the Bob Marley house. He was a former employee of the Marley family.

anasakrana

@ RAS CARDO REGGAE... RESPECT!!!!!