Brittany Murphy Foundation -- No Charity Here

2/14/2010 1:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Brittany Murphy Foundation is a foundation in name alone -- because according to state and federal records, it does not exist.

Brittany Murphy Foundation

The foundation -- launched by Brittany's widower Simon Monjack and her mom Sharon Murphy -- has been touted as a charity dedicated to arts education for children, and has been soliciting funds through a website since last month.

TMZ has discovered, however, the foundation is not registered as a charity with the IRS or the state of California, as required by law.

The California Secretary of State's office told TMZ there are no records for The Brittany Murphy Foundation. The state Attorney General's office also has no record of the organization as a nonprofit group -- and the IRS says the foundation has not filed for a non-profit license.

By law, any foundation soliciting money has to disclose the fact that it is not registered as a nonprofit.

On Friday afternoon, the Brittany Murphy foundation website did not have any such disclosure. The site was taken "down for maintenance" one hour after TMZ called the foundation for comment.

The foundation spokeswoman at Larkin Rivero Management -- where donations were directed to be mailed -- had no comment.

Monjack did not respond to our e-mail.

the brittany murphy foundation

Eric

blow it out you're arse

Lisa

I knew Simon was weird. So, I wonder if any money given to the "charity" is really going in their pockets. If so..what a disgrace using Brittanys name for that!

wtf

Yes, I'm sure it's the conspiracy you've painted it out to be and not an administrative error. I'm sure her mother and husband would publicly advertise and attach their names to this if it wasn't on the up and up, knowing the hounds like TMZ would instantly be on their asses because the media has questioned and persecuted them from Day One.

Nice work, detectives.

Rebecca

damn, both her mom and husband using her like this after she died?? no wonder this happened, she was surrounded by the worst people

Stating the Obvious

You DO realize that one does not acquire a 501(c)3 overnight? And, you do realize that maybe they could have been anxious to get it started and just have to wait it out on the paperwork. And you DO realize that they could have filed under another name and the Brittany Murphy Foundation is an assumed name.

Right? You "detectives" know all this, right?

It doesn't mean it's on the up and up, but there is a WHOLE lot more that COULD be going on, with honest intentions, and you guys are IDIOTS for assuming otherwise until you actually have the facts.

Sheesh.

Kind of like the illegal drugs you PRESUMED, or ...even better... that "killer pic" of JFK you had, right? Post and accuse before you even know what you are dealing with.

Dirt Burger

For the good of the country I think it's time Simon get deported! He has nothing to offer us but scams and his saggy man boobs.

Mickey von Dutch

@#6: In that case they should have waited until the necessary paper work was in, in order to avoid being taken for vultures. Because if they did try to make money of her death, it would be beyond appalling.

decompressu

That Monjack!
Once again I smell a rat. It's very easy to apply for
non profit status.

Let's Chill

While I don't believe everything printed on this site, Simon does come across as very dishonest to me.

IDK, I'm just NOT having a hard time believing that he could have anything to do with scams or anything else that would include lying and stealing.

BTW, does anyone know what the results of Brittany's toxicoloy reports?

I know her mom and husband appeared on Larry King around the time they were supposed to have been completed blaming the 'Industry' for Brittany's death.

1LawRN

This guy reminds me of "greasy bear" and #8...I absolutely agree! Whats the hurry unless you need money. This guy doesn't look like he is has missed very many meals. He is just a creeper!

karma

Innocent until proven guilty. They did attach their names.

j

Why did Britt sign her house over to Simon and Simon alone in 08? It is time to stop giving both Sharon and Simon the grieving her loss card.If they are opening their mouths you better check the facts. Make your own op-ion from the exclusive articles and shows transcripts below. It does not take a sherlock Holmes to know their lying about the morning of her death. Not sure about TMZs other stories but they got Simon and prescription Mary down cold.

oh by the way,

I did know them as a couple and mommy script dearest personally

tmz:

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

us quoting tmz:

The notes state Murphy "had been complaining of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain" for 7 to 10 days prior to her death.
Around 7:30 a.m. Sunday, she went into the bathroom of her Hollywood Hills home and shut the door, according to the notes.
A half hour later Murphy's mother, Sharon, went to check on her daughter, opened the bathroom door and "discovered the descedent lying on the floor unresponsive," the notes read.
See Brittany Murphy's most unforgettable roles
According to the notes, Sharon yelled for help. Murphy's husband, British screenwriter Simon Monjack, who was in bed, ran to the bathroom.
The notes reveal that Sharon called 911 and Monjack "attempted to revive the descedent by placing her in the shower and running the water." But Murphy "remained unresponsive and purged her stomach contents prior to the arrival of the paramedics," according to the notes

FIRST PUBLISHED: December 21, 2009 5:28 PM EST

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Just one day after the death of Brittany Murphy, her husband Simon Monjack has spoken out exclusively to Access Hollywood about the untimely loss of his wife....... As far as what happened inside the actress’ home early Sunday, when Murphy was found unresponsive in the shower, Monjack said up to that point, it had just been “a regular day.”
“[Her mother] Sharon went into the bathroom because she had been in there a long time. Her mom screamed for me and I ran. Then called 911,” he revealed.
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a 911 call from the home at 8 AM on Sunday and eventually transported Murphy to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. She was pronounced dead at the facility at 10:04

exclusive daily beast:

Monjack described for the first time the morning that Brittany died in his Hollywood Hills house. She had gone to the bathroom shortly before 8 a.m. “That was her comfort zone in our very huge home,” he says. “It was the only Brittany-size room.” There was a small table, and she often spent hours there. When her mother went to talk to her, she found her laying on the floor unconscious, and yelled out for Simon.

this is larry king fri quote:

“What happened that day (she died) was Brittany had laryngitis. I have no idea what to do with laryngitis. I’m a rabbi, not a doctor, so I pray instead of prescribe. So I asked Sharon to come down. We’d been talking, anyway, half the night… We were planning to move to New York, have a baby… We were talking about baby names.
“I asked Sharon to come down and Sharon came down. Brittany, for the first time, was almost fighting for air. Her eyes were not right. They were darting off left, right and center.
“That morning she woke up (and) she couldn’t breathe. She went out to get some air. Sharon followed her out. I’ll say this, because I know you (Sharon) can’t. She said, ‘Mom, I’m dying. I love you.’”
Murphy’s mum Sharon adds, “From when she collapsed, I was with her in the bathroom. And I was sitting across from her with her little puppy, Clara. And she said, ‘Mommy, please hug me.’ And I went to get up and she just collapsed like right there.”

NicoleRita

It is beyond obvious now that Brittany's mother and husband let her die, why is what I will enevr understand. When someone says "Mom, I'm dying, I love you" you call 911 immediately! Especially if they woke up struggling to breathe and their eyes were darting all over. In the Larry King interview her mom Sharon stated it was about an hour before she died that she said the above quote and Simon cut her off and said she was confused on the time. Give me a break, seriously. Brittany Murphy was amazing, a talented actress as well as singer. It was obvious to me what a wonderful person she was even without ever meeting her and not one person who knew her had a bad word to say about her. She truly was a ray of light and her light went out way too soon. Her death was preventable and the bottom line is noone helped her. How her mother and husband can live with themselves is beyond my comprehension. And how she ever married Simon Monjack will always remain a mystery to me, it makes no sense at all and never will. Her mother standing by and watching everything and doing nothing also will never make sense to me. We will never know what truly happened the day Brittany died and my heart breaks for her because noone helped her. But, I am glad she is out of the situation she was stuck in and finally able to rest in peace. God Bless you Brittany Murphy :*(

NicoleRita

Please ignore my typos, it is 4am :)

NicoleRita

BTW #13--I totally agree with you, it is downright sad...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments