Brittany Murphy Foundation Returns Donations

2/15/2010 4:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Brittany Murphy Foundation has re-opened its website after TMZ's story this weekend -- and promises to give back all the donations people made while it figures out that whole "we weren't really a charity" thing.

Brittany Murphy

TMZ broke the story that the foundation -- run by Brittany Murphy's husband, Simon Monjack and mother, Sharon Murphy -- hadn't filed the necessary documents to qualify as a charity or nonprofit group. As soon as we called the foundation for comment, the website immediately shut down.

But late Sunday the website resurfaced with a message: It would return all the donations "until we have our non-profit status approved before proceeding to insure that we can truly honor Brittany's charitable desires."

The website is no longer taking donations and now holds itself out as a private foundation which awaits 501(c)3 non-profit status.

Remembering Brittany Murphy

London not England

FIRT-A-ALL:

WHY DOES THIS DEAD BITCH NEED MY MONEY$$?!?!?!

These Hollywood stars make MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY than ANYONE should...How much residuals was that bitch getting for "CLUELESS"?!?!
And I'm supposed to reach into my 27K a year before taxes-pockets to pay for her lavish life/death style?!?!?!! I-DUNNA-TINK SOOOOO........
R.I.P Baby, but you're NOT scamming ME from the Grave....

DalTXJim

TMZ: For your information, it takes 3-5 MONTHS for a non-profit to be approved by the IRS. I choose to beleive they were doing what they said, which was, to start up the foundation as quickly as possible. When approved as a 501c3, the IRS approval is back-dated TO THE DATE THE CHARITY opened. There are many other ways to operate a scam on the public for money, this wasn't one. You are always so quick to judge a story and make it a negative, when there are underlying reasons why a timeline has occured the way it has. But that wouldn't make headlines, would it?

rahma

it's true though. white people are scammers and super lazy. There are more white people on welfare than any other race. That should tell you something. All my white friends do not have degrees; they just sit on their butts and leach off their parents while my asian/black friends are out their getting their degrees with honors.

YO

I DO NOT TRUST HIM OR HER MOM...I THINK THEY HAVE SOME PART IN HER DEATH WITH ALL THE DRUGS THEY FOUND IN THE HOUSE...I THINK THEM 2 ARE HAVING A THING GOING ON BEHIND CLOSE DOORS...I SAW THEM ON COUPLE OF TALK SHOWS & JUST THE WAY THEY WERE ACTING....THEY WILL GET THEIR DAY & BEING CAUGHT IN OTHER THINGS...

valeskas

I believe in my heart, that she still be alive, if she never met her husband. She hardly ate, before she was healthier. I always believed he was a cro*k and continue to do so. Please let her rest in peace.

Lisa

I was the 2nd comment in the orginal story TMZ put up and I said it was a scam. And people backlashed saying it wasn't..How dare us think that..Maybe they wanted to start it early b/c it takes 6 months to get it rolling.....
Yeah well now look..THEY GOT CAUGHT!!
"After some thought" {you mean after you got caught}..
"With plans to apply for non-profit" .... When was that going to happen...years from now when you guys spent the money!

rukiddingme

I DON'T THINK HER MOTHER AND HUBBY KILLED HER BUT I DO FIND IT ODD THAT NEITHER ONE INSISTED SHE GET TO A HOSPITAL AS ILL AS SHE WAS! HERE'S ONE FOR THE BOOKS...THE GRIEVING HUBBY AND MOTHER APPEAR ON LARRY KING AND TALK ABOUT HOW THEY SLEEP IN THE SAME BED SO THEY CAN HOLD ONE ANOTHER TO EASE THE PAIN. NOW THE MOM WANTS TO SELL THE HOUSE AND PURCHASE ANOTHER WHERE THEY CAN BOTH LIVE. HE CALLS HER BABY---SHE CALLS HIM SWEETIE---I CALL IT SICK!

Stephen

TMZ, find out if the Farrah Fawcett Foundation is for real or not. I wouldn't trust RYAN ONEAL or ALANA STEWART

Annie

Waaaayy to go TMZ!! You guys should start a show called "BUSTED"!!

carolyn

They used the wrong spelling in the story of a word. It should be "ensure" not "insure".

missme

#66, when I read the article about Monjack selling photos of himself and Sharon Murphy consoling each other over the death of Brittany for $40,000.00, I wondered how exactly are they posing in these photographs. After reading your comment, I am sure they are in bed holding each other. No matter how you look at it, this is not normal behavior to pose for the camera like this and think someone would pay for this trash, let alone,$40,000.00. I would not pay $4.00.

If they want to spend time together in bed, doing whatever, that is there business, and they should keep these details private instead of sharing all of their bizarre coping methods with the media. What they are doing is so shameful to Brittany's memory. Although, all of this may be happening for a reason, to expose the truth if there is any wrong doing involved in Brittany's death.

April

THEY ARE SOOOO SLEEPING TOGETHER....What comes around goes around!!!

chicken head

I better get my $5 back SOON!!

Bobby

anything to do with simon monjak is a scam absolutely no doubt he is trying to make money off the death he caused her.

Bobby

not for profit can take up to a year or more and have to prove where there money has been used and provide tons of data. wikipedia ---Often these programs, services and policies are overlooked and not otherwise executed or enforced by the government. While they are able to earn a surplus, more accurately called a profit, such earnings must be retained by the organization for its self-preservation, expansion and future plans. Earnings may not benefit individuals or stake-holders.[3] While some nonprofit organizations put substantial funds into hiring and rewarding their internal corporate leadership, middle-management personnel and workers, others employ unpaid volunteers and even executives may work for no compensation. However, since the late 1980s there has been a growing consensus that nonprofits can achieve their corporate targets more effectively by using some of the same methods developed in for-profit enterprises. These include effective internal management, ensuring accountability for results, and monitoring the performance of different divisions or projects in order to better benefit from their capital and workers. Those require satisfied management and that, in turn, begins with the organization's mission.[4]

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments