The 'Lost' Diary -- The Substitute

2/17/2010 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

LostDaniel from TMZ here, welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

You know that bar game where you have to stare at two pictures and touch the screen whenever you spot a difference? I think that's what this season of "Lost" is like. One minute you're yelling "Hey, Desmond isn't supposed to be on the plane" and the next week you're screaming "Claire's sonogram says October but it's supposed to be September!" What will we spot this week?

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I swore to myself I was going to watch "Lost" at a different place each week, but every other place is far and Ari lives five blocks away. So here we are. Let's roll.

9:00 -- I avoided promos and commercials all week, so the fact the "Previously on 'Lost'" section is Not Locke heavy has me very excited.

9:01 -- Don't tell John Locke he can't get out of a van! OK, maybe he can't, but still -- just don't tell him.

9:02 -- My jaw could not have dropped any further when I saw Helen. Is it possible alternate John Locke is ... *gasp* ... happy?

9:03 -- "And your dad ..." -- Helen. OK, now this is getting weird.

9:04 -- "Maybe it's destiny." -- Helen. Not gonna lie, we're four minutes in and it's getting a little dusty already. Locke-themed episodes never disappoint. (*knocking on wood)

9:05 -- Smokie Cam is making me a little nauseous.

9:06 -- "Alright, Richard. Time to talk." -- Not Locke

9:08 -- I love when even two-bit characters from three seasons ago show up again. How fast did the agent for "Randy" agree to do a cameo?

9:09 -- So apparently Locke "stole" his trip to Australia from his company. Not sure how he ever thought he'd get away with that one.

9:10 -- Richard just asked Not Locke what he meant when he said Locke was "a candidate." Is that the first time Richard asked someone else a question? Usually he's the man with all the answers.

9:11 -- "Come with me and I promise I'll tell you everything." Not Locke to Richard. That feels more like a Ben circa season four line. And who was the little Children of the Corn kid supposed to be?

9:12 -- Ben has had his testicles in Not Locke's purse so far this season, so watching him lie to Ilana is a step in the right direction toward getting them back.

9:13 -- If you could turn into a pillar of black smoke and fly around everywhere, would you ever walk?

9:18 -- "Here's to being dead." -- Sawyer

9:19 -- "What if I told you I was the person who could answer the most important question in the world?" -- Not Locke. Is someone finally going to tell us why Libby was in the mental institution?

9:22 -- Hurley and Locke just had their little meeting and ... dammit it's getting dusty in here again!

9:23 -- I want to get the inevitable Jin/Sun reunion out of the way soon. We all know it's coming, it's going to be great ... let's just do it already.

9:24 -- Now Not Locke is chasing the Children of the Corn threw the woods. Again, why wouldn't you just turn into smoke and chase the kid down? Not Locke is totally under-utilizing the whole Black Smoke Monster thing.

9:25 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do." -- Not Locke. Never gets old.

9:26 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do!" -- Not Locke. See? Never gets old. Oh, I am working under the assumption the Children of the Corn kid is Young Jacob till I am proven wrong.

9:29 -- Richard's warning was pretty concise, well-argued, and all around convincing -- but Sawyer is sticking with Not Locke because it makes for better television.

9:30 -- Locke wants to speak with the temp lady's "supervisor." Has to be someone we know, right? Juliet? Libby?

9:31 -- ROSE!!!!!!

9:31 -- OH NO!!! Rose still has cancer!!! There is no God!!!!

9:32 -- "A little after my time." -- Not Locke. There's a phrase you never hear.

9:33 -- As I am basking in the greatness of Terry O'Quinn, I can't help but think that odds are we will finish this episode, the third of the season, and only seen Desmond for like a minute. That better get corrected next week.

9:38 -- Sun, Ilana, Ben and Lawnmower Man are burying Locke. Ben is about to give his last words. Should be good ...

9:39 -- "He was a much better man than I'll ever be ... and I'm very sorry I murdered him." -- Ben. I just told Ari that when I die, he has to give that eulogy word for word.

9:40 -- Locke tries to call Jack, but gets cold feet.

9:43 -- Locke is explaining to Helen about getting denied on his walkabout.

9:44 -- "There are miracles, John. And the only thing I was waiting for ... was you." -- Helen

9:45 -- Not Locke starts climbing down the ladder and Sawyer follows shortly behind. Man you never would have gotten me to do that.

9:46 -- After a rejected scene from the movie "Cliffhanger," Sawyer and Not Locke make their way to some kind of cave.

9:47 -- "Inside joke." -- Not Locke. Throwing the light stone into the river, leaving the dark one behind.

9:48 -- So everyone's names are scratched into the ceiling? Interesting.

9:53 -- Locke as a high school science teacher -- I buy it.

9:54 -- I know that voice ...

9:55 -- "Ben Linus, European History." -- Ben

9:56 -- Jacob's list?

9:57 -- "Jacob had a thing for numbers." -- Not Locke. And not just any numbers ...

9:59 -- "Are you ready to go home?" -- Not Locke

10:00 -- "Hell yes." -- Sawyer, who is now Team Not Locke

One of my favorite things about "Lost" is that the show is "good" in different ways to different people. Depending on a lot of different factors -- who the flashbacks focus on, how many answers are given, whether or not Kate is soaking wet -- can influence your opinion of the show.

There have been plenty of times I have given an episode a high grade and been called crazy (or vice versa). Even though we all love the show, we all see different things in it and get our enjoyment different ways.

That being said, I woke up this morning (or rather was woken up by a text message. Thanks, Steven -- it's becoming a weekly tradition) and found myself texting, IMing and calling people to find out whether or not I was crazy.

"Last night's episode was awesome, right?"

I take my grades of "Lost" very seriously -- like a high school substitute science teacher. So, that all being said ... I give tonight's episode an A-.

I think if you love "Lost" when it's giving you a non-mythology story, you loved Locke's off-island scenes. If you love "Lost" to try and figure out WTF is going on, you loved Not Locke's scenes. To me, it was the perfect combination of everything I love about "Lost."

Doesn't hurt that I love Locke.

I am going to throw out a question here that I am not sure the answer of. Well, I am like 90% sure the answer is "no" -- but I am keeping drifting more and more towards "maybe" as I think about it. Here goes"

Are we sure -- like 100%, lock it down, no doubt about it sure -- the Man in Black/Smokie/Not Locke is really the bad guy here? Just asking.

Thinktank

Would someone please remind me who Helen is?

Robb Chadwick

I don't think "Not Locke" is necessarily evil; and I don't think Jacob is all good. I believe the two represent opposite sides of certain issues. It has crossed my mind that they are symbolic representations of Jehovah & Lucifer who in some religions disagreed about the role of human beings in the scheme of things. (That seems to describe their conversation while sitting together in an episode last year.) I think we may be quite surprised to learn that "Not Locke" has a better handle on things than Jacob.

Robyn Williams

If Jacob is the good guy and Not-Locke is the bad guy, who is Penny's Dad (I can't remember his name at the moment) - you know, he kept trying to get back to the island and overthrow Ben. Where does he fit in?

Robyn Williams

Mr. Whitmore - that was his name. Remembered it.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Why haven't Michael and Walt appeared yet? Shouldn't Walt still be on the island? What happened to the dog??

And I can't remember anything about Helen either.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Mr. Whitmore was Ben before Ben. Ben had him removed from the island to take over his role as leader.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

These writers are obviously very cleaver. They realize after last night's episode everyone is starting to doubt if Not Locke is really the good guy in all this, and Jacob is the baddie. I bet this is just a ploy to make us all believe this, and Jacob is really the good guy in the end. Like it's already been stated, the smoke monster has killed a ton of folks so far. How could you possibly justify that has "being good???"

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

This is starting to feel more and more like the end of the Matrix trilogy!!! Remember how that God awful final movie destroyed the entire series!?!?!?! I hope this isn't going to be the same thing!!

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Is Sun still pregnant???

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

If the rules are you can't kill them, then why has the smoke monster been able to kill some of them over the years???

So so

I think Richard is an angel or something. Esp since he never ages...

Lisa

Re: Helen Norwood.... Locke and Helen met at an anger-management support group they were both members of. After his outburst at the group about their whining, Helen approached Locke outside and told him that she appreciated his candor and shared his frustrations. She also flirted by telling him that she liked bald men - despite Locke not being bald she said that she was prepared to wait.

Their friendship moved to the bedroom fairly quickly and continued to blossom. During a meal at a restaurant, Helen gave Locke a key to her flat as a six-month anniversary present. She told him that she'd followed him and discovered that he was sneaking out at night to lurk outside his father's house. The gift of the key was given on the condition that he stopped going there, to which Locke agreed.

Despite his promise to stop, Locke continued to spend long periods in his car waiting outside Cooper's house. Helen followed him again and shunted her car into the back of his, stormed over to his window and snatched his keys from the ignition. She threw the keys over the security gates in the drive and implored him to give up on his obsession and take a "leap of faith" with her. Shortly after, Locke moved in with Helen. ("Orientation")

Locke eventually started making plans to propose to Helen over a romantic picnic. Unfortunately on the morning of the picnic Helen spotted Anthony Cooper's obituary in the newspaper and that the funeral was scheduled for that day. Helen accompanied Locke to the funeral to support him.

After the funeral, Cooper revealed to Locke that he was still alive and convinced him to participate in a criminal financial scheme in exchange for a share of the money. Locke's suspicious behavior and a run in with some crooks searching for Cooper led Helen to follow him again. She turned up at the motel where Locke was meeting Cooper to hand over the money. She demanded of Cooper: "Are you him?", slapped him and berated him for his treatment of Locke before leaving to go back to her car. Locke caught up with her in the parking lot outside and pleaded for forgiveness, went down on one knee and proposed. Helen shook her head and drove off. ("Lockdown")

After having crashed on the Island, during a brief moment of confusion after being knocked over by a boar, Locke shouted out at Kate, calling her "Helen." ("Walkabout")

On April 8, 2006, Helen died of an apparent brain aneurysm. She was buried in Santa Monica, California.

Jody

Does anybody even watch the show anymore!!!!

Love It

Does anyone notice that the "replacement" system on the island that Locke explains to Sawyer seems to be very similar to the replacement system of the hatch when they were punching the numbers? (Desmond was trapped and needed them to replace him, someone needed him before that, etc.) Wondering if there is going to be a metaphorical connection between the two. And the hatch did have a very good reason for needing the numbers punched, maybe the island really does need protection.

The backgammon connection I agree is really important. I went back and watched the episode in season one where the psychic tells Claire to take the flight and in the very beginning Claire has a dream where Locke has the pieces in his eyes - black in one, white in the other. He tells her that because she gave Aaron up everyone pays the price now (even though she hadn't at that point yet). He also has the same table cloth and lamp as the psychic did as he tells her this. Rewatching that episode got me thinking maybe Jacob could be bad bc I agree that he is connected with Aaron. Does anyone remember how the psychic freaked out about her pregnancy like she was carrying the spawn of Satan or something?

simone/beachlife - Kate learns to track from her step dad, who she thought was her real dad up until she found out her real dad was the guy beating her mom. Thats why she blew him up. There's an episode where she discloses she killed him more bc she hated that he was a part of her then bc of what he did to her mom. Her step dad used to take her hunting, she talks about it in the first season.

TO

When the child told not-locke that he can't kill him, I am pretty sure he was refering to all the canditates. This would explain why the Smoke monster killed Mr Eko, but didn't kill Locke.

There has been some mention that not-locke must be the bad guy because he has killed people as the smoke monster. But hasn't the others killed people and they are representatives of Jacob?

I am also thinking that Sun is a candidate and not Jin. When Sawyer left the temple they were very concerned about him not leaving and later getting him back. They weren't as concerned about Kate leaving to go get him, maybe because she is not on the list. They also didn't question Jin going with her. Could this be that they know that Jin will try to find Sun and bring her back to the Temple? Doesn anyone remember when Jacob was at their wedding if he touched one or both of them?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments