Fantasia Barrino

High Alert

After Hate Mail

2/20/2010 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia Barrino is under a self-imposed lockdown -- after the "American Idol" champ received a threatening letter.

It all started last night at the Pantages Theater in L.A. -- Fantasia was reading her fan mail after a performance of "The Color Purple."

Fantasia's manager tells us Barrino became alarmed over a disturbing letter loaded with racial slurs -- including the n-word -- and a line that read, "go back where you came from and die."

We're told the person who wrote the letter claims he used to work as a security guard for Fox while Fantasia was on "A.I."

Fantasia's manager tells us the singer immediately contacted theater security -- which then contacted the LAPD.

In the meantime, we're told the theater has "beefed up" security around Fantasia -- and all over the venue -- and will be screening anything sent to Barrino's dressing room before it gets to her.

Fantasia tells TMZ, "I will not be defeated by one isolated person's hatred."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

kromen

Line up the usual suspects....

AJ

Hey Fantasia keep your chin up, hate is one of the worst emotions mankind can hold in their heart, eventually it will eat them up. I have seen you on A Idol and I think you are a wonderful entertainer, you are right not to let one person's hate stop you. If you did let that happen the world would not be blessed with your talent. So to let you know when it comes to you, I think there is more love than hate. May your career soar and good things happen for you!

monique

the haters are going to hate "BUCK UM", cause america is where we came from. He is probably still mad at the fact that Obama is the man!!!! what a sore loser

jelize

Hey girls:]
Do you love fashion like I do? In the face of the recession, isn't it annoying to find "cheap" clothing advertised in magazines that's really $100? I think so too!
Check out my blog, http://commonncouture.blogspot.com/ Thanks!

homer smith

To #5 - so, Obummer is the man?? Hell, I always thought obummer was just a really ugly-ass woman, and I'm black myself. Come on, how many really great stars get this stuff all the time, and I can assure you, they don't make a big thing out of it. Probably an attempt to get publicity.

tim

Obama sucks as pres. and Fantasia has no talent.

Walter

Sounds like someone needs some publicity for their poorly attended show.

gotmyjd2003

It's pretty interesting that this incident was reported by her manager. Sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

californiacutie

Fantasia is a great woman, I cannot comprehend anyone sending her such hateful mail. And her big smile is so bright!!!!

On the other hand, her brother "Teeny" is such a freeloader-it is disgusting. But as far as Fantasia, she supports her family and is a great singer. I congratulate her on all her success! And I hope her to continue a great career in the music world.

Icebaby

I don't like her. No talent. But I can't stand these freaks who are way too obsessed with celebrities. They love them, yet they want to kill them. This guy though, doesn't take kindly to this woman. And Obama sucks!

Mark

Wait, you mean this is the first time she ever got an email calling her names and saying that she sucks? She should be happy about that, not calling the police.

Mark

Oh it was real mail, sorry.

Still... this seems like something that would happen pretty often.

Florida

Are we sure it was really hate mail? She could be confused after all she doesn't know how to read. Never learned... really look it up. Unless they drew pictures on the letter so she could understand.

QuestionEverything

im surprised this no talent slug has anyone who cares enough to even want to threaten her.and walter is right about the attendance being waaaay down for the show so its possible this is a publicity ploy.american idol has been proven to be a very crooked show after they kept that sanjaya thing around with no talent but was controversy for the show.just because your on the show doesnt mean you have talent it could be a look like that justin things hair and the boy band image that was pop at that time.

Axlholic