Fantasia Barrino

High Alert

After Hate Mail

2/20/2010 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia Barrino is under a self-imposed lockdown -- after the "American Idol" champ received a threatening letter.

It all started last night at the Pantages Theater in L.A. -- Fantasia was reading her fan mail after a performance of "The Color Purple."

Fantasia's manager tells us Barrino became alarmed over a disturbing letter loaded with racial slurs -- including the n-word -- and a line that read, "go back where you came from and die."

We're told the person who wrote the letter claims he used to work as a security guard for Fox while Fantasia was on "A.I."

Fantasia's manager tells us the singer immediately contacted theater security -- which then contacted the LAPD.

In the meantime, we're told the theater has "beefed up" security around Fantasia -- and all over the venue -- and will be screening anything sent to Barrino's dressing room before it gets to her.

Fantasia tells TMZ, "I will not be defeated by one isolated person's hatred."

Scott

Guess those loony Jasmine Trias fans are still bitter.

Tammy L.M.

Ok, call me crazy but does this seem all that necessary? Who doesn't get hate mail from angry hater-fans? What's the big deal? Ok, this sounds like a publicity stunt to draw more attention to the show.

Susan Manis Pearland Tx

Fantasia, While I am sure this is upsetting to you and agree you were right in beefing up security. I want to tell you to NOT let these physcos win ! We love you girl !!

Nancy

I saw Fantasia in The Color Purple Wednesday night and she was FANTASTIC! Her voice was perfect for the character of Celie. I wasn't a Fantasia fan before I saw the show (I didn't have an opinion about her one way or the other), but I was when it was over. It's a shame that some people hate themselves so much that it spills out onto others. And I'm white, by the way.

Brian

Definably a publicity stunt.

Laughing

You all must of missed it - Fantasia went back to high school and earned her diploma after she won AI. Now who looks stupid????

Joe M...

This is so sad....I Love her voice and her personality. Very sweet kind hearted women....although, I dont care for her brother who is always hitting her up for cash.
I hope they get this guy an teach him a lesson.
P.S. I am 100% Italian...and white....for the record.

Lizzy

Who cares about this bitch. Isn't her 15 minutes of fame over already. Get over yourself your not that famous.

Michael

Wonder who read the note to her??

SDouglas

At least she hasn't disappeared from the scene like David Cook and Taylor Hicks.

justice is mine says the lord

everyone who negatively commented probably know who sent the note. At the least its obvious you condone the behaviour. How awful there are still bigots and Archie Bunker types living in this country.

Phil Sheridan

Oh Brother give me a break!! Fantasia you are no Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner is not going to save you!! Sounds like alot of self generated publicity for a poor performer in an= less than inspiring production...

Makenna

That note bothered her? I take it she doesn't read TMZ or other blog sites. Talk like that about various celebs or even other posters is common. It's become a past time to rip everyone to shreds. It can be very therapeutic.

http:www.capstonebpo.com

What do these people get from such acts? If they so much 'feel' it why not talk to the person right away? This is probably the most easy way to tell that someone hates someone without a purpose to sort out the hatred.

JD

Sounds like somebody hasn't been getting enough attention.