The 'Lost' Diary -- Lighthouse

2/24/2010 8:19 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

LostWelcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

I judge people based on the TV shows they watch. For example: I met a girl at a bar last night. Extremely attractive, at one point she became infinitely more attractive when she told me she loved "The Wire" and couldn't wait to get home to watch "Lost." Had those two shows been replaced by "Law & Order" and some reality show on VH1, I probably wouldn't have liked her as much as I did. TVGuide.com should start a personals section -- I'd be all over it.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am watching this Wednesday morning because of the above-mentioned social engagement and my kitchen flooding, which was awesome. Let's roll ...

9:00 -- Watching the "Previously on 'Lost'" makes me realize: I REALLY WANT TO SEE CHRISTIAN TONIGHT.

9:01 -- Jack doesn't remember having his appendix out. Odd, right?

9:02 -- Jack has a son that inherited his hair. That's even odder.

9:03 -- "I could eat." -- Hurley. Not odd.

9:04 -- When Jacob told Hurley that "someone is coming to the island," every hair on my arms stood up. Liking where this is going.

9:07 -- Jack and his son don't seem to have a good relationship. Is "who is the mother of Jack's son?" gonna be the big reveal?

9:09 -- Claire seems totally normal except for the fact she doesn't bathe and is now Rousseau 2.0.

9:11 -- "I'm a big fan of temples and history and Indiana Jones stuff." -- Hurley

9:12 -- I have come to the conclusion that every scene not involving Hurley and Jacob is going to suck tonight. I hope I am wrong.

9:13 -- "He's dead, turns up wherever he wants ... like Obi-Wan Kenobi." -- Hurley

9:18 -- So Claire is crazy, and she thinks The Others have her kid.

9:19 -- "I'm not by myself." -- Claire. Christian, perhaps?

9:20 -- "Jack (laughing), I almost shot you." -- Kate. Oh, so hysterical.

9:23 -- A lot of boring talk between Jack and his mom leading up to the Claire revelation. Again, more Jacob, please!

9:24 -- So Claire is nuts, but she's only kinda nuts cause she thinks The Others have her kid. Sound familiar? Rousseau 2.0, for sure.

9:25 -- So Christian is still on the island poking around, but who is Claire's "friend"? Jacob?

9:26 -- If a crazy woman asks you if you are still her friend, you always say YES. Jin is no fool.

9:30 -- Jack and Hurley found Shannon's inhaler and the caves.

9:31 -- "What if these skeletons are us?" -- Hurley

9:32 -- "Because he wasn't in it." -- Jack

9:33 -- Jack's son has gone MIA. When a guy says "Whatever I did, I'm sorry" -- that's usually reserved for a woman.

9:34 -- "Very old school. You and me, trekking through the jungle to do something we don't understand. Very old school." -- Hurley

9:35 -- "I was broken. And I was stupid enough to think this place could fix me." -- Jack

9:36 -- Jack is amazed they've never seen the lighthouse before -- AND SO AM I.

9:37 -- "Kate took Aaron." -- Jin

9:38 -- Despite all the evidence, Claire still hacked that guy in the stomach with an ax. So, yeah ... she's nuts.

9:42 -- I've always wanted to kick open a jammed door.

9:43 -- So Jack's kid can really play the piano -- do we know of anyone he may have inherited that from?

9:44 -- "I don't know." -- Jack to Dogen. That had to hurt.

9:45 -- I paused the TV as Hurley made the mirrors move around, and there are names crossed out at each degree. "Linus" is one of them, and it appears "Wallace" is at 108 -- but that's crossed out too.

9:46 -- Jack found his name on the wheel and is turning the lighthouse to that number.

9:47 -- "It's the house I grew up in ... He's been watching us the whole time." -- Jack

9:48 -- If you want answers, try not breaking the magic mirrors. Just saying.

9:53 -- Scene where stereotypical father/son issues get resolved.

9:57 -- "I had to get you and Jack as far away from that temple as I could ... because someone is coming there. Someone bad." -- Jacob

9:58 -- Now Jin has decided the correct course of action is to lie to a crazy person. I do not agree.

9:59 -- "Am I interrupting?" -- Not Locke. This must be the bad man headed to the temple.

10:00 -- "That's not John, this is my friend." -- Claire

People complain about "Lost" all the time, but there is really only one time where "Lost" really annoys me -- when you know nothing in the middle really matters and they are just setting you up for the last 10 minutes.

Those last 10 minutes are cool, but parts in the middle really blow.

So the question becomes, is the end worth the middle? In this case, I vote ... maybe a little.

(By the way, this same theory works when judging women in the crazy/hot debate. You can deal with a crazy woman so long as she's hot ... but at some point the crazy outweighs the hot. See: Jolie, Angelina)

I give this episode a C-. I am willing to accept that this episode is a bridge to another episode, but on its own I found it more frustrating that anything. But I loved the Hurley/Jacob stuff, so that kinda saved it.

Lisa

Gosh...Part of me feels really conflicted about that whole hot/crazy chick comparison you threw out. :-/
Crazy-ass Claire is pretty funny if only because she's so damn nuts.
Here's another good recap for your reading pleasure:

spencer

I give this episode a D+ maybe a C- So... Being that this is the forth episode into the final season. The writers need to stop giving us spring board episodes. Maybe one here and there but the last three episodes have been okay. Nothing amazing.

Two, maybe three of the last episodes could have been put into 1 episode. But the writers keep stretching it out! LOST used to keep me on my toes. Maybe it will turn around. I hope FAST!

flower

Hey MightyMad -

You know what else isn't rocket science?
Spelling and grammar.

MightyMad

'Bout time!

Lena

In this alternate-reality flash-sideways world, are appendix scars on the opposite side of the body? Or were we viewing Jack viewing his scar through a mirror?

MightyMad

__________________________________________________

... If you're not a parent, Dan - I get it, man: you're not, so it's cool. But wait until you get kids...

____________________________________________________

Christian's a surgeon; Jack's a surgeon. You know what pianists and surgeons have in common? GREAT HANDS. Duh....

I found the middle to be way more interesting than you did, Dan - more interesting than the whole 'What Kate Does' episode anyway. So it's more a B- for me.

Anna

Yeah I think this episode sets up things for future eps, and I have a feeling that the next ep is going to be Clair's hair crazy.

I liked the part about Jack and his son, and making sure he doesn't make the same mistake that Christian made with Jack. Now, the question is who is the mom? I guess they are divorced now because Jack said to stay at his mom's home.

Hurley was on his A game as far a comedic relief. There were many lines I laughed out laugh.

But I really want to see Desmond, Penny, and Ben.

LostGrrl

Boo. Just as you judge people by the TV shows they watch, I must judge you by your immediate dislike of this ep. Not as good as last week, but a very good one anyway. Scene with Jack's son at the end -- great. Scene at the lighthouse -- great. And yes, Hurley is great. Can't wait to see what's next.

(You left out the great Miles line of the episode when he's playing tic-tac-toe with Hurley... HURLEY: It's a tie. MILES: Shocking.)

$$$

I say Present Day Jack is the "someone Bad" that is returning to the island...to destroy it since obviously his life without the island is the better of the two lives...so he has to destroy it to keep living the life he is now in.

Jenny

who is Christian?
After two seasons of not watching the show I am back into it but fumbling around trying to piece together what I missed.

Earthling

I didn't think I'd like Jacob because he was such a mystery for so long and they built him up so much that I didn't think any actor could meet up to my expectations, but I was wrong. I really love Jacob and the actor that plays him. Hurley's character is especially great this season. Loved when he previously saved Lock's day. That was really cool. Jacob & Hurley are my favorites this season so I'm pretty sure it's going to be a great final season.

chuck

I have a feeling the flash-sideways may not be sideways, but is what happens after the "war". I see the things on the island lead to what happens on the "flash" sequence. The lives of these characters actually turn for the best after what happens with the "war between notLocke and Jacob's followers".

Kate

Why the diss on Jolie - nothing to do with Lost -

Episode answsered some questions which I liked and love Hurley and Jacob - I agree with a B-

Earthling

I think the "someone bad" that is coming to the Temple is the Smoke Monster/not-Lock because Jin told Claire he could take her to the Temple to get her baby Aaron which then led to Smoke Monster/Not-Locke entering saying, "Hi Claire." This leads me to think Jin will take Smoke Monster/Not-Locke to the temple. Seems like this season will be a lot about Jacob v. Smoke Monster/Not-Locke.

$$$

the "someone bad" is coming to the island...smoke monster/not Locke is already there...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments