Gang Starr Rapper in Coma After Heart Attack

3/1/2010 9:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Gang Starr front man Guru is in a coma after suffering a heart attack yesterday.

The 43-year-old rapper -- real name Keith Elam -- is reportedly receiving treatment at a New York hospital ... where he is expected to undergo surgery later today.

According to his music partner -- DJ Premier -- the rapper is "fighting for his life." He is joined in the hospital by his sister Tricia, who said, "The family is handling it as best they can."

Gang Starr is known for 90s hits like "Code of the Streets" and "Mass Appeal."

Pete Best

Wishing him and his family all the best.

Luv-Lee

Prayers go out for Gang Starr and his family. I know he will pull through!!! Be strong man!!! You are TRUE HIP-HOP!! Definitley not apart of this sad Lil Wayne Generation that we are in today. You are the TRUTH. The REAL!!! PRAYERS TO YOU KEITH!!!

Audacious

GET WELL!
a Real Legendary Lyricist!
(BTW - TMz, he's not 43yrs.old.)

Sodo Mizer

God bless Guru, Gangstar is the best hands down. I have been into heavy metal for twenty years and I will never forget first hearing Gangstar in a early 90's skate video. I have listened to them ever since. They opened my ears to NYC.

ray ray

Add Guru and Premier and you have the formula for hip hop. This man tells the truth, not pushing the crap modern rappers do. I hope he gets well soon.

mooom

and who gives a damn??? one less idiot

King

It's all good?

JUST PASSING BY

Wow...this could happen to anyone without warning. On the real tip... send prayers to brotha Guru and his family. I believe in my heart that he will overcome this and return a stronger man.
As a big fan of his, I can testify that he is a very giving artist and person. I had only enough money to buy a ticket to his concert at the Cat's Cradle in NC. He gave me a free CD personally thanked me for attending his show, and gave a me a momento from the show.
I will always remember his kindness and will be a fan for life.
Lastly, donate blood to help save a life.

Greg

Man, this sucks, truly a great artist.

graz20

And he's still producing relevant work. Lets hope he makes a full recovery.

Markie

Best Wishes to Gang Starr on a Speedy Recovery

tangie

Omg this is so sad, I was just listening to Gang Starr over the weekend!I Love Mass Appeal and Dwyck!!! Love you Guru, You come from a generation when hip hop was at it best and you are part of the best! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

SOLARGETSTHESENUTS

"Wishing him well, and prayers to his family.
Peace and love to his current Producer of his last 3 albums
- SOLAR"

LMAO! if that's really solar then you're one pathetic man for trying to get attention off of this. no one cares who you are and your beats suck you lame.

get well guru.

Felicia Blackburn (Fi)

To me you are Keith, my homeboy, my brother! I remeber the days at Pratt and FIT and our dreams......you the infamous rapper and me the high fashion model. I've followed your career for over 20 years and have missed you everyday. I know the stuff you are made of and trust God that you will pull through this. Come back to us Keith you have so much more to do. I pray for your family too, and look forward to continuing to admire you from afar my dear friend. I love you......your Fi

Kim Blackburn

I am praying for you Keith Elam since i heard the news. I listen to Manifest daily as i have at least 2 of your CD's on my iPod. I officially met you at Virgin Records on Sunset Blvd., in Hollywood, CA. I PRAY you have a full recovery and i know that you will. You will do another JAZZAMATZ/GANGSTAR cd's before this year is out.... Stay positive and keep the faith you WILL RECOVER and live a long life!!! Be strong and keep praying Guru.. I hope to see you perform in Boston when u are better!!!! Take care!!!!! I am back in Boston MA-and will keep you and your family in my prayers!!!!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments