Speidi to Native Americans: It's Peace Pipe Time

4/2/2010 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Running Bear and White Wolf are now attempting to dislodge their moccasins from their mouths ... after their off-the-wall name changes pissed off multiple Native American groups.

Spencer "Running Bear" Pratt just told us: "Changing our names to Running Bear and White Wolf isn't meant to be disrespectful ... we respect [Native American] heritage and have a sincere acknowledgment of their beautiful culture."

Bear says he and Wolf "would like to invite any Native American tribal leaders to meet with us to help us further understand their culture" ... but we're guessing they'll only do it if cameras are rolling.

Jim

I am not an expert on Native American culture, but I believe that you do not choose your own Native American name, It is "given" to you by a tribal leader. Anyone can say they are changing names, but it means NOTHING until others start calling you by that name.

These two would be just a footnote on TV Guide if it weren't for TMZ, so....

I am changing my name to Harvey Levin, and I am not Jewish...so take that TMZ.

Red-Haze

STUPID A** WHITE f*** AND HIS DUMB A** B**CH!!! THEY SHOULD JUST GIVE IT UP!!! NO ONE GIVES A FLYING F*** ABOUT THEM ANYWAY!!! I KNOW PEOPLE WITH THOSE NAMES!!! STOP F***ING WITH US!!!

Rich

ohellnaw
You are so full of it. You were to submitted by the government. The only two unceded first nations are the Seminoles of Florida and a band from Manitolin Island in Canada. You soux have to quit BSing everyone. And yes you were chased out into the bad lands. You did not choose to be there but you adapted to the environment.

ohellnaw

ughhh reggie, were did u learn history? still dont care to mention what tribe u r huh? its kewl if ur not proud of em but to educate you the Lakota people are a plains people in face my tribal name Oglala Lakota, Oglala=plains so were are the lakota of the plains, and unless the meaning has changed thats exactly were our reservations are, on the plains. And your gonna tell me that the U.S. Government just decided to give us so much land that our original reservation was so massive it stretched thru 6 different states? wow then we must have done something right, like i said, do some research before you speak on it son.

Rich

Like I said you are full of it. You were originally chased out of the great lakes area into the plains. And of that 6 state area how much do you have today? Every tribe in the US originally had huge territories. This is what I mean when I say you soux are in your own little world. You actually think you are the only indians here and you are very annoying to most indians I talk to. The word is that the soux think they are the only indians here and think they dictate indian policy. I have never heard a good word about them either. You need to straighten up and realize that the world is bigger than a flat prarie.

smash_inc

As a TRUE Native American, I absolutely take it as an insult that they would stoop to such a level! I hope the animal spirits of the bear and the wolf teach them a lesson.

Rich

Checked out your site, but it refers to after you got chased out into the plains. You were a beaten people and chased out into the bad lands. And what about your 6 state territory? How much do you have today? Just about every tribe in the states had enormous territories given to them. This is my point that the soux think they dictate policy and act like they are the only indians.

ohellnaw

dammit reggie, it say we were originally known as the dakota but the we split into 3, the dakota, lakota, and nakota, after we moved on our own the ojibwe inhabited the area and we got along very well with them even to this day, i mean in case u didnt hear, native americans are a nomadic people and dont just stay in one place, at least my people did, y r u so angry toward the lakota? its like dude get over it, ur opinion really doesnt matter and all ur bitching and moaning is just entertainment, r u even native american or u just one of the hundreds of wannabees out there like this heidi and spencer that think they know more about native culture and history than actual native americans do? or r u one of the people that has 2 drops of blood and that yout think makes u native or maybe ur a cherokee who of course can never actually prove it but u know cause ur great great grandparent was 1/4 or something dumb like that?

REALbarbwire7

PLEASE! Why is the media allowing this couple to make fools of everyone around them. They are two wacked out kids, with no talent, and are not celebrities for anything (except for their desperate desire to BE celebs). E! Online had banned any news about these two. Can TMZ follow suite?

Rich

ohellnaw
if you want to beleive your own BS go ahead, but dont think we are gonna buy it.

Well those two are entitled to be named and I dont think a soux indian has anything to say about it. If those two want to be identified by their indian names that is a good thing for them. They dont have to give a rats ass what the soux indians think about it.

fd68cecc

if TMZ and other outlets stopped reporting on these two they may fade into the backgroud. I'm just sayin!

airstreamingypsy

Please, no more of these two morons..... no one cares what these idiots are doing.

Their 15 minutes has been over for a long time.

Pistol

Or, they could check in first at the library, put some effort into researching the Native American history, search out a local expert and make an appointment to put further effort into learning a thing or two. Maybe they could check out an assembly.

What lazy self-involved slobs.

me

I am algonquin and cree and i honestly dont really have a problem with them wanting native american names. its all just new-agey to me. i dont have a "native name" but whatever...i just learned myself from reading comments that an elder has to give them names for it to be honorable. maybe they should of researched it more.

me

oh yeah, everyone says they are "cherokee" too....come on! PLEASE!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments