The 'Lost' Diary -- Happily Ever After

4/7/2010 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

LostWelcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

Apparently last week, one of the co-creators of "Lost" tweeted, "In one week, the conversation is going to change." Now, this is different than ABC's promo people telling us "all our questions will be answered." Those people are morons. This is one of the God's of the "Lost" universe reaching down and delivering us this message. Needless to say, I have heard his call.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. Let's roll ...

9:00 -- Every time I see an eye slowly open, I get goosebumps.

9:01 -- So much I kind of forgot -- Desmond is married to Penny, they have a kid, and Ben shot him at the pier. You know a show is difficult to watch when you can't remember which dimension certain things happened in.

9:03 -- A giant box hooked up to wires. Anyone else thinking about Ben's "box" from back in the day?

9:04 -- "Are we ready?" -- Widmore. Based on the charred looking guy on the floor, I'd say not.

9:07 -- Widmore is strapping Desmond to a chair that is in a box where a guy just got fried to death -- and AFTER THAT, he wants Desmond to make a sacrifice. This Widmore guy doesn't ask for much, huh?

9:08 -- So apparently Widmore needs Desmond to survive a catastrophic electromagnetic event (again) so he can (perhaps) survive another. Apparently Desmond is Superman.

9:10 -- "The test" has triggered Desmond's flash sideways -- and he has met Hugo and Claire in the first few moments.

9:11 -- Desmond's driver is George from the freighter. Ok these little coincidences are fun, but it's starting to get to be a bit much.

9:12 -- Desmond works in an office? He's not married? This is sideways, alright.

9:13 -- No shocker -- Widmore is the boss. This is now a flash opposite.

9:18 -- Widmore's son is alive?

9:19 -- Desmond and Charlie are back together. Just like old times.

9:20 -- Charlie and Desmond are talking love about 10 seconds into their conversation. Seems a little contrived.

9:22 -- Charlie's story of love as he nearly choked and died on the plane -- he's talking about Claire, right?

9:23 -- "There's always a choice, brutha." -- Desmond

9:25 -- Ok, here's my thing about car accidents in the movies and TV -- the car is careening out of control (in this case Charlie has grabbed Desmond's hands to swerve the car off the road). Did Charlie also grab his foot so he couldn't just hit the break? Gets me mad every time.

9:27 -- NOT PENNY'S BOAT. GOOSEBUMPS.

9:32 -- Desmond's doctor isn't Jack? I am shocked.

9:33 -- "Wearing any metal?" -- MRI tech. An MRI takes 30 minutes? Never knew that.

9:34 -- Desmond had flashes of Penny and went understandably ape shit.

9:35 -- Desmond finally finds Jack (small hospital) and now he's chasing Charlie around.

9:36 -- "Start looking for Penny." -- Charlie

9:41 -- Mrs. Widmore is going to be Eloise Hawking. Mark it down.

9:42 -- Too easy.

9:43 -- Eloise recognized Desmond right away, didn't she?

9:44 -- "What happened, happened." -- Eloise

9:45 -- Eloise knows that Desmond is looking for Penny. How? I don't know. Cool? Absolutely. More goosebumps? Affirmative.

9:46 -- "We need to talk." -- Daniel Widmore. Remember: "If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume is my constant."

9:51 -- Farraday is explaining to Desmond, essentially, that they are all having their non-flash sideways lives bleed over into their flash sideways live. Desmond = Penny, Charlie = Claire, Farraday = physics. Sounds like someone got the short end of the stick.

9:52 -- "What if this wasn't supposed to be our life?" -- Farraday

9:53 -- "I don't want to set off a nuclear bomb, Mr Hume. I think I already did." -- Farraday. Any minute now Jack is gonna run in and scream, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!"

9:54 -- "She's my half-sister." -- Farraday

9:55 -- Not gonna lie -- when Desmond introduced himself and shook Penny's hand, and then woke up back in the box, it got a little dusty in here.

9:56 -- "When do we start?" -- Desmond

9:57 -- Sayid just killed a few people in a few seconds and now Desmond is wandering off with him. Desmond doesn't seem with it.

9:58 -- Desmond asks Penny to get coffee and she agrees. Why is it so dusty in here?

10:00 -- "I just need to show them something." -- Desmond

Where to begin?

Ok, for anyone who thought "Lost" was dragging its feet and needed to start to bring this plane in for landing (*raising hand) this is the episode that should squash that.

It seems the plane flight has triggered something in everyone -- they now have a glimpse into their lives as they are "supposed to be." At some point, it seems, the timelines will merge. How? No clue.

But I think when they are said and done, the flash sideways timeline will prevail but the Losties will get the good that has come from being on the island. Maybe Charlie gets with Claire, Desmond finds Penny, Sawyer gets the closure from killing the Real Sawyer, Jack becomes a better father, Jin and Sun get together ... and on and on.

After all, the title of the episode was "Happily Ever After."

This was a pantheon episode of "Lost." Immediately belongs in the top tier with "Walkabout" and "The Constant." The argument I was having with my friend Matt -- could any "Lost" fan dislike this episode? My friend Matt hasn't said a good thing about an episode of "Lost" in like four years and he was blown away by last night's ep.

This is a definite A. Didn't have to think much about it. Highly quotable, great acting, a few dusty moments, and a plot that everyone can get with.

I am finally safely ready to say I am ready for "Lost" to end. We're headed on the right track now and I am walking into the light at peace.

Marissa

What do you mean by dusty?

You were right, about the whole Desmond being the constant and necessary to right the whole sideways issue.

Also probably one of my favorite episodes.

JJ

Are you flipping kidding me? Charlie returns from the dead and the episode is an A? I almost puked when he returned. Life was too good to be true without him around. But I must say Desmond, clean and shaven driving a Mercedes, was worth seeing. Other than that these flash forwards, flash sideways, flash opposities, flash fantastics have my head spinning and I have more answers than questions and ain't no way they are going to clear it up in 5 episodes. They are setting it up for "Lost; The Saga Continues."

pk

Bob

I must have missed something because I actually thought it was the most boring episode yet. I miss the repeat episodes with the words at the bottom, cause I am really getting lost.

cedramyers

I could not sleep all last night. Having dreams about last night lost. It was good. I got dejavu when he had his MRI. Definite top grade episode.

cedramyers

I think all of them is in the insane asylum with Hurley and dreaming all this up.

Ogreeley

Did you notice the painting in Widmore's office? It was a scale like the one in the cave.

Violette-Blue

Loved last night's episode. Seeing Desmond clean shaving and dressed up did my dreams real well. I'm confused about a few things...always am when it comes to LOST, but I really did love last night's ep.
PS: If you don't enjoy the show, why waste your time watching it and then wasting out time having to read your absurb comments that you didn't like it? Go the f away.

peggy

RE:

People on foot, bike or slower vehicle being chased and not going sideways or turning around -- gets me made every time. It's like, kid, you and your bike just are not going to outride that plane making an emergency landing - get off the bloody runway - don't try to out race it.

Marissa

Good catch, ogreeley.

BHAMS

More of my crazy theories...

The flash-sideways was created when Jughead (bomb) went. However, this event had unintended consequences. Namely, when it sinks the island, Jacob loses control over Smokey, and there is no possibility that candidates can be found since the island is gone. So I believe the flash sideways we are seeing is a result of Smokey's influence.

Smokey has been telling people that he can essentially make their dreams come true. For instance, he told Sayid he'd be able to see the love of his life again - which I will assume means Nadia. But, there's a catch 22. In the flash-sideways, Sayid does indeed get to see Nadia, but he doesn't get to be with Nadia. Desmond is essentially told the same thing by Eloise - he's getting what he always wanted, Widmore's approval. The only catch, he doesn't have Penny in this world (at least not until the end) and Eloise seems to infer that he's only supposed to have one or the other.

When Desmond finds and touches Penny, this acts like a reverse constant to get him back to the original timeline. He has managed to locate the thing he had to give up when Smokey's influence took over. The same thing will happen with Charlie if he is able to locate Claire, and Dan if he is able to locate Charlotte. Desmond's mission is now to help the other 815 passengers see these visions. Once they do, they need to reach out and find the person or thing they are missing in this sideways world. The end goal? Prevent Smokey from getting off the island so that these flash sideways don't become a reality. Even if he loses her, Desmond understands that a life without Penny isn't a life worth living - just like Charlie began to understand that a life without Claire isn't worth it. If Smokey wins, that is essentially what will happen. So Desmond is more than willing to help Widmore and prevent it.

Of course, this question now becomes, how do Eloise and Widmore seem to know about both timelines? The reason Eloise knew about Desmond in the original timeline is because in 1977 she received Dan's journal. I believe that journal is filled with various notes about the people he encountered on the island - which would include Desmond living in the Swan and pushing the button. This is why Widmore was always such an ass to Desmond, because he knew Desmond would have to go to the island and he didn't want his daughter Penny to be left alone or hurt by it. It's also how Eloise knew to stop Desmond from giving the ring to Penny. In the sideways world, even though Jughead detonated and created another timeline, Eloise still has Dan's journal. So even though she is living a different life, she still knows about the original timeline.

MightyMad

_______________________________________

Man, do I agree with you, brutha.

yourebusted

3. You sure were watching the same show? Last night suxed! I fell alsleep it was so boring. Be very happy when this root canal of a show is done

Posted at 3:03PM on Apr 7th 2010 by pk

PK, WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? EVERY WEEK YOU COME HERE AND PUT DOWN THIS SHOW, SAYING HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT...WHY DO YOU KEEP WATCHING IT THEN? I REALIZE IT'S WAY OVER YOUR HEAD AND YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT, SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST WATCH SESAME STREET INSTEAD? THAT IS MORE ON YOUR LEVEL.

bobinator

Post #9 J Ums... I like your ideas. This line you wrote..."The only catch, he doesn't have Penny in this world (at least not until the end) and Eloise seems to infer that he's only supposed to have one or the other." That was the violation that Eloise was talking about. Makes sense. Brilliant, just brilliant. I love LOST, but it mostly makes my head hurt!

deux02

You know thinking about JUms theory, everyone who loves someone in realtime does not get to be with that person in flashsideways. Whether its because of smokey or not, im not sure. Sayid is Nadia's brother in law. Jin is just a bodyguard. Desmond is a workerbee. Jack is divorced. Kate is still running from the law while Sawyer is a cop(lol) on his reveng mission. Charlie is cracked out. Claire is still knocked up. Its like everyone that hooked up kinda got shafted in the flashsideways. Who else am i missing? Goodwin/juliet/jack, hurley/libby, sayid/shannon/boone?

Come to think of it, the only person who gets to find and keep love is the real John Locke and Peggy Bundy

Perhaps that theme that everyone will disapper if smokey gets off the island has to do with the fact that the flash sideways will become reality and the now reality will cease to exist.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments