Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

NiyasTsuj

Oh No! I didn't know she wasn't doing well. I just saw her on a commercial the other day. She was as beautiful as ever. This is so sad. She was one classy lady and we'll all miss her. Designing Women was a great series. I wish they'd start showing it again.

BigMomma

Such sad news. She was a classy actress. I loved her as Julia Sugarbaker. She was bigger that life. They don't make them like her anymore.

John

RIP Dixie. Her husband, Jimmy, was a good president.

donna

One of my favorite actresses. Her light radiated in my home weekly with Designing Women. To the Holbrook family, your wife and mother and friend was a woman of 'class' and she brought elegance and high standands to her profession for this you can be proud. Now she is with family who went before her and most importantly she is with God in Heaven. My sympathies and I am blessed to have enjoyed her humor and joy of acting. Thank you.

shannon

RIP, very sad.

Lorrie

I absolutely loved her on Designing Women! May God bless her and the Blessed Virgin Mary keep her.

Mikey

RIP

kimmy

Such sad news. Dixie Carter was a truly elegant Southern lady and was always proud of her southern roots. May she rest in peace.

One of my favorite TV quotes came from Dixie playing the character of Julia Sugarbaker...

Yes, you can give him a message. You do take shorthand, don't you? Good, we take it in the South too. Anyway, just tell him that I have been a Southerner all my life, and I can vouch for the fact the we do eat a lot of things down here... and we've certainly all had our share of grits and biscuits and gravy, and I myself have probably eaten enough fried chicken to feed a third world country - not to mention barbecue, cornbread, watermelon, fried pies, okra, and... yes... if I were being perfectly candid, I would have to admit we have also eaten our share of crow, and for all I know - during the darkest, leanest years of the Civil War, some of us may have had a Yankee or two for breakfast. But... speaking for myself and hundreds of thousands of my Southern ancestors who have evolved through many decades of poverty, strife, and turmoil, I would like for Mr. Weaks to know that we have surely eaten many things in the past, and we will surely eat many things in the future, but - God as my witness - we have never, I repeat, never eaten dirt!

hung and dashing

I have a really hard time believing she was only 70.

I mean, I believe that it might be the age listed on her bio.

And I believe that maybe she convinced herself into believing it.

But only 70??

She was in her 50s nearly 30 years ago. Which doesn't add up to only 70.

JLS

I am so shocked! RIP, Dixie. My sympathy to her beloved family. She will be so missed!

Bu

RIP Dixie

dm99

How shocking and sad!I didn't hear that she was ill. Seventy now is the old 55. My thoughts and prayers go out to her Husband and Daughters. May God comfort them at this difficult time.

mike thomas

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog Interviewer. We'd like to give you the opportunity to give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can be submitted online here Submit your interview.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

susani

Dixie Carter:Dixie Carter, best known as Julia Sugarbaker on the hit show Designing Women, has died at the age of 70. Dixie Carter

Dwight B

Dixie truly going to be missed i love her on Designing Women a classy lady RIP.