« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

LPGA Star's Father -- It Was 'No Suicide'

5/11/2010 12:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0511_erica_blasberg_EX_gettyErica Blasberg's father is adamant that the 25-year-old LPGA superstar did not take her own life in Nevada this weekend -- insisting she was "very upbeat" in the days before her death on Sunday.

TMZ spoke with Mel Blasberg, who tells us he had visited Erica at her home in Henderson, Nevada on Thursday and spoke with her on the phone on Friday -- and both times she seemed "very upbeat."

In fact, Mel tells us Erica was excited to play in a golf tournament in Alabama this week  ... and had already packed her brand new golf bag in her car for the drive to the airport Saturday morning. But Erica never made her flight.

Mel tells us a friend discovered the golfer in her bed on Sunday.

Mel notes that Erica had just returned from the Tres Marias Championship tournament in Mexico ... and in what would be her final round, she shot an astounding -3.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

solar panel

It's very suspicious at this point and no doubt if it was murder, the chase is on to discover the facts while the guilty cross their fingers while on the getaway (though they may be very closeby). It's not unjustified to suspect a link to other news stories of the day.

csp

It's not uncommon for people who have made the decision to end their life to be "upbeat" prior to the suicide.

noneofyourbusiness

The reason is irrelevant-it's very sad none the less. I feel very badly for her friends and family. Peace be with you.

Blaine

Every time I hear of a yuonger person who died, I can't help but think of my wifes sisters' suicide (hung herself). Sadly, most people are AFRAID to admit that one of their family members committed such an act, but if more people came out of the closet and STOOD UP to these freakin Drug companies, MAYBE something good would happen and the almighty dollar chase by the Drgu companies would be banished forever. I sincerely HOPE that if this girl did such a thing, the family is BRAVE enough to step uo to the plate....they have a national platform to do so.

Harley

Krissy Taylor Died from heart failure due to DRUGS! Idiot, this woman probably scored her some pills from mexico and they were toxic, instead of being what she thought they were such as oxy's & roxy's

twilightmom

Professor Obvious-
It is pretty "obvious" to me, that you are P.R.I.C.K.
Oh, and have a nice day! *******!

jpm4444

I worry sometimes when people are so protective of their private lives when they are athletes. Look at Tiger and Steve McNair. She comes from family money, has no financial worries, golfs when she wants to; is pretty and popular; was a bubbly and fun person per her friends and family; this is not a suicide in my mind.

There is a guy involved here somewhere. Most women under thirty that die are either killed by a present or past lover. It's a very sad story.

my2cents

I have been "very upbeat" on the outside many times while on the inside I'm ready to check out. Fortunately? I was unsuccessful. Children do not want to worry their parents with their problems, and that is why they put on their "happy face" but the minute they're alone, it's not a pretty sight.

It is a loss because she was a beautiful young girl with her whole life ahead of her.

dd

aND SHE WAS DIABETIC!

shanbeth

She was beautiful and successful whether she was the the #1 in the 'The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA)' or last.
I understand. I was a successful athlete in my younger years, high school and a Division 1 college in Boston, pretty, tall (5'10") and have a great job now. I also have a beautiful son. I have also come to terms that I have manic-depression. My mother committed suicide when I was 27 after multiple attempts. My mother is at peace in heaven now and so am I but still living and happy! I am 43you now.
Peace to her Family and Loved ones.
Her family is grieving. Let them grieve in peace.

stoic

just wondering , because in the post before the person mentioned that they were beufiful and even mentioned their height.

i was wondering why was this information relavant. so i would like to know ifthere was some statistic which shows wehter beaufiful people are less likely to kill themselves than ugly ones? is there any study done? i'm really serious

Durelle

Suicidal people are always upbeat before they kill themselves, b/c the pain will soon be over. I'm curious to know if she had been giving things away prior to her death.

Dirk

Chances are she was on anti-depressants. Anti-depressants can cause some people to have feelings of suicide, among other side effects. The family should sue the drug company for millions if this turns out to be the case.

LaLa

Well said, Andy. She was a beautiful and talented young lady who was taken away too soon, and "Professor" Ob(li)vious has no right to question, strip or belittle her of her chosen professional title.

fldkfj

i suspect is was a suicide, her and her father had a competitive mindset and heated relationship in college golf and it was a well known fact--if my memory serves me right, i remember in 2004 at the NCAA championship her and her father shouting at each other on the practice range. she had a hard transition to pro golf, and he proabably just doesn't want people thinking that he was too hard of a parent. moreover, the loss must be devastating.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments