Bret Michaels

Hospitalized for Heart Problems

5/20/2010 6:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret MichaelsBret Michaels was rushed back to the hospital this week where doctors claim they found a "hole in the heart."

According to Bret's rep, the singer was complaining about "numbness on the left side of his body, predominately his face and hands."

After a series of tests, doctors concluded that Michaels had suffered a "Transient Ischemic Attack -- more commonly referred to as a "warning stroke."

During the tests, the doctors say they found that Bret had a Patent Forum Ovale -- which is essentially a hole in the heart.

Doctors say Bret's condition is "operable and treatable." The docs also don't believe the "warning stroke" is related to Bret's brain hemorrhage.

Bret will be treated with outpatient care -- which includes a daily injection of a blood thinner.

Bret's rep also notes that the singer is in "good spirits, great medical hands and is positive and hopeful that everything is going to be OK."

The rep concludes, "He is up, walking, talking, continuing his daily rehab and very happy to be alive but he has made it clear he is sick and tired of being in the hospital and is ready to rock again."

Previous Today in TMZ History

Irene

Age and all the party years are catching up to him. He needs to accept the fact that as you get older you don't bounce back like you used to. Hard for all of us but he needs time to heal.

rexcars

He's done. All the cocaine and drugs and drinking have put his body into a fragile state.

Toni

Brett: Watched your Rock of Love, fell in love with you as a person. Loved your songs beforehand. You need to kick back and smell the roses (thorn or not) and not tour right away. I've had two strokes and a TIA like you, lost feeling in one leg and arm and face. Got it all back; but count yourself lucky. It's just a warning what could come and I've experienced them! Rest, man. Enjoy your family. Would rather have you alive in a few years than dead while touring. Not worth it!

Nancy

He'd better be rockin' alcohol-free if he's on blood thinners. . . .

bennettmufson

Just saw him on Oprah and he looked well.
Like so many others will pray for him, The good thing is he has great care and with this tune up he will be better than ever and will rock for another 47 yrs.
Real nice of T.M.Z. to post this there hearts are as big and kind
as Bretts.

Lori

The poor guy is falling apart! I've never been a fan of hard rock/ metal, but I did like him during the "Oprah" and I hope he gets well. He just needs to keep his little girls in mind and do what the doctor says.

bring back recent posts

Heparin is givin thru IV for immediate dissolving of blood clot, which was causing the tia in his brain, unfortunately, it also puts u at high risk as does Coumiden ( which is what he will take in pill form when off the Heparin drip) of gettin bleed outs in the brain, this guy is on a vicious circle now for his age, nobody will insure him, his performing days r numbered, I just pray WHEN he gets the next brain attack..cause he has had TWO now..that he isn't left a vegetable or in a wheelchair the rest of his life..good luck kiddo!

Kate

Wow, it's one thing after another for Brett Michaels. I hope they get him healthy soon. Poor guy.

Mayu

my heart goes out to Brett, especially after I saw him on Oprah tearing up when he listened to his daughter's fears. I wish him a very speedy recovery... I was rooting for him on Celebrity Apprentice from Day 1 because Diabetes has effected my family greatly. My mom's baby brother, and the uncle we kids were closest to growing up, lost limbs and eventually died due to diabetic complications, and my mom also is diabetic... but has it under control thankfully. I myself am borderline, but with a proper diet and work out regime I've been able to stave it off... So I was hoping he'd win big money for his charity! I want him to win Celebrity Apprentice!!

Brett get better!! your Charity needs you and so does the world of rock!

Tinalouise

He didn't look so good on Oprah and I actually thought his face/smile did look lopsided a little. It is a miracle that he is still here and there is not way that he is completely cured. I see a long road to recovery for him and I hope he gets better soon.

Jim

I hope all the people who commented on the previous article and talked **** about his bandana really feel good about themselves...Like comment #16 said...a lot of this probably isn't helped by the fact that he's been dealing with diabetes for all 46 years of his life. And granted he has been busy working these past few years as "Rock Of Love" has increased his visibility..so sue a guy for having a successful career. All you haters would probably trade places with him in a second...whether you'll admit it or not.

bring back recent posts

fishy won ton

I think Bret is an attention whore,hes become a victim of his own success he craves the spotlight...

You can not serve 2 masters this is what hes fighting... the world and the almighty...the almighty created the world so he has to listen...follow what you want, or you get cut down...family first Bret...you've had a good time...

Oh4fuxsake

Seriously, he needs to take some time OFF and get better. What is the big hurry to "rock" again! Just rest and get better!

dd

God is trying to tell you something Brett SLOOOOW Down, postpone the tour!