« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jose Lima Found Dead

5/23/2010 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Former MLB pitcher Jose Lima was found dead at home this morning of an apparent heart attack. He was 37.

His wife, Dorca Astacio, told ESPNdeportes.com, "Jose was complaining while sleeping and I just thought he was having a nightmare ... I called the paramedics, but they couldn't help him."

A rep for the L.A. County Coroner tells TMZ  the death is now under investigation, but that there are no signs of foul play.

Lima played 13 seasons for five different teams, the highlight being his 21 win season for the Houston Astros back in 1999.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

The Amazing Xenu

Kind of shocking, don't you all think? 37 and an athlete, his heart should have been in great shape. Drugs? Thoughts? Rest in Peace Jose.

DesertRat

I just had a heart attack on may 2nd. I thought it was anxiety.
need to know the symtoms and get to emergancy a.s.a.p.
r.i.p. jose,prayers for family.

Pretty LL

poor guy. i hope people don't assume drugs until there's an autopsy. 37 is way too young to die

lol

probably all the steroids he took back in the day..

it catches up to you my friends.

Betzy

Jose was a special person.... he had his good characteristis and his bad like all the rest of us. I pray for his family and son and hope that ppl realize that regardless of the reasons behind his death it is a sad time for those who love him. I can say that while we were married I was never aware of any drug use and he was very much against it. I hope and pray that he continued in that belief after our divorce. What's important right now is that we send out thoughts and prayers to those he left behind.

Lisa

I'll never forget the playoff game he pitched for the Dodgers vs. the Cardinals. What a game! He was so emotional. It was a lot of fun that night. RIP.

Watching

Wow, Norman Hand just died at the same age. Tragic.

Freddy

Damn this is messed up. He was always a colorful character on the mound. I always looked forward to seeing him pitch when he was in his prime. RIP Joe Table you'll be missed.

Rob

Very sad , he was so much fun to watch when he was in Houston and he always took time out for all the fans. I saw him sign things for about an hr before games when he was not pitching. He will be mist.

u8

R.I.P

Darlene

Thoughts & Prayers go out to his family, very sad!

Bryan

Who???

Professor Obvious

"Jose was complaining while sleeping". I thought I complained a lot but this guy has me beat.

Karen

Thank you Betzy for sharing. It is so sad for him to die so young. It is also very sad that so many people automatically think drugs. How many more young people are going to die because you all assume it's drugs or not recognize the symptoms? Bret Michaels is alive today because he recognized there was a problem & got to the hospital in time. I know it wasn't his heart but still.

Melanie

Who the fricken dies at 37? There's something definitely wrong here!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments